Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

Thread: Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

Hello all, need some help,
    I installed an in-dash tachometer and went on a test drive, everything seemed fine. Because I had made temporary electrical connections I just barely pushed the speedometer cable onto the back of the cluster knowing that I would be taking it off again soon. On the test drive the speedometer read fine.

After I made my wire connections more durable I put the cluster back in, only this time I made sure that I pushed the speedometer cable all the way on.

This time on the test drive my speedometer was jumping like crazy at all speeds, and I had not idea how fast I was going.

Should I remove the cable and simply push it partly onto the cluster or is there something else I need to do?
    Hidden Content Currently in the Stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser/show car, Donut maker, "Now with A/C & fuel injection" 10 Maxima SV- Mom's loaner car from Dad, 15 F150 Lariat SuperCab - Dad's Truck, 16 Suzuki Burgman 650 - Dad's 2 wheeled Toy

Re: Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

After I had time to think about my problem I did a similar post thread search here and sure enough someone else has had this problem, albeit in 2004 but I'm sure the advice still applies. I'll try and spray some lithium grease on the cable and see if that fixes the problem.
    Hidden Content Currently in the Stable: 69 Mercury Cougar - cruiser/show car, Donut maker, "Now with A/C & fuel injection" 10 Maxima SV- Mom's loaner car from Dad, 15 F150 Lariat SuperCab - Dad's Truck, 16 Suzuki Burgman 650 - Dad's 2 wheeled Toy

Did that do anything?
    Hidden Content '68 XR-7 428 Cobra Jet (464ci.) w/toploader, Gear Vendors overdrive, 9" equa-lok Waterloo, Iowa
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Well, I removed the cable from the back of the cluster and sprayed some lithium grease on it. Sad to say that the speedometer still jumps like crazy until I hit 75+ mph. I'm getting the fuel injection worked on next week and while it's on the lift I'll remove the cable on the transmission end and spray some grease on the cable on that side and see if that makes it better.

6. Re: Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

We used to pull the cable out of the sleeve, clean it well and rub a decent amount of White Lithium grease on it. Put it back in and that would fix the problem. Hopefully you do not have any kinks in the sleeve.

Ron, did you pull the cable from the bottom down or top up, and which way did you re-insert it?

8. Re: Speedometer is jumping erratically, after cable connection.

Quote Originally Posted by maxgig View Post
    Ron, did you pull the cable from the bottom down or top up, and which way did you re-insert it?
    From the top. Disconnect the cable housing from the speedo head and just pull the cable all the way out of the housing. Clean it and wipe it dry. Then we would use lubriplate grease and coat the cable. slide it back in the housing the way it came out (you may have to spin it with your hand when you get near the bottom so that the end will fit back into the gear in the transmission)
    You should be good to go.
    If you are experiencing a difficult time taking it out or getting it back in like it is getting hung up, you may have a kink in the housing someplace.

Good luck and hang in there. Like we always said "A man built this thing, I can fix it"

Ron
    Last edited by Ron of Chicago; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:12 PM.

Thread Information