Rear Air Shocks

Thread: Rear Air Shocks

Rear Air Shocks

Hello everyone, wanted to get a bit of feedback/opinions on the subject. I currently replaced the rear shocks for my 67 cougar with the help of my father in law with Air Shocks.

In law stated it's alright for what I want to do(more details on this below), he has 40 years of mechanic experience working on classics. Though I've had a FB group tell me that they may not be a good choice. I've also gone through various forums that kind of swing back and forth between yay and nay. Much like the one linked below. Which I believe I located here. From 07? And it appears a very experienced member at the time (Hawkrod) stated they would be fine provided the vehicle isn't abused.

https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/ar ... 21705.html

What I do and dont plan on doing and what's installed in link
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gab ... fEALw_wcB

Not racing, not stripping, avoiding daily driving (have work vehicle) Not raising it above 1inch (needed it for tire scuffing clearance) Current PSI is 40-45
    Mainly taking it to conventions, have clean roads in areas, don't plan on pulling any loads, maaaybe increase PSI a bit if heavier set folks ride with but otherwise keeping it low set and would be reset after said people out vehicle.

Re: Rear Air Shocks

This would be OK if the car had a full frame like a 1970 - 79 Torino. Unfortunately the shocks in your Cougar attach to the trunk floor which is very flimsy, especially now that the car is over 50 years old. The air shocks will cause failure of the area around the shock mounting in the trunk floor. It's super hard to fix, and expensive to fix. Not a good idea.
    Royce Peterson
    CCOA MEMBER #590
    1968 GT-E 427 XR-7 Augusta Green / Saddle It looks all stock Heh - Heh
    1968 XR-7 428CJ Ram Air Red / Black / Black C6
    1910 Model T Ford Touring Red/ / Black
    1914 Model T Ford touring Maroon / Black
    1915 Ford Model "T" Touring.....Black / Black (of course)
    1917 Ford Model T Roadster Green / Black
    XR7-G Registrar
    CURBSTER Hidden Content

I bought my car with air shocks, and they are still in there. The PO installed them around 1992. Since that time at some point one of the 2 went through the trunk floor (like stated above). Not sure what the cause was though, probably bit over inflated and a large pothole? No idea. Now that was repaired at the time and since then the PO or me never had any issues.
    I guess you could place them and be carefull like you say, but If were to update my rear suspenion, i would not go with airshocks.
    Although, since they are still holding air and the compressor still works, i'm leaving them in there
    The pressure I run them at is around 4 bar (58 PSI), I adjust that according to the amount of passengers.
    No troubles since I've owned the car, although keep in mind one is repaired already with thicker gauge plate, the other side is still stock.
    Good luck with your little project!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Peterson View Post
    This would be OK if the car had a full frame like a 1970 - 79 Torino. Unfortunately the shocks in your Cougar attach to the trunk floor which is very flimsy, especially now that the car is over 50 years old. The air shocks will cause failure of the area around the shock mounting in the trunk floor. It's super hard to fix, and expensive to fix. Not a good idea.
    As you can see from this post and the one on the other site the general consensus is NOT to do air shocks, you might want to address your leafs. On another note, you could research adding a set of shackles to the rear. Not saying thats the best solution but would avoid damaging the shock area in the pan
    2008 Suburban Daily Driver
    1973 XR7 Vert 351Q
    Ex 1967 Coupe
    Ex 1972 XR7 Vert
    Ex 1975 XR7

I know I have the right to remain silent, sometimes I just don't have the ability

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusGear View Post
    Hello everyone, wanted to get a bit of feedback/opinions on the subject. I currently replaced the rear shocks for my 67 cougar with the help of my father in law with Air Shocks.

In law stated it's alright for what I want to do(more details on this below), he has 40 years of mechanic experience working on classics. Though I've had a FB group tell me that they may not be a good choice. I've also gone through various forums that kind of swing back and forth between yay and nay. Much like the one linked below. Which I believe I located here. From 07? And it appears a very experienced member at the time (Hawkrod) stated they would be fine provided the vehicle isn't abused.

https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/ar ... 21705.html

What I do and dont plan on doing and what's installed in link
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gab ... fEALw_wcB

Not racing, not stripping, avoiding daily driving (have work vehicle) Not raising it above 1inch (needed it for tire scuffing clearance) Current PSI is 40-45
    Mainly taking it to conventions, have clean roads in areas, don't plan on pulling any loads, maaaybe increase PSI a bit if heavier set folks ride with but otherwise keeping it low set and would be reset after said people out vehicle.
    There are other options and i hope this make sense to you. If the rear is sagging you could replace the leafs springs entirely. It will be expensive. Or you could find a spring shop in your area and have the leafs you have re-curved. In my case my 1967 needed a slight leveling. I found a set of leaf helpers. You can find videos on these. Some are called leaf spring stiffeners. These are extra leafs attach to the existing leafs and axle. I am not talking about the drag racing style. These look like an extra leaf on each side.. It helps the ride too as to enter and exit my neighborhood I had to cross railroad tracks. Before the extra leaf springs my axle hopped across the rails. Now the ride is smooth. If you step on the gas, which causes the rear to sink as the weight shifts to the rear, these leaf spring helpers will actually take in the shift in the load. Helps with traction too.
    -=DENNIS=-
    1967 Coupe
    1968 GTE

Air shocks? 1976 called and they want their trend back...Just don't.

Andrew
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Instagram @projectgattago

i just had a leaf added and it worked great!
    immensely satisfied
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	101555
    johnboy

68 XR7 J code parked at Hidden Content
    Proud Member of the Hidden Content

Thread Information