Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Got the VIN now what?

2K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Island_Coug 
#1 ·
Went out to the farm again this morning and got the VIN..I've tred the online reg thing stickied in this forum but can't get any info back.
Here's the VIN: OF91M538110

#2 ·
for decoding? says its a 1970 Dearborn built Standard coupe with a 351 4V. 138110th car off the line. hey, Cleveland motors would be pretty spiffy.

#3 ·
IC
Is this a std Coug or an Eliminator?

#4 ·
If it was a eliminator it have the camera case dash pieces and a black delete block off plate.Also it would have the spoiler on the trunk as well as a hood scoop.And the car would have a rear swaybar on the rearend and the front swaybar would be thicker then the stock one .

thanks
pat

p.s. also eliminators had passenger side rearview mirrors (eliminators only)

#5 · (Edited)
Thanks for the help! After looking and lots of pics I figured it was a 70 just wanted to know if the C was stock or not.....I don't know if the reference about the rear view mirror was towards me but it does have a passenger side mirror no scoop or wing...... Now I just have to give the guy some money!!! oh yeah and find a garage to work on it lol!
EDIT;Does ti say anything about options and what's the link to look up VINS so I don't have bug people again! thxs

#7 ·
IC... the info sixt9coug gave is all that the VIN will tell you. If you send the VIN to http://www.martiauto.com/ they can get you alot more info, depending on which report you buy.

If you get the data from the warranty plate on the driver's door, that will tell you original transmission, rear end ratio, interior color, body color, date of mfg, and sales district. There is a decoder at www.cougarclub.org .

If the car is an eliminator (which can not be confirmed, nor denied based on the info so far), it is worth a premium over the standard Cougar. The "M" in the VIN tells us the car was originally a 351C with 4 bbl carb. which leaves the possibility open.

#8 ·
Either way a C 4V is a desirable engine
IC there are no Island clubs however FordNutz in Vancouver is the best western Canada Car club for our Catz.

#9 · (Edited)
Ray said:
Either way a C 4V is a desirable engine
IC there are no Island clubs however FordNutz in Vancouver is the best western Canada Car club for our Catz.
Thanks....... curious will the tranny you have fit that?

I don't think it's an eliminator unless they came in gold(paint looks like the original) won't be gold when I'm done with it thats for sure! This morning when getting the VIn I did notice the dash plaque from a car show in 1990 lol it was nice fairly recently!

#10 ·
Yes I have a 72C with a BIG C4 on it now.

#13 ·
#15 ·
other years the data plate. 70 and later is a sticker. Does the car have a vinyl top and chrome trim?

#16 ·
The Marti report will give you all the info that would have been on the door tag (they can even reproduce the tag for you), plus more - factory options installed, number of units equipped just like yours (1 of xxx), etc. Well worth the investment if you're into that sort of info. I think they have samples posted on their site.

Another place on the car you can look is for a buck tag. See this thread: http://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10522&highlight=buck+tag

Also, you might find a build sheet under the carpet or in the seat springs, but you probably should wait on that search until the car is yours, as it is easy to damage the 35 year old piece of paper.

Hurry up and buy this thing already... :lol2:

#20 ·
That is a 1970 standard, (non-Eliminator).

Cool, it has the factory rear defog.:ylsup:

#21 ·
sweet and solid looking car man. looks like its pretty well all there too and thats REALLY important. go for it. hell, maybe he will do the rightous family thing and just let you have the car :D

#22 ·
Looks good

I also agree this is a solid looking unit. Check behind and in frt of rear wheels as well as the Torque boxes for rust. .

#24 ·
Island Coug
This looks like a pretty good starting point. The only thing that I can sort of see in the photos is that the mirrors do not look right. It is hard to tell but they look like aftermarket ones. Now that is no reason not to buy this car, just thought that I would let you know that they may not be original. Post a photo of the mirrors when you get a chance, then we can tell better. Good luck with your new project.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

#25 ·
CATHOUSE said:
Island Coug
This looks like a pretty good starting point. The only thing that I can sort of see in the photos is that the mirrors do not look right. It is hard to tell but they look like aftermarket ones. Now that is no reason not to buy this car, just thought that I would let you know that they may not be original. Post a photo of the mirrors when you get a chance, then we can tell better. Good luck with your new project.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Yeah I was figuring this too this any poster said only eliminators came with dual side mirrors..No big deal I have no real intentions of keeping it stock..I just wanna build a nice looking cruiser...Thanks for the post.

#26 ·
CATHOUSE said:
Island Coug

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95
Yeah I was figuring this too this another poster said only eliminators came with dual side mirrors..No big deal I have no real intentions of keeping it stock..I just wanna build a nice looking cruiser...Thanks for the post. After talking to my father today when I was up visiting him looks like he's going to front the cash later on this week depending on some finaces beyond his control so looks like I might be renting a truck and trailer befor the winter!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.