Finally It's My Time

Thread: Finally It's My Time

Finally It's My Time

OK, I have been a member of this forum for years and have stayed loosely in touch by dropping in every once in a while. The time has finally come when I can start working on the old cat again. I have owned my 69 XR7 vert since 2003. I was able to do several things in the first few years, rebuild the 351W, put in an AOD and get the interior about 90 percent done. It is driveable, but it still needs many things.
    I got two kids through college and had to put pretty much everything on hold till they got done. Now it is time for some fun. One of the areas that needs some attention is the rearend. I would be willing to bet it still has the original lube in it and it is starting to whine when coasting. So I am going to pull it and go through it. After cleaning it, replacing axle bearing and seals, I want to add a posi with a better gear ratio than 3.00. Since gas mileage isn't a concern and I would like better performance, what gear ratio would be best? I am think 4.11 would be a blast to drive and still be reasonable on the highway with the AOD. Maybe one of you guys on here has some experience to share before i go off buying parts? Anyway, it is time to finish what I started 15 years ago. Looking forward to being on the forum more often now.
    1969 Cougar XR7 Convertible 351W w/AOD Hidden Content

Re: Finally It's My Time

If your AOD has the typical .67 overdrive, then 4.11s will feel like 2.75s in 4th. That's a substantial jump from the 2.01:1 you get with the 3.00s, but should still be very livable.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

The 4.11's have been installed for a while now. Nice to see two black stripes on the road instead of just one. I figured that going with 4.11's and a posi would be a real tire fryer, but you have to power brake it to get a good burn out. Fun to be so juvenile!
    Next up are some more performance upgrades. Thinking roller cam, aluminum heads, roller rockers and a Performer RPM intake. Stay tuned!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Are you talking about a retro fit roller cam? If so, you will want to research some issues that some people have had with a "small base circle" cam...I too, have been working on my 69 now for far too many years.....I bought a set of trick flow heads, before I had the rest of the build planned, and looking back, I made a poor choice, as it limited the amount of lift I could run, with out cutting my pistons.
    Also, if you are thinking about an air gap intake manifold, hood clearance will be an issue! I had already cut a hole in my hood, otherwise it would not have fit. What size of tire are you running in the rear, and what is your RPM at 70 mph with the 4.11's? I have a 3.89 in my 69, and will probably either stick with the 245/50/16's that are on it, or maybe go to a more traditional 15 inch rim. That's Something I am still working out...
    Having the 4.11's already though, gives you a LOT more choices for a performance camshaft though!
    67 XR7, 68 5 SP, 69 5 speed build in progress Hidden Content Hidden Content

*Disclaimer!! All info provided by the woodsnake is free, and worth what it costs!! Use with caution*

What can I say, I like Cougars...
    " yer darn right wow "
    All my projects, pictures and audio clips.
    Hidden Content

"Time to let the Cougar loose" R.B.

This makes me wonder Small circle roller cam wise .. if anything new new and great has come out since i built mine back in mid 2000. ? Hell i would have to go digging just to fresh my memory of exactly what i put in... I sure it was a Comp cams Xtream or Magnum.. 1800 plus rpm as i remember doing the AOD torque converter and rear gear research to put the package all together.. What ever you decide to do take your time and research your whole package before you purchase anything.

This is the cam I ended up with, not as much lift as I wanted, but when it came time to finish the build, This is where I landed it.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K35-424-8/

*Disclaimer!! All info provided by the woodsnake is free, and worth what it costs!! Use with caution*

" yer darn right wow "
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by woodsnake View Post
    This is the cam I ended up with, not as much lift as I wanted, but when it came time to finish the build, This is where I landed it.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-K35-424-8/
    The specs on that cam look very familiar ..................

I am probably going to use a roller cam that ties two lifters together with a bar which eliminates having to use a "small base circle" cam. This is the cam I am looking to use: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk35-442-8
    Also thinking of using the Performer RPM intake that I picked up cheap so I don't have to cut a hole in a rust free hood. Do like the look of the Eliminator hood scoop with a chin spoiler! I am using a 245/45/17 on the back. It spins the motor at 2400 rpm running 70 on the highway. I got a steal on one Performer RPM head that was used as a display and I now looking for the second one when someone runs a sale.
    All summed up, Performer RPM heads, intake, Comp Cams roller cam with Holley Sniper fuel injection. Hoping for HP in the 400 range.

I don't know if anyone on here still has the desk top dyno calculator, but that sounds like a solid build! I think 400 HP at the flywheel will be no problem.

" yer darn right wow "
    Hidden Content

Maybe i missed it but what stall torque converter are you running in your AOD ?

I am still running the stock TC. Just another upgrade I am going to have to make. Recommendations?

The specs on your Cam no longer come up

Thread Information