Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Tire pressure

5K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  smallhurst 
#1 ·
Own 68 XR7 which came with E-70 14s calling for 25PSI. Have installed Amer.Racing 15" wheels with BF Goodrich radial TA 225X65R 15. What tire pressure should I use for everyday use?

#2 ·
Would go with what is on the side of the tire. AKA tire manufacturers recommendations.

#3 ·
The pressure on the side of the tire is the Maximum pressure. You won't like the way the car drives and the tire will likely not have the greatest contact pattern.

I would try 30 PSI on the front and 35 on the rear. See how you like it, you can probably operate it safely as low as 25 PSI and as high as what it says on the tire.

#4 ·
A few years ago I took my car to get the front wheels aligned. The alignment guy told me my tires were a little low and he said he would adjust the pressures. All went well. (This is a guy who has been in business for a long time, does alignments the old-fashioned way and does them right) A few days later I decided to check pressures at home and discovered that they were all at 50 PSI, which is the max inflation pressure on the sidewall. Needless to say I adjusted the pressures to the factory recommendation (not my Cougar but my daily driver).

I generally keep pressures on my Cougar at 30-35 PSI. (225-65R16 tires on 16X7 wheels)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.