Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Best handling/grip tire in 15"?

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  wijr1949 
#1 ·
The budget for my Cougar project has been pretty well exhausted so the 17x8 & 17x9 wheels are out of the question. I did pick up some nice second hand 15x7 wheels but they have very old tires. I need to replace them reasonably economically. All I seem to be able to find are BFG Radial TA's, which are OK probably won't give the grip that my Coilover suspension can handle. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
So here it is over a year later and I am looking for the same info...but no one replied to you. I see there are fewer and fewer "performance" tires in the 15" class. Did you find something other than BFG Radial TA's? I have been running mine for 12+ years and they are at their performance end and would like something grippier but good-looking as well.

#4 ·
i drive the canyons, auto cross, time attack tuesdays, etc ... search for my canyon vids ...
i had the same dilemma about 15" tires, so my cat wears 16" dunlop star specs, or 17" firestone firehawks ....
my buddy and i rebuilt his cobra kit and he was stuck with 15" tires .... and the best we could find were bfg ta's .... i was AMAZED at how good they turned out to be .... not quite pushing 100%, they are quite grippy, we had to push the cobra to crazy extremes (in the canyons) before we could get them to brake loose .... and, on our 1600 mile "california canyons" roadtrip, he was able to keep up with me, no problem .....
so, in short, if you are stuck with 15" rims, bfg ta's re probably the grippiest tire you can get .....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.