Mercury Cougar Owners banner

coker tire decision

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  smallhurst 
#1 ·
Need some help with a decision. I have a 68 XR7 that is as concours correct as I can make it. Now I need new tires. The Coker options are what I am considering however... The correct (as factory delivered) tire is the bias ply pin whitewall. I cant see driving much on the bias ply tires because of their limited performance, additionally if the car sits for long periods the tires develop flat spots. That leaves the new bias look radials that Coker sells. The redline or raised white letter version are the only type they offer.

I have a burgundy non vinal top body and styled steel wheels. Red line or raised white letters? I am leaning towards the redline version but have rarely if ever seen a mercury product with that style. They show up quite frequently on pontiac etc.

Decisions, decisions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have the Red Lined on my Gold 68. They look good, I am going to purchase the white lettered tires for my 68 XR7-G wich is a Cardinal Red. Either way they will look great on your car!

#3 ·
Look at Diamondback tires. They might offer more options. But more than anything else, based on experience, I can promise you that the quality will be far superior to anything that Coker puts out.

http://www.dbtires.com/

#5 ·
How much driving are you going to do? How many miles are you going to go each time?

I have Goodyear Polyglas on my '69 Hurst/Olds. It runs great on the street and it races at the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race. Are you attacking curves? Are you straight line racing? Are you rolling on and off the trailer?

The reason that tires flat spot is nylon plys retain memory. Goodyear Polyglas have polyester and fiberglass plys and do not flat spot.

Give me a call if you have some time. I love to talk tires. 816-654-3400.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.