Idaho newbie

Thread: Idaho newbie

Idaho newbie

Greetings gentleman. What a great place here! I've had my eye on this '67 my dad bought in '84. It's a long story...but, anyway he had it painted, new vinyl top and stopped. He then put a cover over it and it hasn't been touched since. I'm very excited to get it going soon. Thank you for a great place to refer to. I'm sure I'll be back soon. Adios

Blog Entries

Re: Idaho newbie

Welcome aboard. I'm looking forward to hearing more and maybe seeing pictures.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hello badcatt and thank you, it's an unfortunate story, but here it is: My older brother (19 y/o) found this '67 XR7, for sale from(I know, lol), a little old lady. He asked my dad to check it out. Well, since my bro was leaving in 2-weeks to start he's 1st of 4 years in the Marines, dad bought the car with plans to paint it and clean it up for him. Sadly our brother never made it back home. So dad just stopped working on it and never went back to it.
    Several years went by a dad mentioned he wanted the cougar to be mine someday. I too, saw the same beauty in the car that my brother did. I wanted to give my dad time to heal. Lately, the past few years, I've poked him gently about it. So, finally a couple weeks ago he signed the title over and says to me " when you take an invested interest, we will start. I said "how much". He says 3800. I gave him 3800 and now we're going to start.
    Here's the kicker. The cougar is literally buried. I couldn't even touch it, unless I was willing to scale over the piles. Not to mention the 10 cords of wood in front of the roll-up door. My father needs help will all of this at 73 y/o. I'm going over today to help him start moving wood. I'm somewhat young (44) and dumb. So I'm thinking it's going to be easy clearing things away to get to the real FUN and hard work!
    Dad is a super smart guy but he hasn't done much wrenching lately he is also a bit cheap and likes to reuse and save nearly everything(even if it's no good). I am the same to an extent.
    We were talking Friday and he thinks we should clean the fuel tank. I'm reluctant as its proved to be a pain in the past. So I signed up here to see what you guys would do. Now I just need to convince him to replace it. This is a father/son project, so I need to keep that in mind. Getting a new tank seems important.
    I'll get some pictures asap. Thank you for your time

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

welcome, you will find plenty of useful help here. first you can search past threads and if you do not find the answer you are looking for post it...post pics and updates on your build..... also please register your vin at CCOA registry
    69 Standard red/white 3512v
    68 xr7 survivor Lime Frost green leather on its way from Oregon 9/13/15

Hi there - and welcome. First off - sorry for the loss of your brother.... wish nobody had to go through that.

So you, and dad still have the opportunity to make good on a project together! That's something to relish in for sure! I would dig it out, drop the tank and just replace it. Most likely it's varnished and rusted. Try blowing some Kerosene through the lines and pull the carb off and do a good rebuild on it. That should eliminate headaches in the fuel system at least. Trying to salvage them isn't worth it from my experience. You can take a look to see what condition it's in, maybe the lines will need replaced too? If you try to start it up before hand, try running it from a gas can - don't use the tank until you know it's clean...... bad things can happen if you let varnish liquefy and then harden up again.
    1969 E-cat warmed-over 351W AOD

1969 XR7 S Code vert in progress

1968 F code XR7 - waiting for re-imbursment from bro-in law :>\

1998 F150 4x4 D.D - 300k on the clock!

2001 F150 4x4 backup for 98 ;>P

2 x 1985 Suzuki Madura 1200's. One done - one in progress

I would love to come to Idaho and buy you and your dad a beer and toast to your brother and then all veterans and then all who are active. Good Luck with the Cougar lots of help here and welcome. I go to Jackson WY often and fish the Snake where are you in ID?
    Hidden Content
    Pole Cat
    1969 XR7 390 4BBL C6 3.0 NON LOCKING REAR END
    Gary Hill
    Holland MI

Good morning. Thank you for your replies. I might be absent from posting here for a bit. I wanted to tell you guys that my dad is real slow at starting projects and I was unfortunately reminded last weekend. He has put a couple chores in front of our cougar. I don't know what else to say about it, other than his lack of motivation is eating at me right now. As soon as I can take some pictures, I will post them with much excitement. In the meantime, I'll be doing lots of reading here. I think I'll just get a new tank and have it ready. I will register the vin# asap. Bad69cat-thx for your advice, much appreciated.
    splinehead-I'm up north in kootenai co., about 100 north from where the snake enters Washington.

Just wanted to say hello and this car is out of the dark, finally. Pulled it out a couple weeks ago.
    After I’m done cleaning it up, we will start on getting it running.
    The gas tank was completely drained, through the drain plug on the right front side, but still have a bunch to do.

Welcome back .. That is great news... Take your time going through it... I would carefully blow out and flush the fuel lines too... Please post pictures when you are able to ..

Here it is just out of storage, getting ready to pull onto the trailer. The clock has been repaired, just not installed. I also have the missing piece for under the headlights and a few other odds and ends.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACE38D14-F006-45A9-B62B-5D647D89AD94_1572230909341.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	102073   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ECCB6124-1A05-4C5E-B4C8-1283E1E922FA_1572230936115.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	102075   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15ACD188-E937-417E-A7CB-43E02C55DA2F_1572230980877.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	102077  

Blog Entries

That looks like a decent Cougar. I'm sure a lot of people would love to find one that solid to start with. Good luck with the project.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Looks like a great project... good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

Thread Information