Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Best tire wheel size combo for 69

10K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Sparki 
#1 ·
Guys,

I am looking to purchase new tires and wheels for my 69 vert.
I was thinking about factory 14X6, with BFG raised white letter radial tires.
Then I thought it might be cool to have something a little bigger on the rear (wider and taller). I don't want it to look like a dragster, but try to give it some attitude. I also want it to look close to original from back in the day. And I want a comfortable ride with good handling.

What are the best/recommended tire and wheel size combo's for this?
And I don't want to do any mods.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I had 14x6 painted Magnums with 225-70R14s on my Cat for a while. Looked pretty good.

Present setup is 16x7 Grand Marquis Sport (BBS-style) wheels with 225-60R16s. Still looks really good.

Check out the tire/wheel sticky.

#4 ·
The 69-70 has a massive inner wheelhouse, and can deal with a lot of tire. I like a 15x8 wheel with a 4.5" backspace and 255/60/15 tire. It will tuck fully under the fender, not look cartoonish and look positively badass from the back. On the fronts, 15x7 with a 4.25" backspace and a 225/70/15 works well

#6 · (Edited)
To give you and idea of how far you can go on the rear with no modifications:

285/40-17's and they fit perfectly with 5.25" BS, 9.5" wide wheels

Fronts are 245/45-17's with 4.5" BS, 7" wide wheels (think I am remembering that right).

#8 ·
To give you and idea of how far you can go on the rear with no modifications:

285/40-17's and they fit prefectly with 5.25" BS, 9.5" wide wheels

Fronts are 245/45-17's with 4.5" BS, 7" wide wheels (think I am remembering that right).

Thank you for the measurements mr bob,

I will use them when ordering my wheels next year!!

thanks
pat

#7 ·
I rest my case. Amazingly large wheel houses! Bottom line, unless you want the bone stock look, there's no reason to stay with a 14x6 wheel!

Bob, those tires look fabulous!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.