Mercury Cougar Owners banner

would 225 60R15 tires fit my 67 front amd back without rubbing?

7K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  yeloxr7 
#1 ·
HI I was thinking of purchasing a set if magnum 500 with 225 60R15 goodyear tires. Would it fit my 67 front and back without rubbing?

#3 ·
So I bought Legendary Wheel Co. LW50-50754A Mustang Magnum 500 Alloy 65-73, to fit on my 67 Cougar. Initial look is the studs aren't long enough. Has anyone else run into this?

#5 ·
#8 ·
Sorry about the delayed response but our only set was bolted to the car, I was pretty sure they were like all our other 15x7 wheels but wanted to make sure before I responded and then forgot... I did confirm they are in fact 4.25" back spaced so a 225 60 15 fits perfect and does not rub the fender or the upper ball joint but does in fact come VERY close to the upper ball joint.

#10 ·
Yes, on all the 15x7" repro wheels we sell. If you go a 1/4" either way in or out they will rub on either the front corers of the fender (when backing up and turning) or the upper ball joint. Different brands of tire will give slightly different results but generally speaking that is my experience with a non modified fender, original wheel lip mouldings and original suspension.

#14 ·
Two comments.

- The repro UCA's have permanently greased ball joints too (at least the set that I got). But, they have provisions for a zerk, in this case just for show!

- The front end weight is on the upper ball joint, not the lower. The lower just goes along for the ride and locates the bottom of the spindle.

#17 ·
Grease fittings are inside the little dome on the end of the upper control arm so they are not a factor in wheel clearance issues. The ball-joint bulge can be an issue with some wheels though. 14X7 steel painted magnums will hit this bulge due to the extra backspacing they have over 14X6.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.