Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Tires for my 68 XR7 X-code

7K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  cougarrand 
#1 ·
I need to buy new tires for my Nordic Blue with white vinyl top, X-code. It still has the original 14" styled steel wheels that it came with. Right now it has some approximately 18 year old Sears white wall tires on it (courtesy of the previous owner).

This car was originally owned by a Ford Executive (I bought it from his family). I am not interested in the muscle car look for this particular car, so I am thinking of a tasteful looking tire, not raised white letters, etc.... I want to keep the car relatively stock (or at least factory option looking).

Any suggestions? I am considering red lines, but I've never seen red lines with these wheels. I am also open to a narrow whitewall tire. Any and all suggestions are appreciated, especially if you have a photo of something that you recommend.

BTW, I am not interested in a true factory spec tire, like a polyglass reproduction. I do want the car to be pleasant to drive.

#2 ·
You can get about anything you want from Diamondback Classics. They will take a modern radial and make it into a redline or narrow white stripe tire. You can specify the width of the red or whitewall and its location on the tire.

I would do a very narrow whitewall at the midpoint or higher on the tire. That would look very classy on your 68.

#3 ·
Yes, Jeff that is my thinking. I am familiar with Diamondback. But it's sort of like looking at the toothpaste aisle (too many choices). That's why I am hoping to find a nice photo to pattern this after.

#4 ·
Still hoping someone will pop up with a pic that would be helpful for deciding on a narrow white wall or redline tire with factory SS wheels.

#7 ·
Thanks. That's something I can work from. Whose car is that? Maybe I can find out where those tires came from.

#12 ·
I'm getting close to ordering tires from Diamondback. They recommend 215/70R14 for my factory styled steel wheels (14x6). Any red flags before I pull the trigger?

#13 ·
That is the perfect size for a . It's a little wider than the stock tire but fills the wheel well nicely without any rubbing issues.

Diamondback is a quality vendor but if you are picky about the tread pattern or brand of the tires you purchase, you should have a clear conversation with them prior to ordering. I've seen some passenger car tires from them with tread aggressive enough to qualify as a truck tire. Some of the brands they use are also not common out here on the west coast but that doesn't mean they aren't good quality.

#17 ·
I have a related question. My '68 XR7 wore its Michelin whitewall radials for 23 years. I finally decided for safety reasons that I needed to replace them. I bought Uniroyal Tiger Paw whitewall radials, immediately before a magazine photo shoot for Automobile Collectible Classic last March.

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/collectible-classic-1967-1968-mercury-cougar-xr-7/

The Uniroyals greatly improved ride and handling, and looked great. After a few months (garaged at all times, with approximately 100 miles of use) the whitewalls turned yellow, and can't be brought back to white. My tire store stood behind them, and gave me a new set. The second set has exactly the same problem. Clearly Uniroyal has either a defective batch, or a defective product.

Has anyone else had this problem with newer whitewall tires? Does anyone have experience with any of the tires recommended in this thread, specifically with the whitewalls staying white?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

#20 ·
interesting, they must have a huge stock of t/a........ I have heard of people looking for t/a in 14 inch ans everyone tells them they are no longer available..... thoughts? anyone?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.