Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Holley 4160 secondary jetplate size.

7K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Radioman 
#1 ·
Hello
What kind of plate do I have ? No one seems to know.

UDC 7 and then 34R-9716B It's the letter B at the end that puzzles me. There is normaly a number there.

Please help me.

#2 ·
I don't have my Holley tuning 'Bible' any more...got lost in one of my many moves years ago... Sorry. I'll ask around to my motorhead buddies when I talk to them next...

#4 ·
Metering plate

I suspect it's a 34R9716-3. You can verify this easily by checking to see if a .055" drill bit will fit into the main metering orifices at the bottom of the plate. This would be the standard plate on a 600 CFM vacuum secondary Holley 4V carb. It is equivalent to having a model 1850 style metering block with # 65 jets. I added this in order to make the point that the small hole size is not related to Holley jet number sizes directly.

This information is from page 81 of the Holley catalog.

#5 · (Edited)
Hello all

Thanks for trying to help.

It's definately a B not a 3. I have also seen a list (can't find the link right now, did a search on another puter) where 34R9716-3 is ekvivalent to 122-56. 56 is a very small jetsize and i think not the original one for a Holley 600 model 4160 ?

The problem in the first place was a slight pinging when I stomped the gaspedal hard and mostly on lower rpm. I have, in the meantime I gather some information about the secondary plate, changed the primary jets from the original 66 to 68 and voila' The pinging is gone and theres even more G forces when accelerating :D

My setup is 351C 2V heads with 4V Edelbrock performance intake and a mild cam which lifts 0.500 " with 1.73 Harland Sharp rockers (I have no clue about the the degrees and overlap of the cam)
I use oldtime TRW 2408F forged "popup" pistongs which give me about 11.5:1 in compression ratio :devil: . Mallory comp9000 @ 18 degree BDT on idle 900 rpm and 40 degrees @ 4000 rpm. Vacum at the carb foot is 10.8" HG idling. I use the yellow spring at secondary vacumports.
Isolated headers and then straight out trough one muffler at each side.
I live in Sweden so I use the 98 octane we have here from the pumps :ylsup:
It's my first V8 rebuild and I wonder how many HP I have with this setup ?
I don't think I have ever felt a better push then in this car. It's also really streetable. Hell breaks loose at about 3500 rpm up to 5500.:flamer:

I want to document as much as possible so it would have been really nice to know about this plate. I want take te carb of one more time to measure the holes :). Anyway, we don't have drills in inches easily available here.

Come on now, there must be someone who knows about this jet-plate ?

Oh and Catman, I have been at Holleys and searched without result. I have also asked them and will maybe have an answer when they start to work this week after the weekend.

#6 ·
Please !

I hope you don't feel I'm bragging about my car. Maybe it's a languish misinterpret by me, but I'm really concerned about the right information on the spec on my car.:1zhelp:

#7 ·
Jet plate

It can be easily identified if you will do what I asked above. Find out what size drill bit fits perfectly in the two holes at the bottom. From this we can tell what is the equivalent Holley jet size. From there we will know what is the equivalent jet plate. Metric drill size is fine, I can calculate the difference.

I gave the example above, a #55 drill size would equal a #65 Holley jet. This would be the standard size for a Holley carburetor with List 0-1850- (any number).

Also, what is the Holley list number on your carburetor?

If you want help these answers are necessary.

#8 ·
Also.....

Secondary metering plate #122-56 is equal to a #65 Holley jet size.

#9 · (Edited)
Ok The carb is off again.

Holley support told me that the numbers I provided are casting numbers. And that there should be a #9 stamped somewhere at the plate (equal to #64 jet)

My plate seems to have a very fuzzy #6 stamped on it, equals #69 jet ?
I have tried a couple of drills the largest one 1.57mm or 0.061" fits, with room for a slightly larger drill.
So it could be a larger plate then original then ?

Carbs model number is 1850-2

Thanks for helping

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.