Looking for my Mom's old 1968 Cougare XR-7

Thread: Looking for my Mom's old 1968 Cougare XR-7

Looking for my Mom's old 1968 Cougare XR-7

I am trying to track down my mom's old '68 Cougar XR-7. The car spent most of it's life in Campbell, CA. The first picture below is my mom with the car in the early 70's and the second of the car in front of our house in Campbell, CA. It was Grecian Gold with gold interior and had a black vinyl top. It also had a black CA license plate numbered WDU 368. After spending many years sitting unused in our driveway between my mom's '82 Volvo and my grandfather's 40's Chevy, my parents sold the car to another Cougar enthusiast for about $500 sometime between 1995 - 1997. The purchaser lived somewhere in the San Jose area and had previously owned another Cougar (likely a 67 or 68) which he had significantly restored and subsequently had stolen from his San Jose area home (I want to say the Cougar he had stolen was black but I am not positive). He was definitely a Cougar enthusiast and for this reason I believe he might have been active in the local car clubs.

At the time my parents sold the car it was not running but it was also not far from running. I remember the buyer driving the Cougar back a few weeks after purchasing it to take care of some paperwork (at which point I realized our mistake) and he had swapped out the manifold, adjusted the rear suspension giving it a slightly raised stance, and replaced the wheels and tires. The vehicle had remained entirely stock in my parents possession and was at the time of its sale. It didn't have any body damage that I recall. The paint definitely had some chips and the top wasn't in the best shape, but overall it was a very clean CA Cougar.

In my search for this Cougar I have been able to identify the license plate number (WDU 368) from old family photo's, however I have been unable to locate the VIN number. My father reached out to our old insurance company and according to them the insurance records are long gone. I also did a search with the CA DMV which did did not return a VIN number, but also told us the car is no longer in the state of CA. The buyer was not young and it's quite possible he retired and took it with him out of state (purely speculating).

Any help in tracking down the whereabouts or identifying the VIN number of this Cougar would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
    David

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	82081Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar in front of House.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	82073

Re: Looking for my Mom's old 1968 Cougare XR-7

Does your Mom remember (or do you know) what dealership she bought the car from?

If so, and if you know exactly how the car was delivered (color, options, etc.) then maybe you could contact Marti Auto works and work backwards from there and they could figure out the VIN and get you a Marti Report.

Once you know the VIN them perhaps Phil Parcells could check the data base.

- Phillip

Hi Phillip, thanks for the reply. My mom purchased her Cougar in October 1970 from a Lincoln Mercury dealership in East Sacramento. She was the 2nd owner of the vehicle. She believes it was originally sold by the same dealership in April 1968. She said she was told it would have to have been a special order because it was a 2 barrel carb instead of the 4 barrel that typcally came with the XR-7. My mom also said she believes the person she sold it to in the late 90's painted the car black and took it to the state of Washington. Unfortunately, she does not remember the specific dealership so I think that's about as close as I'm going to get on a purchase location.

Thanks
    David

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

I forgot to specify the Cougar had a 302 w/ a 2 barrel carb

Was your mother a member of Northern California Cougar Club? NCCC had lots of members from Campbell

No, my mom was never a member of any car clubs. Oddly enough, she was never really a car person. I don't know the person that purchased our Cougar even lived in Campbell. I think he likely lived in one of the surrounding areas. If I recall correctly he saw our Cougar driving by the house on occasion and approached my parents about purchasing it.

Quote Originally Posted by drummindaze View Post
    No, my mom was never a member of any car clubs. Oddly enough, she was never really a car person. I don't know the person that purchased our Cougar even lived in Campbell. I think he likely lived in one of the surrounding areas. If I recall correctly he saw our Cougar driving by the house on occasion and approached my parents about purchasing it.
    I bet she found an NCCC application on her windshield a few times. In the mid 80s several members (including me) had some in our cars and we'd put them on other Cougars when we saw them parked. And when the NCCC president started giving out "Cougar Bucks" for every new member that you signed up, we started giving out a lot more. I lived in and worked in Campbell during those years. Cougar Bucks were worth one dollar for anything the club sold including annual dues. That idea helped the club grow.
    cougelim70 was the all time champion of getting new members. I think he always received at least two Cougar Bucks at every meeting. Back then, you'd actually see Cougars when you went out for a drive.

She said she was told it would have to have been a special order because it was a 2 barrel carb instead of the 4 barrel that typcally came with the XR-7. My mom also said she believes the person she sold it to in the late 90's painted the car black and took it to the state of Washington.
    Thanks
    David
    The XR7 was a trim package and did not include an optional engine. The base engine for the XR7 would have been the 302 2V so no special order was required.
    There aren't very many black 68 XR7's up here in Washington-at least not that participate in shows or get driven much. I can only recall 2 in the last 15-20 years but they were both GT's.
    Jeff Bingaman
    Hidden Content

1970 Standard Sunroof
    1956 Ford F100
    1960 Dodge Phoenix (My 1st car)
    2017 Mustang GT Premium
    2017 F150 Platinum

Hidden Content

I stumbled across an old misfiled DMV renewal notice with the VIN of the Cougar I am looking for!

8R93F51595B

I stumbled across an old misfiled DMV renewal notice with the VIN of the Cougar I am looking for!

8R93F51595B
    The "B" at the end might be an 8. It should be a number and not a letter

You are correct, thanks for pointing that out!

VIN# 8R93F515958

Glad you found the VIN, that will be very helpful in solving the mystery. If you haven't already, get in touch with Phil Parcells ( registry(at)cougarclub.org - replace (at) with @ ) and see if the car is in the national database.

Let us know what happens! It's always cool to see these reuniting stories when/if they pan out.
    -Andrew Chenovick
    Photo/Video guy for Hidden Content
    Side Gig: Hidden Content
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content
    RIDES:
    -1968 Mercury Cougar: original family owned, Polar White, 289-2V, auto, AC
    -1973 Opel Manta. 1.9L, 5-speed (restored)
    -1991 Mazda Miata: fun driver
    -1992 Volvo 240 Wagon: classy hauling machine

Thread Information