Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Question: what does the blue box next to the fuse box do? 1970 351C Eliminator

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  CougarCJ 
#1 ·
Hello, trying to find out what the blue box next to the fuse box does. It has wires and vacuum going to it. Mine has only one vacuum line going to it and with a place for another. My car was a air conditioning car and someone has taken it out, so I have unused vacuum hoses all over.

I look through all my workshop manuals and and cant find this box. I'm Redoing my vents and saw it was missing a hose and was not capped..Thanks for your help in advance. Mike

#5 ·
The blue is not connected in any way to the electrical part of the distributor. When it was working (which I doubt it is) -- it used the speedometer input and engine vacuum which it then routed back to the vacuum advance/retard system feeding the distributor.
Complicated.

The new Accel just needs good voltage to operate. Not sure if you still have the original dual-diaphragm distributor? I would only connect the advance to the carburetor ported vacuum and move on.

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.