Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Test fitting new wheels

14K views 34 replies 10 participants last post by  rcode 
#1 ·
Picked up 2 wheels from US Mags to test out on the Cougar. 17x8 et 1.

Looks like it could be close in front. I bought the car basically as it sits and it has some type of disc brake conversion up font. Probably Granada.

Back should fit no problem though.

See less See more
#4 ·
What was the offset and backspace on the front ones?

#7 ·
Should look really nice...... give us a side shot when you get 'em done.

#14 ·
Yeah, if you work with a spring company they should be able to help you get the right height and road feel your looking for. Nice looking wheels on the color combo!

#15 ·
Andrew, his rear tires will be around 25.7" diameter, using a tire calculator. This is smaller than the average rear tire combo on these cars by almost an inch. That means he'll need a half inch more drop to make them look like they fit right. I bet with a larger tire and no drop, his springs don't look so abnormal.

#16 ·
Think stock tires for 69/70 are right around 26" if I recall correctly. The springs look totally odd, which stands to reason if he had to go to a 3" lowering block to get what he has shown currently!

#19 ·
There is about .30" difference in radius between a 245/45 and 245/50 tire. If you are trying to go for a more hunkered down "pro-touring" look, then I would stick with the 245/45. Another option is a 255/45 which will add a bit of both width and height (26.1").

As far as the springs, I would say that a previous owner was sporting a "stink bug" stance. Just look at any 67 Cougar picture and you will note that the rear section of the leaf spring is barely visible.

Here is one that looks like yours and look at how high the car sits:

The arch of the spring is similar to yours and there must be 6 inches between the top of the wheel arch and the top of the tire.

Andrew

#20 · (Edited)
Still waiting on my 17x7 with 205/50/17 to come in. Charged the battery after sitting all summer and drove it around the block. Need to pull the passenger quarter lip just a little. Get slight run over bumps but not during cornering since the side load pushes the wheel in a little.

Looks like the axle is slightly off center to the passenger side by about 1/4".

13.25" from center of wheel to quarter lip in the rear.

#25 ·
The wheels look great. Looks like you have a preference for having the rear of the vehicle lower than the front. I'm the opposite, I prefer the rear of the vehicle to be slightly higher than the front. I would take some of the spacers out of the rear springs to get the rear to sit an inch or so higher than it is now, but that is just my preference.

#27 ·
Wheels look great on that! Congrats...

#28 ·
Car looks great, wheels look great, but your rear springs are not right. Look how low the shock mount is! I bet if you get a flat tire the shock will bottom out and dig into the ground. Also, with those lowering block I bet you have almost no rebound travel on that shock!

You need to get the right springs and vet rid of those 3" lowering block.

Andrew

#32 ·
I was finally able to get some new springs for the front and rear of my Cougar. I also did the shocks while I was in there and replaced the strut rods. Car is riding great now and it looks better with the front down lower than the rear.

First picture is of before.

View attachment 92793

Here is the after
View attachment 92777
View attachment 92785
So give us a rundown of what you actually replaced. Looks like I was right about your old rear leafs being odd...

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.