Wow, Up beat Cloth and vinyl 100% original paint 71 XR7 - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Wow, Up beat Cloth and vinyl 100% original paint 71 XR7

Blog Entries

Re: Wow, Up beat Cloth and vinyl 100% original paint 71 XR7

Thanks for tall the encouragement folks. I plan to have this Cougar at the WCCC Open house this summer.
    Today's update;
    I got my parts back from the blasters in double time, I dropped them off and he said they would be ready in 45 minutes. So I went had had lunch and came back to pick them up.
    Bumper brackets;

and air cleaner housing;

The power steering pump seal kit came in and I got the pump put back together and I think it looks good.

This pump was originally Black, not the Blue we see on some. So Black it is.

All the accessory's are now on, adjusted and working. I am thinking about finding a different set of belts. The P/S belt from NAPA is a wild Green color. The belts I had in the trunk of Ginger last summer for my trip to Dearborn and back ups. They are the same size as this car uses. But Green?

I ran it for about 20 minutes last night looking for leaks and I think I have none now. I had to tighten one trans cooler line at the transmission. Not to bad for all that was taken apart and for how long is was apart.

I don't know what I'm going to do about the color on the air cleaner, I now have one that is to light of a color and one that is to dark...
    I have all the front bumper brackets painted and ready to assemble when I get the bolts.

I have the Grill, hood and front bumper to install still. The trunk needs to be put back together and detailed. Then wheels and tires and off to the alignment shop. I will be putting together a final pic list this evening and do some shop cleaning. But for now the Sun is out and I need to get out in to it.
    Hidden Content
    See ya on the hiways, Neal
    1970 XR-7 Hard top White & Ginger. 351W "Ginger"
    1970 XR-7 convertible Blue & Black 351C 4V
    1971 XR-7 Bright Blue with Blue Up beat interior
    1970 Standard 428CJ Competition Yellow The New Money Pit.
    2002 Miata LS Emerald Mica Daily driver.
    2006 Ranger Sonic Blue, 4.0 V6 5 speed AOD The work force.
    If it ain't broken, Modify it!
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

I know that PlastiKote #224 Ford Blue Engine Enamel was mentioned earlier in this thread; not sure if you have tried it... but your engine color (at least in your photos) looks just like #224. Here is a pic of mine painted with #224 followed with clear coat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE195A21-DAAB-42C1-8A6E-9D9797ECCCB3.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	99625 I love this thread...been following every post on it! Thanks for sharing!

Blog Entries

We played musical cars today. I needed to get this car off the lift so we can get the hood back on and get it finished up. So first we pulled the Yellow CJ car out. It is not a runner at this time. Then I hooked up the battery in this car and went to start it... It fired and died. I tried again and as it was dying I slightly turned the key back toward the run position. It came back to life. So the ignition switch does have a problem, it does not want to always return to run. Any way it now has officially moved under it's own power for the first time since the early 90's.
    [/url]
    As I don't plan to work much on the CJ car until maybe next winter I wanted to put it out of the way in the shop. So we had to work my convertible out. After we pushed it around to get it around the lift I put the battery in it and fired it up and drove it out. And took a few pictures of 3 ofmy Cougars.

With the sun to the right...

I hope to have this in for the front alignment by the end of the week. Then I need to put some miles on it. I hope to take it to her first show in early May.
    I now have the convertible on the lift so I can re-seal the transmission and the power steering in the next couple months so we can get it out for some summer cruising.
    Hidden Content

4. Remove Advertisements
    MercuryCougar.net
    Advertisements

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff's73CJ View Post
    I know that PlastiKote #224 Ford Blue Engine Enamel was mentioned earlier in this thread; not sure if you have tried it... but your engine color (at least in your photos) looks just like #224. Here is a pic of mine painted with #224 followed with clear coat.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EE195A21-DAAB-42C1-8A6E-9D9797ECCCB3.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	37.2 KB 
ID:	99625 I love this thread...been following every post on it! Thanks for sharing!
    After repainting it with a second can of the same paint as I first painted it with it mow matches. For some reason the first can was a lot darker. I bought both cans at the same time, but did not notice they were from different lots.
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries

It was a nice day here on the Moss and dandelion farm today; so I put time in on this Cougar again today. I got the hood on and adjusted, Hood bumpers adjusted. The under hood light hooked up and the washer plumbing installed, Center grill is now on and adjusted. I need to repair the XR-7 emblem as it fall apart when I removed it. A little epoxy I think will get it back together. I also get the rockers on. Here are some before and after pictures, Before pictures are from when I brought her home the now pictures are from this afternoon.

Aug 20 2015 from above

Aug 20 2015 front 3/4

Aug 20 2015 rear 3/4

Apr 22 1028 from above

Apr 22 2018 front 3/4

Apr 22 2018 rear 3/4
    Hidden Content

That car looks great Neal! Love the color and top for some reason.
    Mike

1968 Standard Hardtop, Nordic Blue
    302 F code, 4V Edelbrock 1406
    Originally 1 of 2
    C.A.T.S. member #16-10
    CCOA member #9618

Blog Entries

Question; What does one do in Western Washington on a rainy day? The same as we would do on a sunny day, for the most part. I had an appointment to have the front aligned on this car today. So I had it towed in to town for that.

I have used this towing company many times and they have always done good. He showed up early and loaded her up

So off to the local Les Schwab tire center. Again a place I have used before and will again.

So up on the rack she went to check the initial numbers. As I thought not even in the same state. I did rebuild the front suspension and only did an eyeball adjustment so I could move it around.

In work getting it all where it belongs. It tool about a half hour to get it dialed in.

[/url]
    I now have about 25 miles on her. I have to do a few things like fix the wipers so they will park(new thread) Itis shifting out of first too early, I think I can fix that by adjusting the vacuum modulator. And it has a slight hesitation.
    It has been a long road getting this back on the road. Not so much due to what the car needed, but rather by the fact that I could not work on it day and night like I could have 35 years ago. But I am now ready to go have fun with her.
    See ya on the highways folks!
    Hidden Content

Looks great! Enjoy cruising in her Neal.
    Mike

1968 Standard Hardtop, Nordic Blue
    302 F code, 4V Edelbrock 1406
    Originally 1 of 2
    C.A.T.S. member #16-10
    CCOA member #9618

Blog Entries

When I headed out Thursday afternoon to the West Coast Classic Cougar open house she only had about 300 miles on her. I had her in a local shop to work on the running issues and to replace the rear axle bearings that I had hoped would not be a problem. The shop said they found the condenser was bad. It was the 5th one I had had on this since getting it running(note 300 miles) But said they thought the carburetor has a problem. I concur. It had a minor flat spot and I feal was low on power. I put about another 500 miles on her driving to Salem Oregon from my place on Camano Island WA. Of course it was a hot day and what I affectionately call the Parking lot called Seattle was it's usual pain int the engine heat. She did not over heat but was hot. I had hoped I had headed out early enough to miss that traffic, but it decided to start early. She ran at normal temp after that, funny thing is in Portland I also got held up in traffic and she didn't heat up as much.

In the parking lot at my Hotel Thurday evening.

We met at WCCC Friday Morning and had a great time. We got to meat many of the people who restore Cougars and have a ton of knowledge. There were people fixing Cougars, talking Cougar and Ford and generally having a great time.

After a day of fun and being fed well we caravand over to Don's favorite place for Pie and Ice Cream for desert.

Saturday Morning we once again met at WCCC in the morning, More of he same from Friday was going on, After a few hours we caravand out to Silverton for lunch, on the way one of the Cougars had a flat tire. But was able to get going quickly. We collected in a parking lot in Silverton and spread out over down town for lunch.

A little later we got back togetrher and headed out to Silver falls, If you have never been there you need to go.

On the way Don ran out of gas(gauge was not working) so we left him behind(help was on the way) and went on to the falls.

We spent several hours enjoying the park and hiking trails. There are quite a few and can be a bit of a challenge when coming back with the incline. But there are many great vantage points. I got a lot of decent pictures.

After enjoying the falls we met up and headed out for Brian Aust's place for dinner. Brian and Cindy are great people who open up there place for this and do a great Bar B Que.

Note rest of this post in the next post due to number of immages...
    Hidden Content

Blog Entries

Continued from last post...

[

This morning I headed out from Salem at about 7:30, I got her home about 2:00 this afternoon. She was not running very well. I have not looked in to why yet. But, last night on my way back to the hotel I found out the headlight switch has a bad circuit beaker. They would go out and a minute later they would come back on for a minute. I had noticed the exhaust was leaking at the manifolds, it got a little worse on the way home today, and it will back fire through the exhaust. It had a little flat spot before, now it is a big flat spot.

I had a great time and enjoyed all the great people. I want to thank the people from WCCC, Don and Rene Rush(who worked both days and I'm not sure she gor much of a brake), Cleve Helm, Brian and Cindy Aust and all the others who put this together and pulled it off. Bravo!
    Hidden Content

Beautiful car Neil; nice job !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff’s73CJ View Post
    Beautiful car Neil; nice job !
    Thanks Jeff. I think this will be a great driver. I still have a couple minor bugs to work out of it. But here is pross it moves under it's own power curtsy Andrew Chenovick

New headlight switch will be here in a few hours. I installed a Pertronix unit and that should end the self distructing point problem. But when I went to fix the exhaust leak I found one of the new rear axle seals was not sealing. It goes back to the shop tomorrow for that. Then I am removing the 2 barrel carb and going through it with fine tooth comb to try and fix that. If I can't get the flat spot out of it I will be swapping to a 4 barrel.
    Last edited by badcatt; July 23rd, 2018 at 05:51 PM.
    Hidden Content

Re: Wow, Up beat Cloth and vinyl 100% original pain 71 XR7

Mine (71 GT) originally came with that interior. Long gone before I got it.

looking nice in blue color...

Thread Information