how long have you been a Cougar owner? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: how long have you been a Cougar owner?

428elim
March 27th, 2001, 06:49 PM
I bought my 69 Eliminator in 1997 at the All-Ford show in Carlisle. I wasn't really looking for a Cougar but for a 429CJ '70 Torino. I had a Torino like this as a teenager and also had a 69 "R" code standard Cougar. I had been looking for over a year when I found this car. I was very skeptical that this car was a real Eliminator, but trusted the guy I bought it from. There were lots of wrong parts on the car and alot things didn't seem to add up , but when we gutted the interior the build sheet was between the insulation and the carpet. ELIMINATOR was printed at the very bottom of the build sheet so I felt much better after that. We have replaced,rechromed and refurbished practically everything you can take off the car. I plan to start working on the underside of the car this year. I wouldn't consider myself a Cougar "nut" but I like all big block muscle cars-except the bow-tie brand. Still searching for that '70 429CJ Torino. Thanks for listening.
Barry

Paul G.
March 30th, 2001, 03:22 PM
Barry,
I have owned my 69 XR7 M code convertible for just over ten years now. I hope to have finished putting it all back together this spring. I have family in Mechanicsburg and get out there a couple of times a year. I'd love to see your project. If I go to the Carlisle show this year I'll look you up then.
Paul G.

texrep
November 20th, 2003, 01:24 PM
I've been a cat owner (off and on) since 1975. I had 2 73's and now have a 67 and a 68... Can't imagine not owning a cat! I'm on the prowl for a 70 vert.... My wife is gonna shoot me!! LOL

Don:D

Royce Peterson
November 20th, 2003, 01:47 PM
I bought my first Cougar in 1973. Had around 70 total. All 67's and '68's.

TheRktmn
November 20th, 2003, 01:48 PM
1977. I have had 1 '68, 2 69s and 1 70. My favorites were the 69s (obviously).

RandomMan
November 20th, 2003, 02:27 PM
A little over 6 months. I bought my '67 back in April or May. I had been threatening to sell my '63 Comet, which isa 'stalled' project..and buy a Cougar. Specifically a big block car with A/C, PS, and PDB. I found my S-code at a swap meeet just as we were about to leave. It was amusing, I had just mentioned it to my father and uncle, when I looked down a row and found her. Seemed too coincidental to pass her by.

-Rob

Local Hero
November 20th, 2003, 02:32 PM
I became a Cougar owner in 1978 and still have the same one, and it's the only one I've ever had. I probably could have built about five more with the money I put in this one. Good thing it was free to begin with!!:ylsup:

Mark

greggieatthebat
November 20th, 2003, 07:16 PM
I got my girl (https://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=680&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1) right around my 15th birthday (January '93), she was registered to us as of June 03, 1993 (6 days after I got my driver's license). I put about 13000 miles on it since then... not bad, about 1200 miles/year, except that I only really drove her until Sep of '95 when she was torn (https://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=766&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1) down (https://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=765&password=&sort=1&size=medium&cat=500&page=1) and rebuilt/painted (https://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=681&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) (reassembled July of '96); then, Aug '97 lost the tranny and pulled and rebuilt engine and tranny, reassembled summer of '98, and I've only been home to HI a total of about 6 weeks since then, put about 500 miles on it. But now we're reunited, I've already put about 200 miles on her since she's been here. Now she's parked for suspension and carb work (and no icy/salty roads allowed!) Mrs. GATB loves this car almost as much as I do! We have wedding portraits taken in the car (in our official album) to match the prom (https://www.mercurycougar.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=756&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1) picture we took back in spring of '95.

mpearis
November 20th, 2003, 11:48 PM
Hi All!! I'm new here and have found a lot of useful info. I bought my current Cougar in August 1987 in Mountain Home, Idaho. It was an everyday driver until 1990 and again for a few months in 1993. It is currently hibernating in my garage waiting for some brake and steering work, with 3 kids it may be awhile. I also had a 1967 GT back in 1985 that I bought as a project but sold it about a year later. It had a great body and drivetrain but had been vandelized and the wiring was cut and interior trashed. I also owned a 1978 XR7 from 1986 to 1987. Glad to be aboard!

The XRcist
November 21st, 2003, 07:04 AM
Things seem to make a full circle in life.

I had just sold a 56 Nomad and was on my way to buy a 73 Mustang conv when I bought the red 69 XR7 conv in July, 1997. A month later, I also bought a 69 XR7 htp parts car and a 69 blue Eliminator. A month later, I bought a package deal of a 73 Must conv and a 73 XR7 htp parts car w/ 351CJ/4 spd. That drivetrain is now in the Stang(my Coutang). A year later I bought another Nomad, a 55 this time, full circle.

Fast forward to last year when my son turned 16. I gave him the red 69 for his birthday and we have fixed it up to show. I then bought myself a white 69 conv to go to shows together. Numerous cars and parts cars later, we both enjoy this great hobby together! Currently, we own 7 69's. Cougars rule and Cougar people are the greatest!!

Welcome to the madness, mpearis!!!

Jim

ssmorby
November 21st, 2003, 12:22 PM
I bought my first Cougar in 1984. I am on my 3rd '68 XR-7. I've also had a '69 XR-7, '75 XR-7, 77 XR-7 and '87 XR-7. I have always had at least one Cougar in the garage.

tlchaffin
November 21st, 2003, 12:23 PM
I have been a Cougar owner since 1968. I bought a '68 XR7 new and then a "G" about 3 years ago. I just gave up the original XR7 a month ago.
Tom

The XRcist
November 21st, 2003, 12:29 PM
Tom,

I bet selling the 68 was like getting rid of a member of the family. Wow, bet there is a story there!

Jim

jimk351c
November 21st, 2003, 12:42 PM
Paul,
You've seen Barry's project before. In fact, I believe it won first place in the Eliminator Class at Nationals in New Jersey.

I purchased my first Cougar 9 years ago, but had wanted one since high school in 1988.

428cj
November 21st, 2003, 01:10 PM
Never thought about bying a cougar, but i was looking for a real neat musscle car. So this 1969 XR7 428cj-r crossed my path in 1995, and i instantly bought it. My first opinion was to paint it dull black and never wash it. But some Mustang man in the neighborhood realized what i bought, and told me to make that car back original. He explained me the history, and teached me allot, and i made it original again. (And now he wants to buy it).
You can see the result in the link below.

yeloxr7
November 21st, 2003, 03:30 PM
Wow, Luc, your car looks better than some of the ones still here in the U.S.. The 70 bumper on a 69 gives it an interesting look. Not bad but different. Sort of makes the center grille stand out a little more.

kdsxr-72
November 21st, 2003, 03:43 PM
Four years, after "selling" the idea to my wife for three.

The XRcist
November 21st, 2003, 07:24 PM
Luc,

Did you ever get the 69 bumper we sent you? At last we heard, you were out of the country and a neighbor was to get it for you.

Jim

Fredcougar1973
November 21st, 2003, 10:09 PM
I bought my car 14 months ago. This is the 1st car I bought in USA, and I love it. I'll never sell it.

Fred

Whatacougar
November 21st, 2003, 11:15 PM
I'm 67 behind Royce, bought my first '67 in '73, then a '70 XR7 in '79, and now my '68 XR7 in '03. I've got some catching up to do.

Roy M

Loosenut
November 22nd, 2003, 07:01 AM
:) I'm new here. Been reading posts for some time. My first "real" car was a '68 Cougar. I learned to drive in my mother's '69. She had a new one almost every year starting in 67. About 4 years ago, my brother-in-law told me about a '68 XR7 that he saw that was for sale. He told me that "all it needs is a paint job". :( Well. 4 years later I have done a heck of a lot of things to that car. New floors. rebuilt top half of engine, dual exhausts, Edelbrock cam and 4 bbl, new vinyl top, became an Ebay junkie looking for parts, Duraspark ignition, '95 Mustang seats, new headliner and 1000 other things. Well I'm just getting around to that paint job. I found a lot of Bondo in the rear quarterpanels :mad: but have decided that's just another learning experience. Currently I am learning to make metal patches and weld them in.
BTW. I work at Ford's Dearborn stamping plant where my Cougar's body was made.

CougarJeff
November 22nd, 2003, 09:30 AM
I bought my first Cougar in 1979 as a junior in high school. It was a 69 Sports Special that I bought from my science teacher. I kept the car through the rest of high school and into college; had it for only about 4 years. Lots o' memories in that car!

A year or two ago, I started looking for a fun 3rd car to drive. Then I ran across a picture on the net of a 69 Cougar convertible...PERFECT!! After some research and lots of advise from folks, including folks here, I bought a 69 Std Convertible about 9 months ago. The car is a blast to drive. I just wish I lived in a climate where I could enjoy it year-around.

I've been trying to hunt down the 69 Eliminator that my dad bought new and my brother owned for several years. No luck so far. Marti Auto Works tried to help research it but to no avail. I even talked to the man who sold the car to my dad (owns the same dealership) but he didn't have records that far back. No luck finding old insurance papers or something with a VIN. If I could find that car, I'd be hard pressed not to buy it. But who knows...maybe this is a story in progress....

tlchaffin
November 22nd, 2003, 01:59 PM
Jim, it was hard to let my original '68 go but I had been using it as a parts car and had removed almost everthing from it of value except for the drivetrain. Just too many Minnesota winters under its belt. So I gave it to someone for hauling it away. He wanted the drivetrain but hasn't given up on the idea of restoring it. It was still tough to see it going down the driveway.
Tom

428cj
November 24th, 2003, 06:24 AM
Originally posted by The XRcist
Luc,

Did you ever get the 69 bumper we sent you? At last we heard, you were out of the country and a neighbor was to get it for you.

Jim

Sure Jim, I recieved the bumper. Didn't i mailed you? I am glad that i have the 69 bumper, but it will take a while before i'll chrome it. First stretch and fit it. I will put the bumper on, sooner or later. You know i'm working on another project also, remember?

428cj
November 24th, 2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by yeloxr7
Wow, Luc, your car looks better than some of the ones still here in the U.S.. The 70 bumper on a 69 gives it an interesting look. Not bad but different. Sort of makes the center grille stand out a little more.
Thanx for the reply, yeloxr7, as you can see, i have the 69 bumper from Jim. I'm glad you like my cat.

The XRcist
November 24th, 2003, 01:59 PM
Luc,

You may have emailed Jason, who lives with his mother. He does not share every email with me. What other project are you working on?

Jim

kvinmn
November 24th, 2003, 08:35 PM
Bought 68 KAT in April of 2002. Been lovin this site almost ever since...:)

eliminatorguy
November 24th, 2003, 10:30 PM
First one in 1980 67-xr7-2894v. First eliminator in 1986- 70-comp orange 351 4 spd. Now 4 eliminators......3-351s 1-428cj..... will it ever end? geoff.

428cj
November 25th, 2003, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by The XRcist
Luc,

You may have emailed Jason, who lives with his mother. He does not share every email with me. What other project are you working on?

Jim

Seems like i mailed the wrong person. Sorry about that, it would be rude of me to order and accept the bumper, and give no "thanx-mail" afterwarts. So here it is to the right person "Thanx ALLOT"
The other project is also a 69, but it's a dodge charger. I will restore it, but not detailing it. That takes too much time. The Cougar has a more special place in my heart.

sams68xr7
November 25th, 2003, 12:15 PM
I got my first cat in 1977 when I was 15, I had three of them. When my daughter was born we sold my last one. I got another on 3 years ago and just finished it. I got it from the paint shop last Friday. now I have the rest of the winter to put it back together for next summer. When my daugher say it on the trailer she said it was hers. Its kinda funny, when it was in primer she would not even be seen in it. Now with paint she wants it!

MrEos
November 25th, 2003, 02:18 PM
Got my first Coug in 1980 - a '69 xr7 vert. Sold it in 1987 to pay for school books. Cursed that day for 15 years. Finally decided to do something about it and found a '69 xr7 vert last July. I delayed this thinking such a thing was frivolous. Maybe it is. I know for certain, tho, that those school books never got a page turned in over 10 years. The "final straw" was when my brother -- totally umprompted -- brought up my old Cougar in conversation saying... man that was a sweet car. It has been real fun getting reacquainted with the Cat.

Nick69
November 25th, 2003, 02:23 PM
I have never owned a Cougar before and bought my first one 2 weeks ago! I pick it up in another 2 weeks!!!!
Can't wait.
Had a '77 Trans AM for a few years and have been driving an Explorer for the past 6 months.
Living in the UK its hard to get a decent car let alone insure it but i got all that sorted now so COUGAR OWNERS HERE I COME!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :dogpile: :jump3: :lol:

Its a '70 coupe std with custom paint ant interior.

gzbhow
November 25th, 2003, 05:24 PM
Got my 67 Standard in August of this year. I have wanted a Cougar since I was a small kid. It's been one of those 'when I grow up' kind of things. Some guys hit 40 and they leave their wife...not me. My wife told me to 'go for it' when I found the Coug of my dreams. It's not much...but there is just enough work to do on it in the next few years to keep me busy and make me proud of my Cat.

Rick B
November 25th, 2003, 10:02 PM
I have a 1970 351C Eliminator daily driver with 261,000+ miles. It belonged to my mother-in-law since 1973 or so. I just had the tranny rebuilt this year (FMX). I had completed minor body work and restriped it for my oldest son to mis-judge a concrete pillar in a parking lot. Oh well, I guess the interior will have to wait another year.