Mercury Cougar Owners banner

GTE vs 440 Challenger

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  1bad67cat 
#1 ·
Circa 1972-Place Lake St.Mpls Minn.-Warm summer night.
Vehicles
#1(My Car) 1968 Cougar GTE 427 C6 3.89:Locking.Nordic Blue w/white vinyl top.
Modifications 950 Holley 3Bbl,80/20 Gabrial Adjustible front Gabrial air shocks rear.Additional 10% advance on timing.H70X14 polyglass tires on rear.Hood scoop opened up with 428 CJ ram-air air cleaner.
#2 1970 Challenger 440 4Bbl 727 Axle unknown Plum Crazy
Obvious modifications.Headers and larger than stock rear tires.
The Events of that night.
My Buddy Brent and I were out as usual on a Friday night looking for a street race.We had not been on lake st long when a plum crazy 440 challenger pulled up on my right and thru us some revs.Brent all ready knowing what they wanted played dumb and asked what they wanted.The Driver Stated he wanted to race.Brent looked at me an I nodded in the affirmative and Brent relayed my answer only to get the response of "How much money you got"Well...Since it was friday and payday for both of us it didn't take long for the two of us to be waving several hundred dollors in the air.Suddenly there was silence in the challenger and then a somewhat more serious face meekly replied "How bout we just race for fun"Again I noded in the affirmative and suggested we take our race to the interstate wich crossed lake st. just a short distance ahead of us.
Once on the highway we waited for a break in the traffic and slowed to a near stop and on the count of three the race was on.
If you could call it that as I pulled away quickly on the purple dodge.After cleaning his clock I couldn't resist in slowing down and asking the driver if he wanted to try it again for some money this time.Funny he just slunk down in the seat and didn't answer.
This story just one of many in which the locals learned to stay far away from my GTE!

See less See more
#3 ·
cool .... I remember those days back in Detriot and on the "graph" (Telegraph Road) in the 70's.....

Good story

Don

#4 ·
I'm sure that story is familiar to most of us from "Back in the day". My buddy used to have a 68 1/2 R code Mustang and that thing was insane for an 18 year old. Great story Don, maybe we'll have to run your new E against my G when it's done....... for old time sakes!!

I'd love to see your car but I'll be out of town for this weekends meeting and the December meeting also.

#5 ·
I used to live in Minneapolis too, 1974. Near Lake Calhoun. I had a 71 demon 340 in those days, a 74 Mustang Ghia V6 in 1975/6 (gas crisis era).

Now that the fires are over maybe I can stop by and see your collection! (Hint Hint...self invite! LOL) BTW have you found a good FE mechanic in the S SoCal area?

#6 ·
damn... 1972... i was umm.... i was still 9 years away from being alive... and ive never seen a 3bbl carb in person.. just pictures and on Ebay. killer story though... and yes... very very nice collection of cars in your stable.

#7 ·
Thanks guys.You all have some very nice machinery too.
I hope to be at the meeting Saturday but since the engine is still out of my Cat.I'll have to drive something else this time.
Tim your welcome to come out anytime.I would really love to see your CJ conv't up close. Don't remember ever seeing one in person.If I had I'm sure I would have tried to buy it...lol. I did at one time own a GT500KR conv't white on black w/blue stripes 4 speed car.Sold it in 73 with 30k miles for $1400 do to divorce.I won more trophies with that car then any other.It ran consistant 13.20s with larger Tires,traction bars and more advance.

Don

#8 ·
Funny thing was back then is nobody new anything about liters.Whats a 7.0 Liter? Now one new.If my GTE had said 427 on the side I would have gotten far fewer races.

#9 ·
I had more fun with BetaCat than I ever did with AlphaCat. Look in my gallery to see the pics of both. Look up the old posting in Storyboard about my lil sis. The same went for my old Camaro. I had more fun with it before it got painted. People like to pick on primer & multi-color cars more than nice shiny ones. Go figure.

#10 ·
ahh i know the primer race appeal too... i got a hell of alot more races when my car was primered up than i ever get now. realistically i wouldnt race much at the moment anyway. damn i think im getting old.

Attachments

#11 ·
Don, I know a fellow over in Aguanga that has a 1970 XR7 CJ convertible and an Eliminator.

I am going to give him an invite to the Nationals in July.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.