Mercury Cougar Owners banner

How much money have you dumping in your Cougar?

• $0-$1000

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • $1000-$3000

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $3000-$5000

Votes: 24 13.4%
  • $5000-$7000

Votes: 22 12.3%
  • $7000-$9000

Votes: 16 8.9%
  • $9000 or more

Votes: 76 42.5%

How much cash have you dumped in your Cougar?

12K views 99 replies 53 participants last post by  4cats 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, to celebrate my return, I've decided to make a new poll. I'm sick of the engine poll, it's been up too long. :D

#3 ·
think ive got about 3K into the car. maybe a touch more. i could have saved alot more than that but well, you get impatient sometimes right?

#5 ·
So much that I don't want to think about it. But since you asked, the 67 that is starting to rust and bubble thru the PO's paint job has about $9K into it, including purchase price.. The 70, which I haven't actualy started yet is about $4K, including purchase price....
BTW, welcome back, we did miss you..

Bruce

#8 ·
9k or more eh? im looking at about 15k into mine and im gonna be redoing mine again real soon so figure another 5-7k more
thanks
pat

#9 ·
This is just a rough estimate but I think I have about $2500 in mine, including the purchase price. The reason why it is soo low is because I needed a car for my highschool year and I just wanted to get it going and looking good. Plus, I did all the work myself. Trust me, the car needs totally redone so I will be spending tons of money real soon when I get my truck done.

#10 · (Edited)
I am fairly frugal but I am an impulse shopper if I find a good deal. The purchase set me back $3000 and I have spent $3200 so far on mods that include:
Brake system complete teardown and rebuild (lines, master cylinder, drum rebuild kits, wheel cylinders, drum turning, and FW bearings)
Re-arc and rebuild rear suspension (springs, bushings, shocks KYB, etc)
Front Shocks (KYB)
Monte Carlo Bar and Export Brace (Chrome from Mustangs Unl.)
Wiper Switch
Tires (Big O crapola tires)
Axle and differential seals
new intake (Performer RPM)
plug wires (mallory 8mm)
Front and Rear Fender Extensions
Rear Fender Bumpers
Trunk Lock
Mercury scripts and Cougar badges
billet distributor (Mallory)
heads (351W D00E and a set of GT40p for future)
headers (Hedman 88300)
Radio (Blaupunkt)
Speakers (2 Sony X-Plode 3 way 6x9)
Seat Covers (Black with Red Dragon AutoZOne Specials)
Floor Mats and Steering Wheel Cover (Black with Flames)

#11 ·
$100.00 for raffle tickets
$450.00 for new custom made headliner
$90.00 for mercury script emblem
$2.75 for custom "Tiffany" namelate
Taking 3rd place in class of ten 60's classics + only Cougar there............ Pricless

Now Redcat.... whole different story. Engine came out Friday... Papa needs a new set of rings!!!!!

Don

:1poke: :1poke: :p:

#13 ·
Well lets see i paid 600 for the car, and let's see:
Weiand waterpump 100.00
Edelbrock Intake 120.00
New Flowmasters 100.00 (both together)
Holley Carb FREE
tune up stuff 70.00
Pertronix 55.00
-------------------------------------
Total(so far) 1020.00

Many more to come and much more cash to come...lol
So now you all know why my cat lloks so welll not finished...LOL

#14 ·
gt390xr7 said:
Just had ta rub it in, hah Don? lol

Bruce

Uhhhhh,...Well yea......:1poke:

Don:D

#15 ·
so far there hasnt been 1 under 1,000 STEVE where are ya bud? you need ta fill the void from the 67 ya bought lol...
thanks
pat

#17 ·
Currently I have about 5k in the 68's restoration, and really want to keep it under 9k. For the 70 convertible I have done about 2k in work on top of the 8.5K initial purchase price. In the end though any amount of money is worth the joy of driving these classic cats

#18 ·
$14K over the years, including the cost of the car. 1/2 in the motor. Still need to redo the entire interior and then body and paint. Of course, we all know that they are never done.

#19 · (Edited)
I win

Well if any of you have seen my gallery here you may notice I have been busy lately with my 67 Standard.
I have not added up the receipts but my folder is nearly an inch thick.
The list of current upgrades includes
Ford Racing 5oh Crate engine w/ K-code exhaust manifolds
Lentech AOD
Total Control Prods. Power Rack and Pinion
Global West Upper/Lower tubular control arms
Koni Shocks
67 4 Piston Disc Brakes
Sanden A/C Conversion
Rebuilt Heater w/ Hi flow evap
1968 Rear Window defogger
1968 Tilt-A-Way column
Stereo and CD changer with kick panel speakers and rear package tray speakers using 67-8 factory speaker buckets and grilles. Infinity and Pioneer speakers.
9 inch
Replaced every line with Stainless Steel lines

#20 ·
Spending With A Twist

I'm sure we've ALL spent a ton of money (maxed out a credit card or two) in our love for the Cougar. Personally, I would rather hear about how WISELY that money was spent!

I'm much more pleased hearing about the guy who scoured the swap meets for months and found a used Weiand Stealth manifold for $40, and then spent another $10 to have it blasted back to almost-new condition than I am about someone who called Summit and had one overnighted (for the extra $15) to them.

And in the same vein, how about the guy who determined that a late '70's (I think) LTD headlight switch is the same as the one in a Cougar, and only costs $9 at AutoZone.

This hobby is more than expensive! Hats off to those who share their knowledge in a way that helps the rest of us save both time and $$$$!

Sorry, I didn't mean to rain on the thread, and my comments are certainly not directed at those who have commented here... :uhoh:

#21 ·
Barry,
Most people put in their signatures all of their current cars. I only have 1, my Cougar. I have decided to update my Cougar to be a better daily driver.
I hope my post was not bragadocious, I was merely sharing the updates with other members.
I am the same guy that finds parts cars and uses them to offset my project. I have been planning these projects for over a year and all at once my car is undergoing many projects.
My whole goal is to have all new drivetrain in a 40 year old car that can join you on the Hot Rod Power Tour and still win the 67 standard stock class at the CCOA Nationals..

#22 ·
As I said in my post, my comments were not meant for ANYONE specifically; rather, the purpose of the thread in general.

You and I have shared a lot (including some valuable tips)...we both have only one car (our Cougar), we both have updated our power trains with rack and pinions, AOD's, and so much more, and we both have searched out the best for the price. And I truly admire you for your efforts.

Please, EVERYONE, my comments were not directed at any individual, and what they have or haven't done.

#24 ·
A New Poll or thread

Maybe we need a new poll and thread that showcases our deals of the century.

#25 ·
Yeah, I'm with Jimk351C. I stopped keeping track around 9K and that was during the last rebuild. I think I have about another 5K in this one, and I did all the work myself and the car was free to begin with. I don't claim to be a savy shopper and the majority of my spending was done to keep with what the current trends are. While not a daily, I also drive my car a lot so parts do wear out.

Mark

#26 ·
To be able to do all of the projects myself has been the greatest reward for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.