C-6 in a 68?? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: C-6 in a 68??

ChadInman
September 9th, 2001, 06:53 PM
Will a C-6 transmission fit in a 68 with little or no mods, and if so what mods need to be made? Thanks a bunch - Chad

Tim B
September 10th, 2001, 01:31 PM
It was the automatic used with all the 390s and 428s.

ChadInman
September 10th, 2001, 02:32 PM
...So if i want to throw it in behind a 351-W - what's that like? Thanks - Chad

Logan
September 10th, 2001, 04:09 PM
Have fun getting headers to fit a 351w with a C6 in back... :( The C6 is a tank. Unless you're going to be making 550+ hp in your windsor, you just don't need a C6. A nicely prepped C4, AOD, or FMX will do just fine, and won't rob anywhere near the power from your engine.

My 2 pennies.

ChadInman
September 10th, 2001, 05:35 PM
Me being the dumb kid that I am - I should have more then 650 hp. I wonder if i'll be able to afford gas?? I'm planning on getting a 351-W stroked to a 396 ci that has around 450 hp ... then supercharging it, but I won't have the supercharger going always, because I'm planning to get the paxton supercharger that was offered on shelbys - so when I don't want to run it i'll take the box and belt off... anyway I want a C-6 because I also want to put a gear vendors overdrive on it. I think that's my plan - afterall I can't let the idiots I go to school with beat me - My plan - Chad

Logan
September 10th, 2001, 05:58 PM
You're not going to get 450hp out of a windsor unless you raise the compression ratio up well above 9.0. If you raise the compression any higher than 9:1, you won't be able to run a supercharger without destroying your motor.

Get a stout windsor built with a bullet proof bottom end at 8:1 compression and go visit http://www.blowerdriveservice.com and slap a 671 on the windsor with about 12psi of boost. Even then, you'd be around 500hp. You can't mix high compression and supercharging without blowin stuff up. Low Compression = Lower power. Then, if you still want more, add a 150 or 200 nitrous shot to the motor. Keep in mind you're now doin' 10 sec quarters and need another $10k in safety equipment and chassis mods to keep it from twisting in half, you from killin' yourself and so you could actually run the car at a track.

Hardly a daily driver. My windsor is a 400hp motor, and it's almost too much for the street. It only ever comes out on the weekends now. Completely impractical for daily driver life.

Nevermind that 500+ horses are alot easier to make in a big block. Why bust your balls trying to wring it out of a small block?

Ahhh Youthful exuberence... I remember those days...For some reason, I thought I could do 10 second quarters on a small block no problems making $8/hr... For reason it never happened though... :(

Dreams are a good thing. Give ya somethin to shoot for!

ChadInman
September 10th, 2001, 08:55 PM
Yeah the engine I am looking at can be found here: http://www.golensengineservice.com/engineDetail.asp?engine=94
It claims to have 450+ hp with just 10:1 compression. The supercharger I want is only 5 psi too, yet claims to increase horse power by 46%, so I figured it was do-able. Is this not do-able? Without the supercharger - I'll still be beating everyone anyway with 450 hp. Thanks for your much needed help and advice. - Chad

Also one more thing - I'm looking too get a posi put in pretty soon. What's a good brand for around - or under $400? I'm looking at PowerTrax rightnow Thanks again - Chad

Cougrrcj
September 10th, 2001, 09:23 PM
Ahhh, youth! Makes me almost wish for the old days....

According to the 'dream wheels' of 15 years ago... 'Dream wheels' are what we called those cheap slide-rule kind of things that Moroso put out and sold at speed shops. It would give theoretical HP given weight of vehicle and ET or MPH....

According to those things, my Beta cat, turning [email protected] was 'only' good for around 250hp to the ground. AlphaCat, at [email protected], was closer to 350hp. I also had a small Big Block Chevy (Shhhh) in my (Shhhh again) 74 Camaro. With that 408-inch motor I was turning [email protected] At 3700lbs, that figured out to be somewhere between 430 and 450 rear wheel horsepower, depending on whether you go with ET or mph. I split the difference and say 440hp.

Anyway, to get back to the point of this post, I think that you should stick with a good, stout motor with a compression ratio of no more than 10.0 for the street and regular or super unleaded gas. Blower motors usually have ratios of around 7.5 to 8.5 to 1. A good set of mildly ported heads, a moderate dual-pattern camshaft, a free flowing exhaust and you're ready for almost anything. Anything more than this and you'll be taking away from street driveability.

modifiedmark
September 10th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Chad, you may want to think twice about the Gear Vendors. I speak from experience. I had one in the f350 diesel dually I just got rid of and it was great in the truck but I'm not so sure I'd want one in my Cougar. They add a lot of weight, take up a lot of room( the driveshaft has to be shortend over a foot) and they dont shift like you think. Besides all that there expensive. There main advantage is that you can split shift them for a heavy load like a 2 speed axle but there tricky to split shift with a automatic and you would definitly not be able to split shift it and make any time while racing it. If you want a overdrive you would probably be better off with a properly setup AOD and I doubt if it would cost as much as a rebuilt C6 and a GV setup. Go ahead with your 393 plans, 450 hp is easy to get and if that is not enough you can always add multiple carbs and NOS later. I agree with logan about there not being a part time supercharged engine, it needs to be designed for one from the start. As for posies I have never had problems with a Traction loc, but most people swear by the detroit lockers. But then again what do I know I done all my dirt track racing with a spool. mm

ChadInman
September 10th, 2001, 11:44 PM
I have my heart set on a gear vendors. Do you think that the AOD would be better for racing - keep in mind of the 450hp. Well I don't really want to take it to a track really - just when the Mustang or camaro pulls up at the light - I want to be able to beat it... by an obvious margin... If the AOD can take the heat and will fit in my 68 351w set-up - how would I go about fixing it up to shift harder? What's out there on the market? All I ever see is c-4 ; c-6 stuff. Thanks a bunch guys - Chad

Logan
September 11th, 2001, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't stick a blower on a 10:1 motor.

That motor they've got is great, those AFR heads are awesome. But you at 10:1 compression, you'll probably find yourself spending alot of money on Octane boost as well. Especially if you're in one of those nasty states only selling 91 octane fuel at the pumps...

ChadInman
September 11th, 2001, 05:38 PM
yeah I get what you're saying ... I'm still getting the news about the terrorist attacks, so that's all for now. - Chad