front and rear trim [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: front and rear trim

adam 138
January 25th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Has anyone ever chromed the front and rear trim on a 67/68. My trim will not shine up and i really want it to look like the rest of the trim. Not sure how it holds up?

CougarCJ
January 25th, 2010, 07:55 PM
Has anyone ever chromed the front and rear trim on a 67/68. My trim will not shine up and i really want it to look like the rest of the trim. Not sure how it holds up?

It will shine up, after you cut through the anodizing.

adam 138
January 25th, 2010, 08:00 PM
But is there any downside to chroming it. Seems like it would take less effort to keep it shiny and would match everything else.

Don Rush
January 25th, 2010, 09:32 PM
It will crack and fall off in time, several here have tried it including catvert. Not recommended...

MagCats
January 25th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Hi, Not sure which 'TRIM' you are referring to, but Most Trim, like the Eye Brows and Windshield Trim are Stainless Steel or Aluminum and Shouldn't be Chromed. The Grilles and Bumper can be Re-chromed, but very costly.

adam 138
January 26th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Im talking about the trim around the lights. I know people think they shouldnt be chromed. I want to know who has and the result and opions. I cant be the only person who has thought about doing it.

Jan Ove
January 27th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Im talking about the trim around the lights. I know people think they shouldnt be chromed. I want to know who has and the result and opions. I cant be the only person who has thought about doing it.

Do you mean the plates surrounding the headlights ? if so, there was a 68 over here that had those chromed, and no problem with getting them chromed, but if you mean the moldings on the hood, fender extensions and centresection, then they are anodized aluminium, and that is answered in earlier posts in this thread

MagCats
January 28th, 2010, 02:44 PM
The Head Light Door Trim Bezels with the 2 Large Round Holes COULD be Chromed. NO Problems, Just Expensive to Re-Chrome Anything. They are what is Referred to as Pot Metal. Not Re-weldable, but Plateable. That would look really Sharp when the H/L Doors are Opened.

SeanD
February 3rd, 2010, 08:10 PM
I've heard you can spray oven cleaner on the anodizing to strip it off. I just used 180 grit sandpaper, stepped down until 1500, then use the big stand-up buffer at the shop (on Martin's 67) and they look like chrome. Without stripping that outer coating off, it's pretty much useless to rub it.

Ron67
February 4th, 2010, 09:29 AM
I tried oven cleaner didnt seem to work for me wouldnt cut the anodized off aluminium. But what did work for me was crystal drano/warm water, Couple spoons full per gal of water. Then if is not working add more drano When it starts to eat it anodized the mix will start to bubble and your trim will turn caulkie white and black. At this point wash it off and then buff till your sick of bufffing then you buff it some more. What I did was try it on a few extra trim parts that where dinted up first to get a time on how long it takes to work. DO NOT LEAVE IT IN TO LONG IT WILL PIT YOUR TRIM, Any old wash pan will work for the small parts the trunk trim I made a tube out of pvc pipe to put the trunk trim in. It work out really great the trunk trim is the hardest to buff being long want to watch and dont bang it around when buffing One more thing DONT over heat your parts when buffing.

Ron67
February 4th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Here Is a pic of my rear trim I did with drano, It had NO shine when I started looked like brushed alum thats how dull it was.Takes a little time but worth it

ford70boss
February 10th, 2010, 08:42 PM
????? for the cougar people.
I am new to cougars, Just bought a 67 and have a few questions.
Are the virtical lines on the tail lights and headlights Chrome? or just silver?? mine look super oxidized..so not sure if thats what it is or what?? any tricks to cleaning them or making them shinny again?

Ron67
February 10th, 2010, 09:13 PM
Should be chrome There made pot metal chromed then painted. About the only thing i guess you could do is try sos pad, Its not like alum or stainless that can be made to look new again by polishing. And welcome to MC

68PUMA
February 10th, 2010, 09:58 PM
ford70boss, as Ron67 said the vertical lines are chromed then painted. The vertical lines on the front grille are chromed and painted argent on each side and painted black on each side of the chrome vertical lines on the rear taillight bezels. Here are a couple of links to pictures of a restored '67 grille and rear taillight bezels: www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67restogrille.html (http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67restogrille.html) and www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67tailbezrestored.html (http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/67tailbezrestored.html) . Also, welcome to the madness. :grin34:

Ron67
February 10th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Now he see that he really thinks his look bad J/k. Really if there in bad shape they wouldnt look bad all black.

ford70boss
February 24th, 2010, 12:18 PM
LOL yeah mine are alittle rough but not too bad.. .something to work on thats for sure..

Thanks for everyone who answered.