69 Window Channels [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 69 Window Channels

awboyer
December 24th, 2009, 09:42 PM
I have been reading about using 70 windows in 69's so that you don't have the glue coming loose.

Has anyone thought of drilling and tapping the 69 mounting plates and drilling holes in the glass to simulate the 70 style mounting plates?

Antonio

woodsnake
December 24th, 2009, 10:03 PM
I've never had any luck drilling in glass, it's easier and cheaper to just buy 70 pieces...

1970fastcat
December 24th, 2009, 10:11 PM
You can not drill the glass. Trust me, I own a glass company. You can only drill plate or laminated glass, not tempered. You may think you can, and think you are being successful as you are doing it, but once you get to the end and are just about done, BOOM, there goes a perfectly good piece of glass. It is guaranteed to break, not just likely, but definately.

awboyer
December 25th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Thanks for the info. So when the windows are made, the holes are molded into the windows?

Could sand blasting "drill" a hole through the glass? I saw refernce to doing this on another site. The site also says that by blasting the glass to give it a slight texture would help the adhesive hold on better and longer.

Thanks,
Antonio

woodsnake
December 25th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Ya know, I have an extra pair of door glass for a 70, that has the green tint to it. (they came off an A/C car), plus all the pieces for it. After you break your 69 pieces, send me an email, and maybe we can work something out....

MrEos
December 25th, 2009, 11:02 AM
This reminds me of the time I needed to dispose of a "screen" door which was a full panel of tempered glass. I decided to cut it down to smaller pieces to fit in the garbage. I scored it with my glass cutter and started tapping.... thing exploded into a million pieces.... LOL. Spent the next couple hours cleaning up the mess. Fit nicely in the garbage at that point.

1970fastcat
December 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the info. So when the windows are made, the holes are molded into the windows?

Could sand blasting "drill" a hole through the glass? I saw refernce to doing this on another site. The site also says that by blasting the glass to give it a slight texture would help the adhesive hold on better and longer.

Thanks,
Antonio

They drill the holes in the glass before it is tempered. Blasting the bottom edge of the glass would help adhesion quite a bit. I wouldn't try blasting all the way through though, you will get the same results. It may work if you take your time and do only half way through on each side, but the problem is still that last little bit that has to come off at the end, the very end is when the glass breaks. You would have to take your time because it would heat the glass up unevenly and that will make it break too. Once glass is tempered it can't be drilled or cut. You can grind on the edges slowly, but you have to watch the heat with that too.

James C.
December 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM
I once thought of that idea too, but concluded that even if I was sucessful in drilling the glass, the torque of the power window motor and regulator counterbalance spring would just snap the glass off from the bracket where it was pinned.

awboyer
December 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
Thanks for all of the good info about glass and the idea. I think I might try to just have the botom blasted to help the adhesive bite better.

woodsnake
December 25th, 2009, 03:01 PM
You could probably scuff enough with regular sand paper, and save the expense. Just tape off the area you want scuffed up, and hit it with some 180 grit or so.

maxgig
December 27th, 2009, 10:16 AM
What adhesive are you using? I recently had to reinstall my passenger side glass and the trick for me was to thoroughly clean out the track and use power grab by Loctite. The previous owner had used a construction type adhesive that when it got wet the glass just worked its way out over time. The loctite costs about $20 bucks a tube and you can actually do both windows. The best part is that you can reposition the the glass for about 7 mins before the glue sets up too firmly.

awboyer
December 27th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I haven't researched which glue I will use yet. I am curently in "deconstruction" phase. Once the car has been completely deconstructed I will start the body work and R&R of the components. But I will keep the Power Grab in mind as I use that around the house all of the time.

MagCats
January 25th, 2010, 10:02 AM
There would be NO way to drill the 69 Glass. Only about a 1/2" sits in the Channel, the Rest is Above. The 70 Window has MUCH more Glass involved to make them Bolt-In. If you replace your's with 70's that have Brackets already attached to the Glass, then all you would need is the 70 Guides that Slide Up and Down. ALSO if you convert to 70 Door Glass then you also have to change your Quarter Windows. 69 and 70 are different.