Hood Emblem 73 XR7 [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Hood Emblem 73 XR7

cougarlover29
December 8th, 2009, 04:02 PM
I have decided to take the emblem off of my hood so that I can restore it. How is it in there? Epoxy or something else. I Just want to figure the best way to take it out. Thanks

cougarlover29
December 9th, 2009, 07:30 AM
nevermind, it came off with careful prying...

cougarlover29
January 7th, 2010, 11:07 AM
I'm upset about something...so here is a rant and then what I've done about it...

I am sick of people who are supposed to be professionals at something who tell you, no I can't do that, or fix that. My rant is on the subject of my emblem. I pulled it off, sent it to a company that I won't name who restores and reproduces emblems. A few days later it was sent back to me with a note that it was too damaged to work with and send a better one. That infuriated me because I thought this company for sure could make a new one for me.

Now this is what I did about it. I did some research about making a new casting from plastic resin. I have never ever tried something like this before, but I'm confident that watching enough demonstrations and following instructions that I can do it. So I took the emblem and used body filler to fill in chips and cracks. I painted over it, sanded it with 800 grit to make sure it was smooth. I made a silicone mold from a hobby store and I now have a decent mold. Its not perfect, but my emblem was almost falling apart in my hand so I had to work with what I have. My plastic resin just came in and I'm going to give it a try tonight. I already know this casting will not be perfect, but this plastic will be stronger and easier to work with to make a cleaner mold. So the plan is to make a great mold that I can cast more than one of these if it comes out well. If it comes out good, I almost want to send a picture of it to that company and tell them how a novice got the job done.

Thats the end of my rant...I hope it turns out well.

yeloxr7
January 7th, 2010, 12:28 PM
I hope it turns out well too. Go for it.

cougarlover29
January 7th, 2010, 07:47 PM
ok, I mixed the plastic resin and its curing now. I thought it a good idea to put extra resin in a cup and let it cure also. I will know that the casting is ready when whats in the cup turns cold. I'm only nervous about how it will turn out.

cougarlover29
January 8th, 2010, 09:44 PM
Another update...last night after watching the cup turn cold and realizing that it was set, I kept the mold intact for 2 more hours to cure. I then opened the mold to find it sticky and soft. I applied a blowdryer to it to start it curing again. It took all day today for most of the tackiness to disappear. I am going to make a second one tomorrow and try something different. This did turn out pretty good though and I'm waiting for it to cure solid enough that I can smooth out some rough edges, but after that I will use it mainly to practice painting. Once I finish I will decide if I need to make a new mold because I think I could have done better after making the casting. I will add pictures soon. For anyone who has thought of doing this, its really not that hard, follow instructions. I'm not going to be disappointed with my first try too much.

cougarlover29
January 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM
Ok, I need advice on which kind of paint to use on my plastic emblem. I tried brush on red paint and you can see the brush strokes no matter how you lay it on. With spray on paint it won't stick right, it runs and bubbles. I can't use any primer because it would be seen through the emblem. Is there a paint that will go on plastic without a need for primer? I am sure I'm going to have to spray on everything. The brush strokes show up too much. I'm doing this all on a practice casting I made.

EdPDX
January 11th, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have thought about trying to cast my own many times. I have the 73 XR-7 emblem. My car was missing it when I bought it. I looked online and they were expensive 10 years ago. I put buying one off, hoping to find a good deal on one. The prices just kept going up as they got more scarce. Three years ago I saw one new on ebay and bought it. I don't remember what I paid but it was a lot. I almost afraid to put it on the car- I haven't yet because I am working on the resto still.

I thought that a casting with some good casting resin in a mold taken from an old emblem would be simple enoug Then I was going to use a photo of one of the decent photographs online to press against the rear of the casting, then brush a sealant over the photo to seal it to the rear of the cast. Experimental at best, I know, but at least I would have a fair facsimilie of the emblem.

As far as resetting the emblem in the chrome trim... I thought that a simple horn circuit like they used to have on car stereos back in the seventies woud be the way to go. A spring loaded screw (or pin) that is loaded under the emblem through a hole drilled under the emblem through the trim. A circuit is added from the horn and the circuit is closed by the tip of the screw against a copper tab- just barely. Any prying of the emblem lifts it enough for the spring to pull the screw (or pin) away from the tab- thus opening the circuit and sounding the horn. Oh, oh... tangent :bloated:

Let us know how you make out with your emblem- if you get a good formula, many are in need- cha-ching.

cougarlover29
January 11th, 2010, 02:07 PM
My first one took 4 days to dry and stop being tacky, so I'm still learning. When I make another casting it should come out better. If I make good castings, I will not paint them because it takes a lot of time to make it look right. As far as painting goes, I've figured out that the chrome trim is a laquer. I was wondering if all the paint was a laquer such as the red and black. Does anyone know? Should I replicate that or are newer enamels just fine?

Sunroof69
January 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Try an acrylic paint. The key is getting a water-based paint. If you have an Artists & Craftsman Supply (a chain) or local art supply store they should have something there or something you can mix. Another crazy idea, would be to find a nail polish, although I have a feeling that you'll get a reaction with the resin too.

cougarlover29
January 11th, 2010, 02:27 PM
Well nail polish requires using a brush, and I already tried enamel and brushed it on and the brush strokes show. I just want to find a paint that won't fade in less than a few years.

Cougrrcj
January 11th, 2010, 06:51 PM
Try thinning your paint a bit - and use more coats.

I have one NOS '73 XR-7 hood emblem for a 'spare' for my two primary Cats. I have a third parts car if you'd like the emblem and molding -- not the best, but it may be better than yours. PM me and I'll send you a pic (if the batteries aren't dead in my digi-cam again!)

CATHOUSE
January 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Well nail polish requires using a brush, and I already tried enamel and brushed it on and the brush strokes show. I just want to find a paint that won't fade in less than a few years.

Many of the guys involved in building models use nail polish, and they spray it. I'm not sure what they thin it with, try looking on some of the model building boards.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

cougarlover29
January 13th, 2010, 08:43 PM
I'm going to use krylon fusion. Its made to go directly on plastic with no primer. I think it will just turn out better if I spray everything on. The toughest part will be the order in which I paint everything so that I don't have to tape off the different parts.

cougarlover29
January 13th, 2010, 09:12 PM
This is my practice emblem. It came out tacky, so there are some fingerprints on it. But I was able to determine how difficult using the brush was on the chrome trim. Also with this I was able to get a better idea of the imperfections in the mold itself. I am making some repairs to the original emblem then molding just that side again.

cougarlover29
January 13th, 2010, 09:20 PM
before I go nuts trying to repair the trim on my original emblem, maybe there is someone here that has an emblem where the trim is undamaged so I can make a good mold of it?