Paint Stripping [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Paint Stripping

69XR7RestoMod
November 21st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Over the past few weeks I have spoken with several body shops while trying to find the right one to do my car.

The plan is to do a mild restomod and I want a nice paint job that will last. I plan on driving the car regularly once it's done.

What I find interesting is that no two shops have suggested stripping the car in the same way. Here's what's been suggested so far.

1. Soda blast the entire car, then go back and grind out any rust that is found and hand strip glue and other bits that the soda wont get off.
2. Chemical strip vinyl glue from roof, sand down the entire car by hand and sandblast small areas that are not accessible.
3. Chem dip the entire car
4. Media blast the entire car (forgot exactly what the media was, but it's supposed to be easy on the panels)

Even more interesting is that when I asked each of these guys about the other methods they all talked them down for one reason or another.

Since prep is 90% of a good paint job, I'm wondering what you guys think about these different methods.

1970fastcat
November 21st, 2009, 07:24 PM
The ultimate way to do it right is to have the whole car chemical dipped and then dipped in epoxy primer. This is best because it gets to the places like inside the torque boxes, between quarters and wheel wells, the insides of the cowl and other places that con not physically be reached. No other method can strip and prime in these types of places. Also it is best to do any rust repair before it is dipped. The downfall is that it will probably cost over 2K just for this. It is what I plan for mine, just hope I can afford it.

SeanD
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Yes, I agree. I wish I would have done that to mine. However, for a driver, you may just want to have it soda blasted and then cut the bad rusty spots out.

69XR7RestoMod
November 21st, 2009, 09:09 PM
Have you found a place to have it done?

So far I've only been able to locate one place in Wachula, Florida.

1970fastcat
November 21st, 2009, 09:43 PM
http://www.eco-clean.com/ This is the place that i was referred to, I have yet to be able to get someone on the horn though. Probably not close enough to you.

Al Bundy
November 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Have you found a place to have it done?

So far I've only been able to locate one place in Wachula, Florida.

Anyone know a place in the northeast that's reputable?

'69cugr
November 22nd, 2009, 08:51 AM
I soda blasted, cant afford dipping. Pretty happy with the job and the neat thing was it leaves the metal coating on the car so no rust while preparing it for paint.

Jeff 68
November 22nd, 2009, 01:05 PM
I just watched this video , pretty interesting. Its better than what the factory did.
http://www.musclecarrestorations.com/ecoat.html
Go to the bottom of the page for the link to the vid.

snakepit
November 23rd, 2009, 10:15 PM
Have built one car that was dipped - never again but of course local cars don't have much rust.

Currently us the media blasting followed (within a day) of epoxy primer sealer. Works find as a base to work from but like life everything has its pluses and shortfalls

Buckeye
November 23rd, 2009, 10:21 PM
Dipping it not the answer for most people as it does take away all rust as well as all seam sealants, glues, etc that keep the car from makeing noise or flopping in the wind.
Sand can warp the car if left in the sam spot to long but does eat the rust away
Soda will remove all paint but not bono nor rust. Mycar when I get to the body will be soda blasted then spot sand blasted if needed

Cougar-67
November 23rd, 2009, 10:50 PM
May be off thread topic, but wow, just had a bout with brake cleaner spray can and my engine paint. I was just trying to clean up the intake and engine areas, when less than a minute after getting the stuff on my engine (with tranny-on dolly) I realized this stuff works better than paint stripper in the can, and a lot cheaper too (Walmafart at $2.49). I'm midway through painting my new 351W oil pan, and will be using the brake cleaner cans to rip off all the older paint. That paint was on the engine several years, but only saw a few thousand miles at best--had no gunk whatsoever, just dust from sitting around the past few years, waiting for me to get that damn body work done--front, floors, quarters...

koo-ger
November 24th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I like these guys. They are fairly close to me which is great. Their process is described at the bottom of the page.
http://www.imperialblasting.com/autorestoration.html
They say they have National pick-up and delivery available.