Is it possible to remove brake pedal?... [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Is it possible to remove brake pedal?...

Stangwires
October 23rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
My actual question is whether or not it is possible to remove the brake pedal without removing the clutch /brake mounting framework? This would involve dropping the steering collum and doing a lot of extra work. I can't tell if it is supposed to be removed as an assembly or individual piece.
Thanks!

SeanD
October 23rd, 2009, 06:03 PM
I think you can, BUT, you'd have a really hard time getting a wrench up in there. It's not hard to get the whole thing out. Why are you only wanting the brake pedal out?

Stangwires
October 23rd, 2009, 06:13 PM
Because I thought that it would be easier. You say it is easier to take the whole thing out?

woodsnake
October 23rd, 2009, 06:28 PM
I'm going to go with......

removing assembly is easier from the car. Pedals when the assembly is out.

Stangwires
October 23rd, 2009, 07:28 PM
I think you can, BUT, you'd have a really hard time getting a wrench up in there. It's not hard to get the whole thing out. Why are you only wanting the brake pedal out?

I need to make an adjustment on the brake pedal. Pedal height is too low. A lot of times, when you step on the brake you will accidently push the accelerator. Not a real safe deal.

2ManyCats
October 23rd, 2009, 07:29 PM
Yes and it's really easy.
Look on the passenger side of the pedal shaft, there is a "C" clip. Remove the clip.
If the car has a clutch pedal the shaft is connected to it. If not it's just a shaft. After you remove the stop light switch and actuator rod the shaft will slide out to the left. Reverse procedure to install. Might as well put new plastic bushings in while it's apart.

Stangwires
October 23rd, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yes and it's really easy.
Look on the passenger side of the pedal shaft, there is a "C" clip. Remove the clip.
If the car has a clutch pedal the shaft is connected to it. If not it's just a shaft. After you remove the stop light switch and actuator rod the shaft will slide out to the left. Reverse procedure to install. Might as well put new plastic bushings in while it's apart.

I think that I see what you are talking about. But, my car has power brakes, so the bolt is W-A-A-A-Y-Y-Y up on top. Normally 3 or 4" doesn't seem that far unless you're having trouble reaching it. Then it's a mile.