Unibody Alignment [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Unibody Alignment

cougarwannabe
October 12th, 2009, 01:37 AM
Well, i got the cat on jackstands and did some measuring and leveling in preparation for inner and outer rockers and tboxes. So far I have the front and rear and behind the rear wheel (infront of front Tbox) all level in regard to measurements from cougar chassis book. All 4 corners level. Seemed ok, then did the measurement for front leaf spring mount and seems approx 1/2" sag at that point (right under rear passengers). Checked both pass and driver points, both measure the same. At least its consistent. So it seems to be level, and true horizontally. Got inside passenger compartment and measured kiddie corner and seems to be out of square 3/4", with a bit of a kick to the passenger side. I have the car on 6 stands, 4 being jackstands and 2 being screw type for fine tuning, I plan on getting 2 more screw type for a bit more fine tuning infront of leaf springs. I tried getting another 1/2" by the leaf spring that I was missing, but it just lifted the whole car on that side, so not sure what to do to get that extra 1/2". I thought about making a large subframe connector, front to rear out of 2x2x1/4 square tubing and jacking the 1/2" off that, so using the car itself to straighten. What do you guys think, or is the tolerance not that huge of an issue. I will be fine tuning this with micrometers when ready to do the repair, or is his just overkill.

Jason

1969XR7Vert
October 12th, 2009, 09:12 AM
How do your doors fit? In general, this should be your guide. I would leave them on as long as possible to check as you go through the rocker replacement process. I forget if I still had them on by the time I finished the rocker replacement. If your doors fit well and the gaps are good, you need do nothing else except support the car properly (so yes, what you describe sounds like overkill). I did this job on a lift, I extended the lift arms a bit beyond their stops (but not so much as to be dangerous) so I could catch directly under the differential mounting perches in the rear and as far forward on the frame as I could reach toward where the lower arms bolt. For extra measure, I left the top on and latched to help support a bit at the upper part of the car (not sure how much this really helped but it can't hurt). When I was done, I had the car checked on a frame machine. The result: Perfect. See my ECI thread for my rocker (and a lot of other stuff too) replacement.

Regards,

Bob

cougarwannabe
October 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
I've got 2 good rust free, straight doors coming from Arizona as I speak. My doors were too out of wack to use them. I should get them wed/thurs and I will bolt them on and gap them along them properly.

2ManyCats
October 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
Unfortunately it wasn't all that great from the factory but now is your big chance to get it as close to perfect as possible. I'd put in the extra time and effort. You will enjoy it more knowing it's right.

VMacKenzie
November 30th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Well, i got the cat on jackstands and did some measuring and leveling in preparation for inner and outer rockers and tboxes. So far I have the front and rear and behind the rear wheel (infront of front Tbox) all level in regard to measurements from cougar chassis book. All 4 corners level. Seemed ok, then did the measurement for front leaf spring mount and seems approx 1/2" sag at that point (right under rear passengers). . .

Jason

Jason can I ask what Cougar chassis book you have? Is it the Chassis assembly manual listed near the bottom of this page? http://www.kenscougars.com/cat-lit.html