tiger stripe [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: tiger stripe

ekema
October 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I know there probably has been many posts on tiger stripe prevention but I can`t seen to find any. So if I might ask again, how do I spray metallic to prevent tiger stripe?

Travis
October 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
use the correct reducer for your temp. and overlap your passes accordingly i.e. 50% to 25%

CougarCJ
October 10th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Didn't know what the question was about, this was what I pictured http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/CougarCJ/th_JeffEakin-BA.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w115/CougarCJ/?action=view&current=JeffEakin-BA.jpg)

Bad69cat
October 10th, 2009, 11:21 PM
Yeah, agree w/Travis. That typically is indicative of of the metallic areas having less "metallic" in one spot than another (called shadows). Another good tip - always, always, always, swirl your gun frequently when shooting metallic/pearl paints to keep it suspended. Also on successive coats you want to hit it at 90 deg angles to last coat.

Jan Ove
October 11th, 2009, 01:44 PM
Also get the spraypattern adjusted correctly, and put on some mist coats after final coat to even out the metallic

SeanD
October 11th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Put a coat of base on sorta wet with a 50% overlap and so that it will look dry in about 30 seconds. Wait a minute or so, then put another coat on just the same. THEN, put a third coat on with the gun pulled back a little, keeping it as perpendicular to the panel as possible, and spray with more overlap, and not as wet. You're pretty much dusting it on to keep it even and to avoid blotches. Now your base should be good.
Now when you clear, make sure that the base is good and dry- to the point that you can tack it off. When you spray it, don't get your first coat too puddley on the top surfaces. That's where the stripes come from most of the time. If you pound the clear on top of sorta-wet base, the clear will actually pick up the metallic flakes and make them flow- like a river- and they'll lay back down in stripes like the way your arm moved across it- being darker where the metallic flowed from and brighter towards the edges where they went. I've never seen stripes on the sides, just on hoods and decklids (from trying to get it too slick). Do that on the second coat once the first has flashed a little.