Say What?!!! SandPaper is Sandpaper, right? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Say What?!!! SandPaper is Sandpaper, right?

vidro
October 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
What the ?!!! This buddy of mine who is going to shoot the car and I recently made a mad dash to Lowes. He needed to pick up something for a house project and I figure I would pick up some sandpaper to sand on the Cougar. His comment when I went to buy it was “NO, you'll scratch up the car, you need to get automotive sand paper from the automotive paint store” WHAT?!. My buddy is a great guy very intelligent, he use to paint cars and has a love for the automobile. He gets monthly periodicals on car restoration and reads them like it’s the gospel, (he’s catholic so there’s validity to that comment). On the other side of this coin, he is sometimes very nonflexible in his thinking regardless if it makes sense or not.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I’m thinking with his comment that he must have already open the paint and has been entertaining himself with the fumes. I conceded I’m not a sandpaper expert, but sand paper is sandpaper, right? I agree with how long it last and performance could be an issue but wouldn’t 3M 400 grit bought at Lowes be just as effective or not as harmful as the “what ever” brand the automotive paint store sale? And wouldn’t it be cheaper?<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>

Bad69cat
October 8th, 2009, 02:06 PM
he he he - I think the fumes may have gotten to him! For wet sanding you need paper that is designed for it - buy it at Lowes too! We need pics BTW before/after.

Udo
October 11th, 2009, 03:19 PM
The only differences that I know of in sand paper is wet or dry paper, and "N" and "P" paper, where i think, N means that all the grit pieces are all the same size, so 400 N would have all 400 size grit pieces in it, and p means that the pieces of grit are no larger than the specified grit, so 400 P would have 400 sizet grit and smaller all mixed in... That is about the limit of my knowledge of sand paper. Then again, I might have the n and the p backwards.

Art
October 11th, 2009, 03:42 PM
99% of the time I use THIS (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PENLKM). Either 180grit or 320 grit for blocking primer.
My favorite blocking tool is two paint paddles taped together wrapped in the above adhesive backed paper or you can wrap it around a radiator or heater hose to get into radiuses.
When you think you're finished, mist on a guide coat (cheap black spray paint) and block. The guide coat paint will stay in the low spots.

SeanD
October 11th, 2009, 07:57 PM
For bodywork, it doesn't matter. You may pay more at Lowe's than the auto paint store, since it's not necessarily their forte and they only carry 3m.

You can pretty much do it, as long as it has the grit numbers on it and not just "super fine"

j26turk
November 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
I spent 11 years working in a 3M plant that manufactures abrasives and I can tell you for a fact there are HUGE differences in paper! When I first transferred to that plant I thought, as many do, that sandpaper is just sandpaper. If you're sanding a birdhouse to paint it, who cares? But if you want a nice finish on a classic car, trust the leaders and experts. You'd be surprised at how different brands can be. I talked with our engineers about what I should be using before mine was painted, only because I could. Good luck with the paint! Jim