A lesson in painting or a heads up... [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: A lesson in painting or a heads up...

tbm3fan
September 17th, 2009, 02:40 AM
In February a new person bought the house next to me. By then I had already soda blasted all the sheet metal I needed and painted the inner fender aprons and radiator support to install back in the truck. Then I proceeded to do my two bumpers which were epoxy painted and color painted on the side. Windy and I didn't like how the color went down. The neighbor also got involved and asked me to cover my painting area which I did for the next time. The paint went down better and was satisfied that there was no further work to be done on them. The neighbor noticed a white dust, and it was dust as it wiped right off, and asked me to paint on less windy days. He had called the police and the officer heard him ask that. The officer also told him there was no violation here. I agreed and did somethings at 8am when it was dead calm. The equipment if the garage can barely be heard outside. This was at the end of March. The last thing I painted in calm air was back on August 28th and now stay inside the garage for the cab last week. Apparently despite his request he was still making complaints behind my back after he made the request that I agreed to.

I come home last night and there is a notice on my house about me operating any illegal painting business and I must cease immediately or be fined or worse. There is a copy of a picture, taken over the side of the fence, on the first page of my two bumpers sitting outside on a Sunday after they had been painted at the same time the neighbor asked me to try to paint on calm days. Four violations are listed that pertain to an illegal business, an illegal home occupation all equaling a public nuisance.

So I called the enforcement officer on the papers to set her straight. It wasn't a business or a home occupation just a personal owner painting his own truck. I have a state license for my real job, and she asked painting, I said no and here is my office number if you want to call and see how the phone is answered. She said no problem and told me she would void out the complaint as it didn't apply. However, she did say painting in a residential zone is illegal. Does that include the garage? She says yes and I ask what is the code number so I can read the exact wording as painting covers a lot of ground. She says she will call me back in 15 minutes with the answer. When she does call back she tells me she can't find a code but knows it is illegal both as painting and as a biohazard, but she will have to talk to planning. I said fine but I want to see hard copy of everything since there are no restrictions by the State or EPA on a hobbyist painting a couple of cars a year when it comes to VOC's and the like. Also said that biohazard refers to bodily fluids, bacteria, virus and other biological entities

Now off the phone I ponder this neighbor who asked you do do several things, which I complied with, and still files a complaint. Painting parts in a closed garage is not that hard to do since a basic piece of metal can be epoxy coated in 10 minutes and color laid on in 14 minutes max. There is the noise of the HLVP turbine machine which sounds like a powerful vacuum cleaner to get around especially if it is outside the work area for fresh air. So I decide to test something out. The neighbor stayed home today, unusual, but knows this is my day off as well as Saturday afternoon and Sunday. I go into the garage and turn on the machine in the garage along with my shop vac. Lots of muffled noise and I let them run for 20 minutes. Turn them off and go to the front door to take a peek. Right then a police officer is walking up to my door and rings the bell. I pop the door open right away and he asks me if I am painting a truck on the SIDE of my house. He has the old photos. I said no as I stopped that and am using my shop vacs right now. Do you want to see? He said no need, thank you and left.

Well the neighbor phoned the police the moment he heard the machines running http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums/images/smilies/happy0161.gif Now I will run the machines several times a week just for the heck of it. I have no painting to do but why not have some fun. If the police come out they will realize it is a wild goose chase after awhile with this guy. Then when I need to paint an item I will take an unexpected day off and do it in the garage in 30 minutes in the middle of a weekday. Will even move both cars in and out of the garage several times a week just to sow confusion.

Question now is what to do with this neighbor. I see no need to be nice since I accommodated him earlier and he still made a call. He did buy a house that has a major building code violation right out in the open. He didn't build it but the carport has no permit, is set back from the property line by 2 inches (not 36 inches) on the roof and 8 inches (not 5 feet) on the posts, besides dropping rain water onto my property and causing soil erosion. The girl at planning wanted to refer it for a demolition order but I told her I would get some pictures first just to delay her. I also noticed tonight that he once again parked his F-350 using the small city curb, not his driveway, and has blocked egress of my Parklane out of my own driveway.

SeanD
September 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Wow! That's silly! I would go bang on his door, and say something to the effect of, "look, you're a tool, and I'm gonna paint my stuff. If you continue to be a whiney sissy boy and send the cops out here just to get me to shut off a vacuum, I can get this ball rolling with getting half your house torn down due to actual law violations."
Blackmail works, right?

Those turbines are built to stay within the law's limits of how much paint can be dispersed into the atmosphere at one time... or something. I used to work for a company that painted small stuff- bumpers, fenders- and we had those things instead of compressors because they were legal to spray out in the open.

Local Hero
September 17th, 2009, 09:09 AM
What a mess!!!!

I think you already missed your opportunity...

By that I mean that I grew up next door to a couple who acted the same way towards us. They would call the police every time us kids did something that they considered out of line. Compile that by my dad closing up his service station and bringing home the equipment so we can wrench on our own stuff, and they reported us for operating an "automotive repair facility" in a residential neighborhood. We eventually moved...

... to a place that allowed us to build a big home shop. Immediately we started making friends with the neighbors.

Once I got my own first house, I made it my personal mission to make friends with ALL the neighbors. That way if I'm grinding or welding or painting misc. parts, they always looked the other way. They also didn't mind my bringing home the Hero at all hours of the night and rolling under their bedroom window with the cam chopping through three-chamber Flowmasters. To accomplish this, I became known and THE GUY who fixed all of the neighborhood kids' bikes, welded on their parent's broken lawnmowers, etc.

Where I live now, word got out that I can weld stuff and favors have been granted there. I'm also the only neighbor in the immediate vicinity with a chainsaw. :chain:So I end up helping neighbors with that task especially after a huge storm. Now they don't seem to mind when I'm spraying BC/CC in my backyard shop or running the compressor until late in the evening. I'm courteous about it though.

But it sounds like you are way past that opportunity. So you'll probably just have to deal with it. I think disguising the sound of your turbine system is your best bet. Personally, I wouldn't do anything just to "mess with him." And I would keep his property violations in my back pocket until the need arises to unload both barrels at once if you get my metaphor.

CougarShark
September 17th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Your neighbor is a prick dictator , I'd say feed him his own medicine and have the city fix his *ss, by fining and tearing down his illegal structure. You seem to be in the clear on your painting ,( make sure thru the city your ok ) but you know he will probably not stop f n with you. The next thing might be overspray on his proiperty causing some kind of damages. Choose your battles wisely , could be a long one.

Bad69cat
September 17th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Ya gotta love a good pi$$in' match. Who can complain about what the most huh? Sounds like you need to decide if you want to live there and just igonore him - or just see who can stand it the longest and keep nit picking on him.....If it legitimately bothers you that his carport is not in compliance, I'd do something about it. It at least makes a statement about how you are going to deal with him. Otherwise if it doesn't bother you that much you can point out that it really should have been built to code and needed a permit - and just leave him wondering if you are going to do something. (Storing your ammo) Maybe that will lighten him up. If not - keep annoying him with your activities until he can't take it anymore. We had a guy very similarly in our neighborhood who viewed himself as the covenant police....worried about everybody else instead of himself. He and I had words - long story short he moved away within a year. After we ignored him and continued to break covenants like keeping the camper on the drive past Sept 10th, building sheds that weren't perfect matches to the house, putting in plantings without asking.....evil stuff like that. Drove him to insanity! People still say its a nice neighborhood. I say now - it a fantastic one!

mo2872
September 17th, 2009, 11:30 AM
I kept waiting for someone to moan about me painting my car in my garage.....never happened, thankfully. You could always knock on his door and ask to discuss his issues, and come to an acceptable middle road.....

Plantings without asking, seriously? WOW, neighborhood nazis....

tbm3fan
September 17th, 2009, 01:10 PM
I kept waiting for someone to moan about me painting my car in my garage.....never happened, thankfully. You could always knock on his door and ask to discuss his issues, and come to an acceptable middle road.....

Plantings without asking, seriously? WOW, neighborhood nazis....

Remember this is the guy who asked to me to paint on still days right in front of a police officer, and then while I am doing what he asked he is taking pictures over the fence and sending them to the city in the meantime. You could say it was setup so to speak. The same guy who asked about parking his dually on the street instead of his driveway and asked where my driveway was. I said it was obvious as it is where my legal 24 foot slab is so you want to stay out of the parallel lines of the driveway. Pretty simple since on a court we park head in. Well, no rather than park and angle the rear of the truck towards his slab he angles toward my slab. It was pointed out and talked about so now the police will be called for a tow as I am not talking it over a second time. His carport, which has many violations, is the ace in my deck. Not only is the carport out of spec so is the concrete slab out of spec as it is over the property line. Taking down a carport is easy but a slab is another story...

xr7g428
September 17th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Your best course is walk over next door an ask him to talk. Ask him what part of your painting is causing him concern. I bet it will be that you are polluting the air. And you are, but some people can't discriminate between a tire fire and a barbecue. You need to talk to him about the precautions you are taking, and ask when the best time for you to do this might be. You need to share your plans... You are just doing one vehicle... The more you talk, they less anything will come as a surprise.

As a test, I would fire up the equipment, at the time you agreed, and see if he still calls the cops. When you tell him how much time it will take to finish the job, you will have already built the fudge factor in.

If it turns out you have a rabid enviromentalist on your hands, and you are certain that it is within your legal rights to do what you are doing, then you need to write every thing in a letter to your neighbor, and suggest that you are certainly willing to work with him, but that you are entitled to the use of your own property for legal purposes. This letter will be invaluable later if the need arises.

Good luck, but the best way to win a war is to avoid starting one.

1970fastcat
September 17th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Why do i see scenes of Grumpy Old Men playing out in my head? lol I was lucky when i was working on painting my car the first time around. Was 17 and living at moms and my neighbor across the street saw that i was spraying primer and walked over and asked how long he should wait to start mowing his lawn because he didnt want anything to fly into it. I told him not to worry about it since it was primer and would be sanded anyway, but i thought it was really cool of him. I would say dont call anybody until you have a chance to talk to him about it first. Catch him walking out to his car or getting home one day and tell him you need to speak to him and try to hash it out. Bring up the carport thing and the parking thing. Tell him that if not breaking the law on your part is going to be an issue then his carport will be an issue as well.

wildthing
September 17th, 2009, 04:22 PM
yeah i strongly agree to talk to him first,do what you can to work it out. how many times do we see this stuff escalating up to someone getting shot. this just happen in my area , one man is dead the other IN JAIL FOR 25 TO LIFE ..............choose your next move very carefully......

Local Hero
September 17th, 2009, 04:26 PM
but the best way to win a war is to avoid starting one.

Words of wisdom there for sure!!

quattrothedog
September 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
i've also had a situation like this, where a neighbour called the police, and environmental health when i was spraying primer.

luckily, the police were fine, they said it was private land, and i could pretty much do what i wanted. (remember that's uk law)

environmental health were slightly less accomodating, but, when they saw i was taking proper steps to dispose of thinners etc, and i'd explained it was a one-off, and my own vehicle, not a business, they were happy.

i'm with bill, try to avoid all out war if possible.
check out your legal position thoroughly. if it's legal for you to paint your own car, in your own yard, then approach your neighbour, see if he'll work with you to minimise disturbance to him. do everything in writing. leave a paper-trail.
if not, paint it anyway, and fook him !! :evil:

if it's not legal, don't paint it. you are opening a can of worms for yourself.

Cougar_is_Grr8
September 17th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I'm lucky enough to have BLM land in front, 60 empty acres in back, acre and a half on one side and just one neighbor on the other.

tbm3fan
September 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
At this time I am not inclined to talk to him. He asked me to try this and set me up for photos to make his complaint as I accommodated him just as he asked. He has ignored my concerns about the parking of his truck after he asked and I pointed out what would interfere. To me all that talk was a waste of time. To talk to him further about future plans of painting in my garage is absolutely off the table because even if I am legal he would still make calls based on what I told him and probably forward the conversation on. So he stays in the dark on that issue. No one is around anyway when I have painted except when he set me up for his pictures. At this time I feel the less he knows the better and instead routinely run my equipment in the garage to confuse him since the turbine is no different from my shop vac in sound. That way I will see how quick he will call the police like he did yesterday. Generally I am more than willing to discuss things up until it looks like I am being jerked around and then I put you on ignore.

SeanD
September 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
This reminds me of
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zUfkBWcBuQ&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zUfkBWcBuQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Four-55
September 17th, 2009, 06:32 PM
You need to get code violation on the slab if it is on your property....If you fail to notify the city or whomever and you knowingly let it occur then they will not have to do anything and you will lose your property....Dont ask me how I know cost the family alot of money years ago......

Sunroof69
September 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I would continue to document everything, including his parking violations and especially his not-to-code encroachments.

You're right though, doesn't sound like this guy is worth talking to anymore. The only thing to talk to him about would be to call a detente over your painting vs. his crappy carport next time he bytches. His slap-a$$ carport is obviously illegal, VERY provable and enforceable.

If he has a big dually, my bet is he's not a rabid environmentalist. Probably just does not like the noise and is worried about overspray. If the turbine meets local environmental standards, and the noise does not exceed decibel requirements (I would recommend getting or borrowing a decibel reader -- you may in fact be louder than you think), then he has no leg to stand on.

SSquints999
September 17th, 2009, 10:08 PM
well i'm probably not thinking like an environmentalist but diesel engines put out fewer emissions and all those other things they complain about than a gas burner does.

MercRS
September 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Your home is your castle its yours not his.Stick it it his A$$ on the carport.He had NO problem doing it to you.You smack a bully in the face
they will leave you alone,he can only dish it out he won't take it.

cougarman187
September 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
This reminds me of
<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3zUfkBWcBuQ&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

Oh my goodness Sean that movie pissed me off soooo bad. The end was the only part worth watching...

Haha i just saw this little guy and it describes exactly what you need to do to your neighbor! :piss2:

FFR428
September 18th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I agree. Break his balls endlessly over everything. You played his game and got ratted out. Burn me once.........

I live in a small neighborhood, fairly noisy and busy. We all do our own thing without issue and everyone gets along.

tbm3fan
September 19th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Was eating breakfast this morning and around 8:15 I hear of thud right behind my head in the kitchen. Too loud to be a bird hitting stucco and if it was it should be dead now. So I go out the patio door and instead find a green apple laying on the ground with pieces on the side of the house. It was thrown against the house from the next door neighbor's property. You have got to be kidding...? WTF is up with that...???

wildthing
September 19th, 2009, 04:13 PM
see this is just going to keep esclateing , until you are takeing shots at each other or driveing a car through someones house.

CougarShark
September 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
You have a nut case for a new neighbor, with issues. Set up a video recorder if he continues his bullsh*t.

1970fastcat
September 19th, 2009, 05:19 PM
ok this means war, I have a neighbor that I am at war with myself, he just doesnt know it yet. He leaves trash laying on the cover of his truck bed and takes off out of his driveway as fast as he can and lets it fly off right in front of my house. So i have been picking it up as i find it and putting it in a 55 gallon garbage bag in my garage. Once it is full he will find it scattered on his front porch with a note on his door. I dont blame you for being sick of it, some people you just cant get through to

SeanD
September 19th, 2009, 10:19 PM
What a nut bar. Maybe his kids did it playing around.

adolfo
September 25th, 2009, 01:30 PM
man this sucks. best bet is to keep doing what ur doing keep turning your equipment on just for the hell of it. He probly has a nagging wife who is on his back all the time, so hes got to take it out on someone else. Play around with him, show him that you know hes the one complaining all the time. just smile (ussualy make people more mad ). when he does not expect it, just get him back for all the sH!+ hes done>:whore:

twyluh
September 25th, 2009, 02:49 PM
My suggestion is to document everything and to never lose your temper in front of him, or where he can see you. I know how hard it can be to remain calm and civil when someone is just being blatantly unreasonable. Because as you know, he is probably documenting you.

Ever thought of buying some cheap security camera(s) and angle one or two towards his house, or the driveway where he blocks you? Even if they arent hooked up, he may back off....