68 xr7 front and rear bumper [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 68 xr7 front and rear bumper

michaelmyers
August 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I just had my 1968 xr7 exterior done with rechrome bumpers, but my existing bumpers are not aligned correctly with the rest of the frame. The shop said I cannot do anything because the brackets that hold the bumper are non adjustable, and the way it sits is due to previous frame/bumper damage. What do you guys think, is it repairable? I will post a pic soon, thanks

Kenny

SeanD
August 28th, 2009, 04:39 PM
They are a little adjustable. pics are best.

68xr7gt4spd
August 29th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I just had my 1968 xr7 exterior done with rechrome bumpers, but my existing bumpers are not aligned correctly with the rest of the frame. The shop said I cannot do anything because the brackets that hold the bumper are non adjustable, and the way it sits is due to previous frame/bumper damage. What do you guys think, is it repairable? I will post a pic soon, thanks

Kenny

if the bumper brackets are bent from previous damage just replace them with good used ones.

67.5xr7
August 29th, 2009, 07:11 PM
One word,..Port O Power, well three,...actually two words and a vowel! Maybe two words?
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_7288_7288

michaelmyers
August 30th, 2009, 02:35 PM
if the bumper brackets are bent from previous damage just replace them with good used ones.

I replaced the bumper brackets with new ones and still the same problem. The old brackets broke when we took off the bumper to get rechromed.

doctordesoto
August 31st, 2009, 08:43 AM
there is a bumper alignment tool (i'll get more info)
that is made with 1 3/8 dia tube with a rubber protected foot.it has an adjustable chain with a flat hook on the end.its absolutely amazing how well you can align a cougar bumper with this item
doctordesoto

michaelmyers
August 31st, 2009, 08:09 PM
great, ill wait for the info, thanks

doctordesoto
September 2nd, 2009, 08:05 AM
the tool is a keysco hustler stick #77175---you can see it on line---it's amazing how muck force you can develop with the correct leverage angle
doctordesoto

jene
September 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
these tools are great. now if only one could see how to use them properly. u tube anyone?

michaelmyers
April 3rd, 2010, 09:31 PM
Sorry for the late responses but here are some pics. Do you think some body shops can align my rechromed bumpers? Its bugging the heck out of me, thanks!

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/2009-07-30121357.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/CIMG0225.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/CIMG0226.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/CIMG0227.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/CIMG0228.jpg
http://s44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/?action=view&current=CIMG0229.jpg

Ron67
April 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
I had some troubles with mine also What I did was used shims and a little brunt force Worked out pretty good. You can pick up a body shim kit at harbor fraight cheap kit comes with alkinds of size's. Just takes time getting it rite

woodsnake
April 4th, 2010, 09:44 AM
S E X Y cougar!

DrCougar
April 4th, 2010, 10:19 AM
Take some measurements from the fender extensions to the ground. It looks like your psg fender is twisted up on the end. Notice how the extension is going downhill to the hood. As far as the back, are the bumper brackets on the correct direction?

posidude
April 4th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Take some measurements from the fender extensions to the ground. It looks like your psg fender is twisted up on the end. Notice how the extension is going downhill to the hood. As far as the back, are the bumper brackets on the correct direction?
For sure there seems to be an issue with the front right fender.
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f46/michaelmyers323/CIMG0226.jpg

MagCats
April 4th, 2010, 01:27 PM
You said Previous Damage. If your Inner Fenders, Radiator Support, Frame Rails, or Shock Towers are Buckled, then you will never get the Front End Completely Straight. I don't like to be the Bearer of bad news, but I can see that the Whole Front End is Off, and Not Straight. Fenders, Hood, Bumper, Extensions and Nose. Notice how the Very Center Front of the Hood does not line up with The Center Nose Section. The Factory Hard Points would have this Spot-On, 1 of them has Bent Mounting Points. I also agree with the Previous Statements regarding the Ps/Rh Fender. It looks like your Car was previously Wrecked on the Passenger's Side Front. IMHO.

michaelmyers
April 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
so no way of fixing it huh?

MagCats
April 4th, 2010, 01:43 PM
Well, it can ALWAYS be fixed, but it would be more dramatic than Just adjusting the Bumper. Pop the Hood, and inspect the Engine Compartment Walls for any Damage. Also inspect the Front Frame Rails that the Bumper Brackets attach to, and see if you see any Buckling or Damage. I notice the RH Head Light Door is off kilter as well, which shows that the Grille/Bucket Frame might have been Damaged. All of your Parts Look Great, it just looks like the Problem is what they are Mounted To.

michaelmyers
April 4th, 2010, 01:45 PM
Alright thanks. I would be totally satisfied if just the front bumper was just aligned correctly. Thanks again.

MagCats
April 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM
Well if there is any more room for adjustment, it looks to me like the RH Side of the Bumper needs to go up and Both Sides need to have the Very Rear of the Frame Brackets up higher. the Rear bumper looks Great. And you will get tons of Smiles per Mile.

Spartikus
April 4th, 2010, 02:03 PM
If you talk to a few different body shops and can find one that is respectable but affordable, if they have the laser correction system they can probably do an adjustment for you for under $500. A few hours on the jigs and you would be amazed what they can straighten out.

My 67 looks like it took a light tag in the front at some point as well. I might have to take her in for some tweaking. A come along will do the job but it's knowing exactly where to straighten that you need the serious hardware for. I'm very lucky that the vert looks straight as an arrow because I would hate to have to straighten her out.

MagCats
April 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM
I Suggest loosening the 2 Outer Tube/Arm to Bumper Bolts on the RH Side, and trying to Slide the Bumper Up as far as needed. Then Loosen the 2 Very Rear Frame Bolts, 1 on Each side, just enough to have Play, and Pry up on the Lower Edge of Frame Brackets with a Flat-Head Pry Bar, then Tighten with the Pressure On(2-Man job, maybe). . Do not loosen the Front Frame Bolts unless needed. You do not want to change the Upper Bumper Edge to Body Relationship, it looks Good. This should pull the Lower Edges of the Bumper tighter to the Body. This is what I'm seeing from the pictures, I am not standing in front of the car.

Ron67
April 4th, 2010, 05:35 PM
I Suggest loosening the 2 Outer Tube/Arm to Bumper Bolts on the RH Side, and trying to Slide the Bumper Up as far as needed. Then Loosen the 2 Very Rear Frame Bolts, 1 on Each side, just enough to have Play, and Pry up on the Lower Edge of Frame Brackets with a Flat-Head Pry Bar, then Tighten with the Pressure On(2-Man job, maybe). . Do not loosen the Front Frame Bolts unless needed. You do not want to change the Upper Bumper Edge to Body Relationship, it looks Good. This should pull the Lower Edges of the Bumper tighter to the Body. This is what I'm seeing from the pictures, I am not standing in front of the car.

Sounds like your best option when see where your at as far as what need bending. I had problems with the front bumper and my car was never wrecked that I can tell. Its just going to take time to get it right like I said in my post before body shims and some brute force bending will get her looking straight.

SeanD
April 7th, 2010, 09:30 PM
I ended up using a jack under one corner of the front bumper to push and hold it where it needed to go while I tightened it down.

If you want to see if your front end is swung, measure an X from two points (that can't move) front right to back left, and compare it with the measurement of back right to front left. If they're not equal, you are out of square.
I think it's adjustable, but you should start further in than the bumper.
Get your hood gapped right with the cowl, then the fenders to the hood and doors, then the center grille to the hood nose, then the headlight grilles (that's the biggest issue), then the bumper. The trim pieces on the fenders and hood are kinda wonky, too, and I think the screws can be backed out and the molding moved, then retightened.
Also, if you raise your left hood bumper (mounted to the radiator support), it will keep the front left of your hood up so it aligns with the fender better.