material needed to cover a 69 coupe? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: material needed to cover a 69 coupe?

jk69cat
August 4th, 2009, 09:51 PM
hey guys , i need to figure out how much color i need to buy , a gallon? gallon and a quart? i am going to use base clear, blue color , grey primer

jcbingcougar
August 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Are you painting the inside of the passenger compartment? Inside the trunk? Does it have a vinyl roof? If so, is it removed and are you painting color under it? If the answer to all of these questions is yes, you'll probably need a couple gallons of primer, 1.5 gallons of base and the same amount of clear. All this is dependent on how many coats of each you are doing and the type of gun you're using.

jk69cat
August 5th, 2009, 09:05 AM
hvlp, no vinyl roof, and the jambs and trunk so if i started with a gallon of base and a quart of urthane for the jambs /trunk i should be ok

Jan Ove
August 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
What amount of color to buy will depend greatly on how well that color you want covers, on a color code, it can be very big differences between paint brands on how well it covers, on one brand it might just take two coats to get full coverage, but on another brand it might take 3-4-5 coates to get full coverage on the color, and with some brands that code might even be a 3 stage system.
So check with the brand you're choosing on how well it covers

jk69cat
August 5th, 2009, 05:08 PM
ford code sn sonic blue metallic , its a heavy metallic that will be over a grey primer

Jan Ove
August 6th, 2009, 12:20 PM
ford code sn sonic blue metallic , its a heavy metallic that will be over a grey primer

That code in Glasurit, it's a regular two stage paint, how transparent it is, i don't know, in Sikkens, that code calls out for a blue primer, so it sure is transparent in Sikkens.
The best thing to do, is to check that code with the brand of paint that you will be using, to see if it's okay to shoot it over a grey primer, or if it needs a colored primer

SeanD
August 7th, 2009, 05:14 PM
That color relies heavily on the pearl in it, which is translucent. Most pearl blues are really "transparent" because of this. This would take about 4 coats to cover, so you're looking at about 2 gallons of sprayable base (the basecoat plus it's reducer) to cover all the jambs and outside. You should only need a gallon of primer, and you'll probably have some left over, granted that you're not going to prime and sand the backsides of the hood, trunk, and doors. I would just seal them or spray a quick coat of reduced primer over them before basing. If you're set on priming it all, then go with 1.5 gallons of primer too.

jk69cat
August 7th, 2009, 07:17 PM
primer i got covered, i have the top side of the hood, lh fender and the deck lid primed i wasnt planning on pulling doors. i like to do insides with single stage as its quick and easy . i figured a gallon of color minimum , and a quart of urethane to cover the insides and jambs , i am using bedliner on the floors in both cars . i have a gallon and a quart of grey epoxy and a gallon of yellow filler/sealer . so basicly i am just literally edgng the jambs, no floors , but i will do the wheel wells in the trunk and the back taillamp panel .