high build primer [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: high build primer

cwlemu
July 22nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
i was wondering if the brand of high build primer could be different from the finish paint.i have not hired my finish painter and would like to let him pick his brand of paint .
also on the subject of high build primer i work in a tight area and am having a problem doing the whole car at once.i dont see any reason i cant do half the car at once? the area is a little dusty.so it would sand out any way???
thanks for any tips charlie

1970fastcat
July 22nd, 2009, 09:24 PM
primer doesnt need to match, clear and base dont either for that matter unless it is a required line by the manufacturer. I used dupont and nexa base(two tone) with nexa clear on my truck. Primer doesnt need to all be done at once, after you sand it all down you will have to go back and add some more in places, especially if you use any filler. I even used like 3 different brands of primer on mine too, just had stuff sittin around that needed to get used up

Local Hero
July 23rd, 2009, 07:50 AM
While it's not required that all the stages come from the same brand, it's better if it is. That way if you have an issue anywhere during the process, and you ask for tech help, you won't have one brand blaming the other and vice versa.

At the very least, they need to be compatible. For instance, I used PPG high build primer that is urethane compatible, underneath my House of Kolor base and clear urethane. I was given specific instructions by my supplier that if I had any issues, I was NOT to tell HOK that there is PPG stuff under it.

8 years later, and no issues.

Bad69cat
July 23rd, 2009, 10:02 PM
Another option is to shoot a sealer coat on the primer when you are ready to BC - use the the brand of sealer recommended by the BC you use though. You will not have any issues then.

wildthing
July 23rd, 2009, 10:03 PM
i have been keeping all my products from the same company. just one less thing to worrie about.

SeanD
July 27th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The primer can be from whoever, just as long as (A.) it has a hardener, and (B.) you use the same color for the whole car. Unless it's going to stay in the garage the whole time, please don't be one of those guys who use whatever is at the front of the cabinet when they need paint. LIke this:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3614/3372182683_61442a27fc.jpg

Or my personal favorite, my 65 GMC (as I purchased it)
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/seanpaintsflames/DSCN4484.jpg

wildthing
July 27th, 2009, 08:47 PM
i'll take that charger !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bad69cat
August 1st, 2009, 08:41 PM
i'll take that charger !!!!!!!!!!!!!
X4 You got that right! If it's real there's a buch of dinero to be had on a resto!!