Good Day, Bad Day. [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Good Day, Bad Day.

modifiedmark
August 5th, 2001, 11:02 PM
It started as a good day as I took the Cougar to the Mustang and Ford show in Bourbonnais IL . I took 2nd place in the 60-69 All Class.Got beat out by a pretty nice 66 Fairlane Sport Coupe. But the day turned bad as the radiator decided to crap out on me on the 60 mile trip home. I got it home in without cooking it and I have a 3 core in the garage I think is good but I'm taking it to the radiator shop tomorrow to have it checked out for sure. If it dont pass the test and I cant find a radiator locally where is the best place to get one that I could have before next weekend? Also besides mine there was one other Cougar there, a really nice 68, and it won 1st in the 65-78 modified division so I guess the Cougars did there share.mm

Logan
August 6th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Hey mark,

Just have the rad shop re-core your 3 core... Cheaper than buying a new one and works just as well...

Tim B
August 6th, 2001, 01:57 PM
It shouldn't take more than a day. Maybe two days, tops.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

modifiedmark
August 6th, 2001, 11:10 PM
You guys must have better radiator shops in your area than I do. I had 2 shops quote $200 just for them to buy the core and then you had to add the labor. One shop wanted to order me a new one for $240 but could only get a 2 core with the 69 outlets. Mustangs Ulimited had the best deal I could find, $208 shipped to the house and I get to upgrade my 2 core to a 3 core. Not that I had any problems cooling with the 2 core but there 3 core is cheaper than the 2. Go figure, must be a supply and demand thing. Anyway they said it was in stock and would definatly be shipped today and would be here in a couple days for sure. We will see but I never had any problems with them before and I usally try to give my business to those who service me well. I just found out there is a big all Ford show in South Bend In. this weekend although I dont know the details yet it would be a nice 1 1/2 hour drive to test the new radiator out. That is if I can get out of the garage as I'm playing body man and have my F250 spread out all over it. Its been plenty hot the last few days to be welding body panels in so it wont take much convincing to get me to drop it for awhile.mm

Logan
August 7th, 2001, 09:15 AM
I hate to say it, but you're probably right... I got mine re-cored by a Mexican fellow in downtown fort worth who was pretty desperate for the business...Kept calling me asking when I was going to bring it in... Charged me 75 for the core and 50 labor...

KassonCougar
August 9th, 2001, 07:35 AM
Mark,
I'm sure you have stated somewhere in this forum what you have for an engine, but I'm fairly new to it, so I'll ask "is it a 351W"? I have one in my convertible and have recently got a new radiator for it. I checked out different sites on the internet for the best (cheapest) price. I ended up ordering from DiscountRadiator, and had them check to see if they had a 3 core, and they said they did, so I had them send it. Unfortunately, the one they sent was for a Cleveland (so the lower hose was on the wrong side). I sent it back and settled for the 2 core. I'm sure all they did was measure the core size and said it was the same. Not to say there isn't a 3 core (the local radiator shop here could get the core and mount it to the tanks if I wanted).
Anyway, I'm sure you know all this, but just a heads up.
-Brian

modifiedmark
August 9th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Brian,It is a W. You could have kept the 3 core and had you lower tank put on it. Kind of alot of messing around though isnt it? Your 2 core will be fine though as long as it is the 24" wide one, mine always kept it cool till it went south on me. A shroud dosent hurt any thing though. I only went 3 core as I got it cheaper than I could have gotten the 2 core for locally. Just for your own info, 69 was the last year for the pass side lower hose. After that they went to drivers side and you can change water pumps back and forth between years. mm

Tim B
August 9th, 2001, 01:43 PM
When my radiator was recored, they kept the bottom and top sections, so it retained the original Ford script, AND hose locations.

Tim B
1969 XR7 428 CJR convertible
http://members.aol.com/timbrands/index.html

modifiedmark
August 9th, 2001, 09:56 PM
Yeah, it would have been nice to go recore for that reason, mine has the orig C9# on the side braces too. But it dosnt matter that much to me as I don't worry over a little oem # on the side of a radiator that most people will never see and if they did they wouldnt know what they were looking at. By the way most people dont realize the upper and lower tanks can get weak with age also, they corrode, tend to crack at the joints and seams, so since I want to be able to take of in my Cougar and go some place, I dont have to worry as much about having a break down with a totally new radiator. And getting it cheaper is also a nice side note.mm

modifiedmark
August 12th, 2001, 07:24 PM
Well no Cougar cruising this weekend as my new radiator got lost in transit. Called Mustangs Unlimited friday when it didnt show up by noon and they did there part and shipped it last monday afternoon. They gave me UPS's tracking # and then I found out it went to Cach ILL by Wed and it should have went from there to my local UPS terminal for home delivery thursday but instead it got routed by mistake to Salt Lake City Utah!!!. This Sucks!!!. O well, I guess that this is a reminder that if you really need something shipped and you need a gauranteed delivery date that you better pay for the extra service. Before everyone starts telling there UPS horror stories I just want to say that UPS usally gives me the best service and I usally have no problems at all with them as my drivers know where to put packages when I'm not home and such. I have no good stories to tell about FEDEX at all. At least I should have my radiator by next weekend when I really wanted it the most.mm