'glass hood [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 'glass hood

woodsnake
June 26th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Center 'pin', how critical is it? I have the "U" bolt that attaches to the hood latch. Can you safely get away with out it? Or is it a critical part of the assembly? If it needs to be there, how do you secure it to a non-threaded 'glass hood?

Udo
June 27th, 2009, 12:55 AM
I think the "u" bolt is actually the secondary retention system, the "pin" being the primary. as far as attaching it, i'm not sure how you could attach it and retain structural stability.

Bad69cat
June 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Not sure what you are saying wood? You don't want the old cotter pin hood keepers I take it? (going through hood) Might depend on how stable/Stiff your hood design is....if it flexes it could crack your primo paint job.....not good. (Hoods catch a ton of air underneath on these cats BTW)

Udo
June 29th, 2009, 12:58 AM
I think the part that Woodsnake is referring to is called the "latch dowel" and not hoodpins, Bad69cat...

Wood- you might have to go with hoodpins if you can't figure out how to keep the hood properly latched with only the "U" bolt or can't figure out how to make the latch dowel work with the 'glass hood...

woodsnake
June 29th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I don't mind the idea of hood pins, but I"m not sure about how to secure the "latch dowel" to the hood...I'll try and post some pictures next week or so, after I get the golly gosh heck out of here!

doctordesoto
June 29th, 2009, 12:07 PM
usually the hoods are available drilled and taped---a piece of alum was bonded in during mfg.
i had a glass hood on a t-bolt replica with stock latches--i've never seen a hood with stock latches blow off but saw at least one every weekend at the drags blow up cuz someone forgot the pins!!!
doctordesoto