installing doors on my xr7 [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: installing doors on my xr7

jene
June 24th, 2009, 09:15 PM
day before fathers days i got my calif doors from calkat and started working on them. wire brushed where needed, rust treatment inside seams, undercoated inside of door bottoms had me a great time covered in dirt.

next day rebore out the pin bushings with heavy duty ones and time to install doors.

'ever do it?' my mechanic asked? NO 'let the body shop do it.'

what and miss all that fun? well we struggled for better part of two days getting one door on and able to close, with only minor paint chips and lots of sore muscles.

i remember being told to line them up from the back quarter but after struggling adjusting the door hinges, why are the doors so different? i marked the hinges before taking them off car but they don't line up on car now.

the question is: I really need to take the front fenders off to adjust the doors don't i ?

my shop manual is no use other than tolerances.

jene

nymorey
June 24th, 2009, 09:20 PM
the question is: I really need to take the front fenders off to adjust the doors don't i ?

my shop manual is no use other than tolerances.

jene

To do it right, they have to come off. Take note of any shims used. I struggled with mine too. Use tape along the edges so you don't chip the paint. Use two people to remove the fender.
When I finally did get the doors lined up, the windows won't line up. After days of monkeying with them, I finally gave up and will be converting to 1970 windows this winter.

jene
June 24th, 2009, 11:12 PM
well at least the doors are empty, i have installing windows and aligning them up later on. they sure are heavy.

when i decided to restore this car i had no idea of what it took in time money and muscle power. is this why they call them muscle cars?

jene

nymorey
June 25th, 2009, 07:58 PM
well at least the doors are empty, i have installing windows and aligning them up later on. they sure are heavy.

when i decided to restore this car i had no idea of what it took in time money and muscle power. is this why they call them muscle cars?

jene

Right on with the windows. Get the body panels lined up first.

jene
July 15th, 2009, 11:04 PM
well the white doors are on my red xr7 and i am getting tired of finding rust spots, bondo,holes, bent parts and lots of other discouraging things. is this the way of restoring these cars? seeing the years of neglect and poor workmanship i never knew how luck i was to buy my first cat twenty years ago in california.
one day at a time, step by step.
there is so much more to do and no one around willing to do it with me.
carlisle wasn't much help as i talked to other owners having the same problems, did manage to spend lots of money and a long drive both ways.
oh well

1970fastcat
July 16th, 2009, 04:35 AM
i think a lot of the bondo and crap found in these things is from people in the past having cheap quick paint jobs put on them just so they can sell them for a little more. only the people that didnt love the car they owned at the time would do crappy work on them. I have one that was done the same way, its going to require a lot of welding