rh headlight emblem?? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: rh headlight emblem??

Red-67-XR7
June 14th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have the emblem off and all restored. Which way is the best to secure it back on the door cover?? JB weld or taping and screwing it on?? Any comments guys?

390XR7
June 14th, 2009, 02:36 PM
I've heard to use an epoxy to hold it back on.check out the WCCC site.Don usually has some tips included with the description as to attaching the emblem back on

clanceman427
June 14th, 2009, 09:56 PM
when you say emblem, do you mean the entire box that the Cougar lives in? If so, then what I did was tap the old protrusions that were swaged on (what was left of them since I had to grind the mushrooms off to dismantle) with 6-32 thread. then I took 6-32 flat head screws, and screwed the box to the rest of the door. I cut the excess screw length off so that the screws were only as long as needed to be flush so the aluminum black cougar background would assemble without issues. The cat itself screws on so the aluminum piece is already sandwiched. Hope this helps.

P.s. I used the same procedure to re-attach the metal background pieces to the extreme ends of the 1969 grilles in the corners where the fender extensions are adjacent. Just used lock washers and flat head screws. Adhesives probably work fine but I wanted hardware re-assurance.

Kevin

Red-67-XR7
June 19th, 2009, 07:27 AM
Well it was not as hard as i thought it would be. But I decided to drill and tap the studs with a #4-40 thread screw and it worked out great. I will have pics of the front end up soon. Thanks for the advise all.