Gassy [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Gassy

magaglia
August 3rd, 2001, 05:55 PM
I am having vapor lock problems when the temperature here in Colorado gets above the 90's. I am contemplating the install of an aftermarket electric fuel pump and bypass on the mechanical. I am open for any suggestions regarding this as far as recommended pumps or if I am even heading (or not) down the right road.
Thank you for comments, --MG

ChadInman
August 5th, 2001, 05:34 PM
If you don't have a spacer plate besure to get one because that alone can cure vapor lock. Your fuel lines may be too close to the exhuast or engine and that too can cause problems. Another way to fix your problem is to get a single in/double out fuel filter. It lets the air bubbles and vapor recirculate back into the fuel tank while the other oulet maintains a constant liquid fuel rate. I don't believe an electric pump is nessasary, but if you get one, I recomend a Holley. - Chad

cougarguy
August 6th, 2001, 09:55 PM
One of the most overlooked thing in vapor lock is the gas cap! I am always hearing about pulling lines away from heat and the like, but hese cars didn't suffer from vapor lock when new so why now? I had trouble with a couple of vehicles with vapor lock, change the gas cap it pressurizes the system and WOW no more vapor lock. Not saying that this will definatly fix your problem but try there first its a cheap fix and many people overlook it.