going to check out an e-bay cougar sunday [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: going to check out an e-bay cougar sunday

cougar1
November 23rd, 2002, 10:22 PM
Got a hold of the guy and will go see this cougar Sunday. It's only 10 miles from my house. Been looking for a '69 XR7 w/air for a little bit now. Don't like the paint on it (actually the stickers on it, hopefully they are stickers) but hey, it souds in good shape and who knows until I go look at it! Sold my '69 351 4spd in '94.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1873308153
Hope the pasted link works.
Let ya'll know..
Bert

dark7068
November 24th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Does look good, let us know if its worth it, and what the bottom dollar is.

Rick

Nitcat
November 24th, 2002, 05:39 AM
...and what the deal is with the stickers...

72cat
November 24th, 2002, 01:43 PM
ditto what he said about the stickers.....:)

DroptopCougr
November 24th, 2002, 02:44 PM
Hey - I've seen that car as well. The "Cougar" stickers don't come off - they are painted on like stripes. It was for sale on a major road (S.R. 200) only 10 minutes from my home as well. Seemed like a decent car except for the stickers. The owner was asking 9,000ish at that time for it. Good to see the price has gone down.

sixt9coug
November 24th, 2002, 05:16 PM
id tell him that id have to spend $3,000 getting the car professionaly repainted to cover up the stickers because they are not fitting my particular tastes... get him to cut the price down .. way down..... then id buy $50 worth of materials and paint it myself. lol

cougar1
November 24th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Well i went and checked it out.
Droptop..It is the same car. The guy who showed it to me said he sold it to friends near Ocala and they were going to give it to their son but he got too big to fit between the steering and the seat! I didn't ask. They tried to sell it there but to no avail. So it came back down to So. Fl. back to the guy who sold it to them.

Here's the low down. The car has rust at the bottom of the driver door(very slight) and on the trunk floor directly above the frame rails (typical cougar rust spot). There was rust around the back glass but it was repaired but you could still tell. That was the major problem with the car..Everything was done half assed! The body panel did not line up well. The guy told me the a/c was shorted. There was more half assed stuff but this post will get too long. Here's the crazy thing..the car was originally butternut yellow with a black vinyl top!! I didn't even want to go into who the nutcase was that made it look the way it does now. You could see yellow spots on the inside of every panel. There was no headliner left, just bare roof. I general to put the car back to it's original condition would require total restoration. The worse part of it is having to undo and redo all the half assed stuff that was done in the first place.
Oh well, my search continues.. I'm really thinking now that you have to have someone look at a car before bidding on it!!
Bert

modifiedmark
November 24th, 2002, 08:24 PM
You know your right, you cant trust anyone anymore. E-bay gives you all the room in the world to describe a vehicle and yet these yahoos dont bother to go into detail in the descriptions. That tells me there either ignorant or trying to hide stuff on a P.O.S. The way this guys walks the thin line on description tells you he's hiding with general statements and such. I belive that a missing headliner is something that ought to be stated in the description!! And he states the bodys restored when you can find visable rust??? Never mind it must just be me???? mm

dark7068
November 24th, 2002, 08:33 PM
A headliner is an important thing that should be mentioned. Same as a color change, and alot more pix, and better ones of the interior.

Rick

72cat
November 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Yeah well, talk about the truth and PO's, just look at all the hassles I am having with the 70, and the guy swore it had been looked after like a baby, right, an abused baby maybe, either that or he was <@#!??$# stupid.

BTW, no headliner, no interior rear panels, nothing on the back panel, looks like cats attacked the seats, pull any knob too hard the it will break off, but what the hell, its a cougar :D

ZeroTolerance
November 25th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Easy Mark, it'll be okay....simmer down :D :D

I think we all have that rage-like feeling when we see something listed that way. That's why a lot of us are leery of buying anything 'sight-unseen' on Ebay, even though there's pictures. Too much 'decoding' of the description needed, like mark said.

I've driven away from a private seller's place saying "Gawd, didja see that thing?" many, many times. I think eBay's a last resort for a lot of folks.

72cat
November 25th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Did you read the 'sellers' guide on this thread?https://www.mercurycougar.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4132

Logan
November 25th, 2002, 05:56 PM
I just beat the tar out of them if I arrive and they've wasted my time... That's exactly why I damn near wrote a book describing my cat and took many many photos...

ZeroTolerance
November 25th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Yeah, and now you only have to deal with the "I'll give ya $3000 for it" kinda guys. You know, those dudes who try to wear you down...I hate them, maybe worse than the flim-flam sellers.

modifiedmark
November 25th, 2002, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Logan
I just beat the tar out of them if I arrive and they've wasted my time... That's exactly why I damn near wrote a book describing my cat and took many many photos...

Logan you did it the right way! Thats what I meant when I said you have all the room one needs to go into detail about it.

I agree with what you said about haveing your time wasted, altough I think there should be a law allowing you to shoot them on the spot when it happens. I have been on waaayyy to many wild goose chase's myself to look at this FINE car to end up seeing a P.O.S. :angryfi: .

You know I coulda bought that 70 Cougar in San Diego but this is the reason I didnt, the guy told too many different stories and I lost faith in him as a seller. And its too far away for me to go back and beat his A** when its done.

ZeroTolerance, I dont mind someone trying to haggle to point. Thats part of the game and I know when to stop it when they try to go too far! I just tell them to get the hell out.mm

cougar1
November 25th, 2002, 08:34 PM
I think that the nice thing about this forum is that there are many of us spread throughout the country (and other countries) and we have a common interest and knowledge of these cars. Personally I would have no problem going to check out a car for a fellow member and hope the same would be done in return. (obviously maybe not if it's 300 miles away but you get the idea).

This way if you see something on E-bay, somone could possibly check it out for you and then you can make an intelligent and informed decision.
Bert

modifiedmark
November 26th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by cougar1
I think that the nice thing about this forum is that there are many of us spread throughout the country (and other countries) and we have a common interest and knowledge of these cars. Personally I would have no problem going to check out a car for a fellow member and hope the same would be done in return. (obviously maybe not if it's 300 miles away but you get the idea).

Bert

Bert, Tim B was good enough to do just that for me on the 70 in San Diego and it sure was appreciated and helped me decide on the sale. I myself would be more than happy to check a car for another member but NW Indiana isnt the hotbed of where most people look for a classic car, but you never know. mm