Should I take it? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Should I take it?

joyride
July 26th, 2001, 08:41 PM
I have the option of purchasing a 1969 Cougar XR7 for $7500.

It has a V8 390 Engine and nearly everything is stock (except for engine parts being replaced. It has flowmaster exhaust, new tires, new shocks. it has the nice stock rims. Body is in almost perfect shape except for some paint wear in minimal spots, the interior is near flawless except for the tach not working (aftermarket one is mounted on the steering column). The engine needs some work... it idles rough and the guy said it is probably due to the 5th cylinder not compressing correctly? I dunno. he puts leaded 100 octane fuel in there and I don't have that option so i would probably need to have a valve job done on it soon after I got the car. The motor itself will need to be rebuilt in the future but it seems like it runs pretty good now. Has no A/C and gets poor gas mileage (as expected). This is my dream car but i still need it to drive around to go to school and work. So... should I take it? My dad feels this price is alittle high but from what I've seen it isn't. I say its worth 6500-7000 but they are so rare in that good of condition that its worth the extra money to me. Tell me if I'm wrong cause I don't want to buy a melon :)

-michael b.

Logan
July 26th, 2001, 09:37 PM
Needs engine work and he wants 7500?... :rolleyes:

Wouldn't get a penny over 5000 out of me... IMHO...

Big block xr7's aren't THAT rare...Especially 390 cars...

Now if it was a 428cj or a boss cat, or maybe a 390 Eliminator, he might be able to twist 7500 out of me... But no way in heck for a regular 'ol xr7...

But then again, if it's your dream car, and there aren't any others readily available, you're not gonna listen to me anyway... :D

joyride
July 26th, 2001, 09:44 PM
Sigh... yeah I kind of figured it wasn't worth 7500. And he said he was firm.
But when you want something you will kind of twist things to make them turn into a good thing I guess...
It is kind of disheartening because I was so stoked but I have gotton a couple responses like yours from dad, sister, etc.. lol
I guess I will keep looking around.. maybe something will turn up or he will lower his price by 3 grand. :(

-michael b.

Logan
July 27th, 2001, 07:25 AM
Just keep lookin' dude. It took me about 3 months to find the right cat after making the decision I wanted one...

15 grand later, it looks half decent... :)

joyride
July 27th, 2001, 01:17 PM
Ok this is my second attempt lol...
Say I buy it for about 7500. I sell my current car for 5 grand give or take. That leaves about 2500 left for me to pay over a couple years which to me isn't much. Now, if the body or interior doesn't need work, then that saves alot of money right there does it not? I remember him correctly he said the engine will need to rebuilt in the future to obtain full efficiency (not sure on that though). He himself has replaced alot of stuff in the engine to date. Is the engine deal really that bad? Don't be soft, you all are far more educated about Cougar engines than me. What could go wrong? Talk me out of buying this car if you can cause I don't want to make a mistake. Be vicious :D

-michael b.

Logan
July 27th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Big blocks are expensive to rebuild. Heck, everything to do with Ford is 1.25 times more expensive than a chevy. Then big block parts cost even more.

Let me put it this way, Between parts and labor for a low-400hp 351w small block build up (Doing it right), cost me about $4500.

If he's already done "stuff" to it, I bet it's been rebuilt at least once in it's life, which means it's already been overbored once. You may be buying a motor than may not be ABLE to be rebuilt again. You can only take so much surface off the piston walls before they're too thin.

For $7500, you should be getting a VERY nice driver condition cougar, including a very nice well detailed engine bay with a nice rebuilt motor in it already.

That engine talk about it needing to be rebuilt and what you said about the low compression in a cynlinder would send me running the other direction. Or at the very least, if I'm REALLY serious about buying it for that price, spend the extra couple hundred to have a head pulled and inspect the cynlinder wall thickness and piston tops. That way, you'd get a great comfort level with the status of the motor.

Like I said, big blocks are expensive, you don't buy it only to find out it's not rebuildable...at which point you'd have to locate a decent old shortblock and rebuild it instead.

joyride
July 27th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Thanks a bunch Logan.
That's what I needed to hear to convince me and it is very appreciated.
Looks like I will keep looking for a '69 Cougar :)
Sorry for being a little hard headed. Thanks again.

-michael b.

Logan
July 27th, 2001, 05:16 PM
I've been there myself a few times...

Keep looking, the right cat will show up. You know it's the right one when you don't even have a moment's hesitation buying it after looking at it. If you find yourself hesitating or trying to justify the purchase to yourself, it's the wrong deal for you...

Take care and good luck!!