Mercury Cougar Owners banner

Interior color

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  Logan 
#1 ·
I'm getting ready to redye my enterior, who out there can give me some info on cleaning all the Armorall off first. I've heard that denatured alcohol works well anyone ever try it?? Second question, my interior is B- 5 blue (light blue) does anyone know what color my rear window deck should be, Its so faded now I can't tell what color is used to be, I would think it should be Lt blue but, it almost looks like it was never colered.

Thanks

#2 ·
Scott,
I used soap and water followed by laquer thinner. The thinner softens up the vinyl and helps the dye adhere. Check with the supplier of whatever kind of dye you select. They may even sell a prep product. I used a product called Molecubond from Bryndana Inc. I was very happy with the results initially, however it has been tough to keep the seats clean, and I have had to dye them again in some places. The product worked very well on the door panels. The color was not a perfact match but they can blend it for an additional charge. I have extensive photos of my dye job on my website.

http://home.sprynet.com/~pamar/cougar.html

Paul G.

#3 ·
Molecubond Dye Performance?

Paul, you say you were happy initially. Has something happened to change your mind? Hard to keep clean?? Is that because you have white interior or does this dye magically attract dirt etc?

I am going from the dark green interior to black and wanted to try the dye trick as you have....but I don't want to go through all the work and expense if it's not going to look good in the end. I would rather continue to search for a complete black interior or just have mine reupholstered.

I would be interested in hearing your comments in a little more detail though.

Scott, is there any way that you can pop the back seat to reveal a covered edge of the rear package tray? Sometimes uncovering those little edges that are out of the light can reveal a whole story....just a thought.

#5 ·
Dale,

I'm right in the middle of dying my Dark green interior to black using the Molecubond stuff. Works great, love it, looks great, go for it.

I used a heavy duty vinyl cleaner to prep the surface and it adheres just fine...

Of course, the Pepboys kid looked at me kinda strange as I scooped every last bottle of the stuff off their shelves... :)

If you're doing the entire interior, you'll need about 10-12 cans @ $10 a can...

#6 ·
What did you use for the cleaner Logan? 10 - 12 Cans....really? Is it a spray can or ??? Is that the stuff you can buy at Walmart...we don't have Pepboys up here? :mad:

#7 ·
I just used a citrus based Vinyl/Leather cleaner/conditioner... Any vinyl specific cleaner should do the trick though. I just grabbed the first thing I saw...

As for where to buy, I forgot you're one of my canuck brethren. I bet Canadian Tire carries it in their automotive paint section. If not, try a generic autoparts store or order it online from brydana. The other option is go for a cruise through White Rock to the "other side" and find a pep boys... :)

#8 ·
Interior dye

Logan,
As far as the dye job goes, I have had trouble keeping the white clean on the back seats. The black seat belts seam to leave some kind of mark on the seats. It may have been that the seat belts were pretty cruddy at one time and although I cleaned them, they still have left marks. The door panels came out very good. The dye adhered very well and has been pretty easy to keep clean. I don't think it would be a problem with the black dye. I converted from black to white and in some small areas I had to re-dye where the black bled through slightly. If you are paying $10.00 a can go to walmart instead of pep boys. Walmart sells it for about $7.50. I believe I used about 30 cans to do my whole interior. Kinda ironic that I dyed mine from black, and you are dyeing yours to black. If you are not happy with the results, the dye can be removed with laquer thinner. It is probably worth the effort to dye, if you want a black interior, but have not found one. That way it will be the color you want, and you can take your time looking for a longer term solution. I believe that someday I will re-upholster the seats, but for now I am very happy with it and I get a lot of compliments on the interior.
Paul G.

#10 ·
Dye jobs

Catz I use a duponte dye that is made up for me and spray out of a gun. One liter or quart for US does a whole interior seats headliner and all.About $35 Canadian or $25 US. The laquer thinner is a good idea but don't leave on too long. Paul my White interior also had a prob from blk belts. I found that the white dye sucked dirt in.At least at first. Now the dye is older no more transferring.Dale I have a blk 70 Xr7 interior I am switching out of a 390 Xr7 for the correct white.Its available if you want it.Logan 30 cans Holy cow. Did you use your truck to haul all that? Catz yaz Ray:cool:

#11 ·
That was paul who used 30 cans... Me, I'm going from Ivy to Black, so I've only used 12 cans so far. I have the passenger seat left to dye, looks like I need another couple cans... :(

On a cool note, I just laid the new carpet from ACC in the cat last night after POR-15'ing the floor and trunk spaces last wednesday... Starting to come together, which is good... Major indoor car show this cat is supposed to be in on the weekend of August 11th... Ugh.

Out to the garage I go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.