390 ? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 390 ?

kirkm76
October 18th, 2002, 10:56 AM
I was wondering, anyone know what the going rate for a basic 390 long block would be. My friend is looking to get his 62 Thunderbird on the road again. Just curious as to a ballpark figure. He has a rebuildable core (actually, it still runs, but needs rings, etc).

dan
October 18th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Premier ind. sells a short and long block for 1100.00-1500.00 If it were me I would look around for a 428 or 429.My 390 is very tired looking around for HP parts is a PIA.Find a69-72 T bird and do the trans plant.Here in Ohio its cheaper to buy the whole car than the motor.We did that with a dump truck found a 79 town car with a 460 for 500.00

kirkm76
October 18th, 2002, 03:52 PM
428 would be nice, but I am not sure a 385 series big block would fit. Being an early 60's ford, the hoodline is very low and the 390 is squeezed in there pretty well. He has never even been able to find any headers that fit. It would be cool though. How do the 429/460 and the FE big blocks compare size-wise and is the 428 easier to find performance stuff for than the 390. Also, how much cash you talking for a 428 long block (unless the heads, etc from the 390 will work, then he could do the short block).

LiLWrink
October 18th, 2002, 04:27 PM
That ol' 390 can be turned into a Plenty mean machine I have found. 429-460 can be swapped, but if the core you have would rebuild that would be the most economical. Unless you just have your mind set on much more, then motorsport and some other aftermarket sources like Je3g's or Summit, to name a few. Motorsport also has the headers and motormount Kits that you will need, but I'd bet that you would be dissapointed when you got them, I was and now I make my own. A grinder, chopsaw, torch, and a welder is all you need. the diamensions vary a little from car to car but they are not hard to measure out once you figure that the folks who first built the cars were doing them the easiest way they could mass produce them. I've got a 429 in a fox body Mustang, a friend has a 460 in a Falcon, another friend has a 460 in a 66 fastback Mustang. all of these cars are smaller than a T-bird, and NO they are not easy to work on. Everything is a tight fit and expeensive. Heck, when I joined the Lone Star Cougar Club I got to be friends with a guy who runs a 460 in a 67 Cougar. A very sharp cat, that is quick,quick!
Blue oval is kinda expensive, Big, Bad, Blue oval can be very costly. Motorsport 460- 550hp list for about 5,500.oo, or you can order a CJ-600hp 514ci. motor for around $8,100.oo!
At Calvert's speed and machine in Denton Tx. a budget rebuild starts at about $1,400.oo if you use the good stuff. The higher performance mods do run considerably higher.
I have discoverd that 390-428's look the same on the outside. My advantage there, my eliminator is an S-code, what they don't know won't hurt! right? A few tricks forthcomeing?
a running 460 with C9VE or DOVE heads, no matter what the shape it in as long as it will rebuild, brings about $1000 in this area, altho I did recently get another one for considerably less.
I did buy the whole car for $400.oo, Now if I could just find a free 67-68 cougar to make another race car out of...

:bandit: :evil: :ylsup: :xoli: :sun: :pimp:

LiLWrink
October 18th, 2002, 10:35 PM
I just rememberd, you can go to 67-8 parts for sale on this forum and my friend logan has posted a pic of the cougar I was refering to, trying to sell the front sheet metal, a ritchous deal for someone!
Anyway, power by 460. picture is worth a thousand words, the smoke is optional.:ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup: :ylsup:

Tim B
October 19th, 2002, 12:06 AM
here's a couple of links for FEs

http://fomoco.com/forumfe/

http://network54.com/Forum/74182

Also Edelbrock has a 390 package that he might like.

Tim B

sixt9coug
October 19th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by LiLWrink
C9VE or DOVE heads:bandit: :evil: :ylsup: :xoli: :sun: :pimp:

he he he... looking for a pair?? what are they worth to everyone when i find them?? yes.. WHEN i find them.....