My F250 is bleeding [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: My F250 is bleeding

dan
September 28th, 2002, 07:11 PM
My work horse is sick the power steering hose that goes from the pump to the gear box is leaking at the fitting at the gear box.Now how do you think is the best way to operate.Im only 5ft 6in. for me to get to it from the top I need a picknik table bench and a milk crate.Do you think if I take the front tire off then the inner fender a better Idea?This truck has ony 70,000 miles and those fittings are pretty rusty If I get in there I might do both of them.If any one has donr this fill me in on the best way.I"ve all ready got the PB Blaster soakin on it.Either was it looks like a PITA job.

modifiedmark
September 28th, 2002, 09:49 PM
Dan I got a f250 and it bleeds ME everytime I go to the gas station, LOL

I know where your coming from on the rusty lines, so first go get 2 new ones and then cut the old ones off right at the fittings( if there really rusty I have just twisted them off by hand before). Now with them cut off you can get a 6 point wrench or socket on the fittings and have a chance at getting them to come out.

I keep a 2 step stool in the garage for working on mine (its a 4x4 so its really tall) then I always basically climb in under the hood and end up standing on my head anyway. mm

Cougrrcj
September 29th, 2002, 08:17 AM
There was a time when I could crawl or slide under most cars to do things like changing the oil, etc, but something happened. And no, I'm not talking Model Ts or As here. I'm talking my Cougars and such. Daily drivers. Either the cars got lower because the springs lost their lift, or they are engineering them with less ride height, or I got much...ummmm,....errr,....thicker. I vote for the car getting lower. Yeah, that's it. (that's my story and I'm sticking to it!) ;)

My wife's F250HD sits so high that most people assume it is a 4x4 even though it isn't. OK, so it has fatter all-terrain tires on it (265/75/16), but they're the same diameter as the stockers (235/85/16). I have to stand on the running boards just so I can reach the center of the hood when I'm washing it, and you can forget about ever reaching the middle of the roof and I'm 5'9". I have resorted to using a floor dust mop on a pole for that! The wife insisted that I had to put the 4" drop running boards on it just so she could get in and out of the thing without stepping on a curb first. She loves her truck though! Lots of accelleration power with its 460 and 4.10 gears!

Oh, and I have no problem fitting under her truck, LOL :p:

dan
September 29th, 2002, 04:22 PM
Yea ,I"ll get 2 new lines see if they match and dig in.I got plenty of never seeze to go with it.Great stuff I dont leave home with out it.