Im back [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Im back

dark7068
September 14th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Hi all, how's everyone doing. Ive been busy getting things in order for the kids going back to school, settling some personal affairs, and finding a motor for my Fairlane.

Well, I found a 68 Torino Coupe and bought it Tuesday for the motor (sight unseen). It ended up being in real nice shape, and Im insuring it for winter. Its a 390/C6, and has disk brakes. The drive train is going in my Fastback in the spring, until then Im driving it. I might also have a job at the airport here in the shop, working on the motors (Im excited about that).
I''ll post a picture of the Torino in the gallery, so take a look. Im still kinda busy with getting things squared away here, but I'll be back in full force soon as I can.

Rick

sixt9coug
September 14th, 2002, 12:48 PM
welcome back man... been strange without the Canadian accent here lol. on the other hand AAHH!!! using a 68 Torino for a winter beater??? aahh!!

dark7068
September 14th, 2002, 01:21 PM
Thanx Steve, so kind,:) Well, it's either using the Torino, or the wifes new (to her) 81 Chrysler Corboda Limited Edition or what ever it is. Her grandma gave it to her this week, so we have a good running car for a change. ;)

Rick

modifiedmark
September 14th, 2002, 02:13 PM
Dark, wondered where you been! That sounds bad though having to get a Chrysler in the family to get a good running car LOL!!:D mm

dark7068
September 14th, 2002, 03:25 PM
Yeah, but its been garage kept but 2 old people, and hardly driven. It's actually a nice looking car, it has a vinyl roof that looks like a convert. You'd swear it was, even up close to it, but its not.

I just insured the 68 Torino today (2 day permit), and what a blast of a car. the 390 just purrrrrrs, and has so much ummph it's so cool. It's only a 2 barrel Y code, but has so much power compared to my built up 289, and the 390 is stock. I will keep the 390 as is until spring, just put on dual exhaust for now. It's so quiet you cant hear it run. It's actually a nice sleeper, I even took off the 390 emblem off (it's missing one, but I found another from Ray). So when I get that one, they will go on.

Rick

dan
September 14th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Dose it have the rich corinthian leather.....Dark start looking for HP part for the 390 now unless you got a good sorce...hey if you made it past security at the airport you will probably get the job good luck.

CrazyCat
September 14th, 2002, 11:11 PM
welcome back Rick. You scored on that one. It looks like it's in good shape.
-Austin

texrep
September 14th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Rick,
Couldn't you just save the torino and buy a pinto or vega:1poke: that's wat we used to do in Detriot...LOL

Check my buddy's Fairlane in the gallery.... maybe you'll change your mind LOL Hey, What;s one more project

Don:1poke:

Jon Manning
September 15th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Hey Texrep, will still do in the Detroit area. Nice find Dark, I've been sort of looking for a 68 formal roof GT big block car to go with my xr7-G

dark7068
October 1st, 2002, 12:26 PM
Well, I pulled the motor out of the Torino on the weekend, and Im either going to sell it or part it out. It needed front end work, rear spring work, and back window, so I just swapped motors and drivetrain. My cars going to cook with the 390 in it. :) Im still doing the swap, so Ive been real busy but Im trying to catch up here, and hopefully things slow down so I can do my job here again, (sorry Logan). I'll be back later guys.:) Cheerss

Rick

cougarguy
October 1st, 2002, 01:12 PM
Jon how about a 67 fairlane gta with all the body work done and interior bought ready to install? Plus a nice california car never seen salt. he is asking 5,000.00 but will probably come down. drive train just needs to be done but also comes with competition headers.

cougarguy
October 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Oh and rick welcome back and make that 390 a 410! keep it mercury even if it says ford.:D :p:

Jon Manning
October 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM
had a 67 G.T. convert. there nice car's but still kind of looking for a 68 formal roof torino G.T. only because my brother-in- law had a brand new one in 68 and he wouldn't let me drive it. Don't know why just cause I was 14 and hardly could reach the clutch pedal. But the 67 sound's nice, a good place to put my 428cj and C6 :rolleyes:

cmpcpro
October 1st, 2002, 03:39 PM
Welcome back Rick! Haven't seen you around here for a while.

dark7068
October 1st, 2002, 03:42 PM
Jon, mines for sale after I take the parts of it I need. I will transfer theparts over if your interested. Its missing a few pieces, but mostly complete. 700.US and its yours :) Just delivery will be high, Im in BC, Canada. I have pix of your interested.

Rick

Jon Manning
October 1st, 2002, 06:13 PM
Rick, if it's a G.T. with a 4 speed and bucket's would really be interested. I seen the one picture and your's look's to be a Brougham??? let me know.
Jon

dark7068
October 1st, 2002, 06:54 PM
4 speed, buckets, sorry, I couldnt resist. I know what they are worth. :) Its just a torino, the roof is painted brown (no vinyl roof) but the car was Diamond Blue in its previous life, if it was still blue, Id keep it. It will be basically a resto car, with 8in. drum brakes, 302 mounts, etc. Everything I take off my Fairlane might go on the torino, if I dont part it out. It will take awhile to swap parts over, so thats why the price. Or I will just dump them in the trunk, you bring a flatbed, and its yours for 550.US. I do have papers.

Rick

Jon Manning
October 1st, 2002, 07:51 PM
Oh well I'd thought it might be worth a try, darn. It's o.k. I'm tired of diamond blue anyway's. My xr7-G is diamond blue and the other G car I sold was diamond blue. Maybe this is an omen. Thank's anyway's Rick.
Jon

dark7068
October 1st, 2002, 07:56 PM
Id rather sell it complete, (more work for me though), but Im so tired of swapping parts right now, I just might let it sit, and strip off parts as people ask.
I just put a shift kit in the C6 now, and its going in the car tomorrow, then I get to swap rear ends :) Or..... do you think the 8in. will bolt up to the drive shaft, and use the 3.55 gears instead of the 9in. 2.75. I will get new gears and posi for the 9in. and bolt that in later if I dont have to now.

Rick

cougarguy
October 1st, 2002, 09:01 PM
Jon what part of Michigan? its my home state grew up in davison by flint. Anyhow if your truly interested i will be happy to help out in anyway i can i have help get a 68 to canada so im sure getting a gta to the wolverine state will be easier. he would probably bring down the price without a drive train in it im sure it is green with a white stripe down the side i think. if you like i can take some pictures and get better details. My email is [email protected]

Jon Manning
October 2nd, 2002, 05:10 AM
Thank's for the offer, But it would really have to be the right car at the right time. I have a union contract coming up in March and the company I work for is trying to send everything to mexico cause they don't want to pay American wage's. So needless to say I might be joining alot of people on this site that's looking for work or relocating.But yes I know were Davison is I have friend's in Fenton, which I believe is sort of close. I'm just west of Detriot in Redford Twp. I beleive texrep might be familiar with the area he was from around here some where. I appreciate the offer though, by the way my G car came from Stockton and that ran me alittle over a grand to get it here. Thank's Again
Jon

cougarguy
October 2nd, 2002, 10:03 AM
understood should you decide to change your mind you know where to find me.:D