Data recovery ??? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Data recovery ???

modifiedmark
August 31st, 2002, 10:13 PM
I'll make a long story as short as I can. Got a new cdrw drive and tried to use it with EZ Cd creator 5.1. It said the drive wasnt supported but I went to Roxios site and it said it supported the next older model, with 5.1b so I went and downloaded there newest update for recorder support and installed it.

It seemed ok then and I copied a disk or two and all went well, but the problem was with the direct CD program and some cdrw disks that I already had data on. It would not read them and screwed them up good. All they do now is lock up the computer when you insert them. Tried to scandisk them and it says there damaged beyond repair. (some volume table or something like that) No big deal except one was my picture saving CD. Now I have 3 years worth of pictures I cant access:angryfi: . I thought it was safer than leaving them on the hard drive!!!

I was just wondering if any technical person has any suggestions that can help me get my pictures back off this disk!!!

Thanks for any help. mm

cmpcpro
September 1st, 2002, 12:28 AM
If you can try the CD's in another computer. Personally I've liked Easy CD Creator, but 5.1 didn't seem so easy to me, and did the same thing. When it sees a CDRW it trys to load its own program and locks it up. I was able to use it on another computer once, and not the other time.

What CDRW drive did you use to make them? What software did it come with? Come wont let you read the disk unless you have their software installed.

Chris

modifiedmark
September 1st, 2002, 08:16 AM
Chris, heres where I screwed up. The disks were made with my old 8x4x2 Plextor drive and the new one is a 40x12x40 Optorite.

My kids computers pII prosessor took a crap so I switched out the board to a new one with a new duron and found a really good deal on the new optorite drive and decided to put it in mine and go ahead and throw the old Plextor in the kids.

The new Drive came with Nero, which I find very confusing compared to the EZ CD so I went ahead and tried the EZ CD.

Once I screwed up the first CDRW disk in the new drive I shouldnt have tried my picture CDRW in it, I should have gotten all my pictures put on the hard drive on the kids computer first.

The new drive works great after I uninstalled the ez cd and installed the supplied Nero, and the IN CD program with Nero will read the EZ CD disks with no problems, so thats where I goofed up was tring the new drive with the EZ CD.

The EZ CD 5.1 works perfectly in the kids computer with the Plextor, but not the ones that have been screwed up in the new drive trying to run the EZ CD program. So my quandry now is am I screwed out of all my pictures? MM

cmpcpro
September 1st, 2002, 11:52 AM
Mark, when you try to view the messed up CDs which drive do you put them in? The CD-Rom or the CDRW? If I remember correctly Easy CD Creator makes the CDRW disks into a special format so you can drag things into them from My Computer. It should have asked you if you wanted to format it when you put the RW disk in the CDRW drive. Did it ask you anything?

Now, when you put the CD in your computer or your kid's computer do they both lock up? How do you try to access them? From My Computer?

What you could also try is placing your Picture CD in the CDRW drive and starting Easy CD Creator again, One of my costumer's couputers would read their CDRW disks with their Easy CD Creator software.

What I will also do is call my uncle. He's certified by Microsoft, and fairly high up at Sun Microsystems, and knows alot about most everything to do with computers. As he has about 8 of his own all networked at his house (Which makes for some mean Starcraft games hehe).

Chris

kirkm76
September 3rd, 2002, 02:19 PM
Man, that sucks. I will say though that once I figured out Nero it was way more stable than ez-cd creator. I'd try it in another PC, but it sounds like you may be boned...

cougarguy
September 3rd, 2002, 03:58 PM
this is why i just burn cds and never use the cdrw disc at the price of cds why not they cost pennys. Sounds to me like you double formated with two different types of programs from what i am getting. the disc has two types of systems on it and doesnt know what to do thats why it is corrupted and freezing your computer up i think but will ask some of my digifile freinds. the only way you may be able to acess the files is in dos and on a computer with only a dos OS on it. true dos not windows fake dos they run now. This is all very a painstaking and will take a long time to sort the language and unless your really up on dos you may be sol.

modifiedmark
September 3rd, 2002, 09:05 PM
Thanks so far guys. Here is the kicker, both incd and directcd will read the same disks no problem. It was just when I tried ezcd with the new drive that screwed them up. I can write to a disk on the new drive with Nero and read it in the kids computer with ezcd and vice versa, so I'm fine with the nero on mine and if I want to use ezcd I can do it on the kids.

I'm sure someone can retrive my pictures, I just dont know where to look for that person. mm

cmpcpro
September 3rd, 2002, 11:05 PM
I have an idea... try copying your picture CD to a NON CDRW disk, one that cannot be rewritten on, that way it won't try to load with one of the programs as it won't be a CDRW... worth a try huh?

Chris

Oh... and if it locks up when you put it in the computer, disable Autorun first.

cougarguy
September 4th, 2002, 12:04 AM
to disable autorun go to start, then control panel then system then open cd roms and hit properties and autorun will be located there just fyi.

dalerivers
September 15th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Mark....I have a host of tricks for retrieving data but some are very hard to describe and even harder to perform without the right app's.

We have many different professional apps here for analyzing, reading, writing, duplicating CD's as that is part of our business. Believe it or not....we have retrieved data from CDrw's that were reformatted (but not overwritten as yet) and have even pulled data from CD's that were warped from a fire.

I would be willing to try and retrieve your data for you if you want to send your CD's to me. I can't promise anything but will give it a shot for you.....

Drop me a line... [email protected] and I can give you my address if your interested.

Dale

modifiedmark
September 15th, 2002, 08:48 PM
Thanks Dale, you got mail.mm

dalerivers
September 24th, 2002, 09:39 PM
CD's are on their way back to you via UPS Overnight. Let me know when you get them....

Dale

modifiedmark
September 24th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Will do Dale, and I want to let everyone know how you went out of the way to help out another Cougar fan!!

Everyone!! this Dale is a great fellow!:D mm