351 fuel injection worth anything? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: 351 fuel injection worth anything?

modifiedmark
August 21st, 2002, 10:23 AM
I have a complete 89 5.8 fuel injection setup I just took off my truck. I think it could use some injectors but the EGR valve, throttle air bypass valve and TPS are all new in the last year, with hardly any miles on them. Its all there pretty much including the comp controlled dist with a new module on it. My question is is this stuff worth anything? Dose anyone want to do a retrofit to a older 351? Will if fit under the hood? Wouldnt a 5.0 retrofit harness work? Let me know what you guys think. I have no use for it. mm

Cougrrcj
August 21st, 2002, 04:09 PM
This is a good swap for those who want something a bit different under the hood! The 5.8 I have in my soon-to-be-gone 89 Marquis came from a lightning truck. The intake for a truck might be different than the car intake. I can't remember. I used an aftermarket intake and upper on mine. If your 351 EFI truck intake is like my wife's 460 EFI truck intake, you'll never get it under the hood of a car!

CrazyCat
August 21st, 2002, 11:05 PM
the intake may be too high, and for performance the truck intake is a peice of garbage. I'd bet the wire harness is similar to the 302 for someone who is interested. You can always add the FRPP mass air kit to the speed density harness/computer.

As for me, I am going the EFI route with a donor motor from a 89-93 stang when $ allows.

modifiedmark
August 21st, 2002, 11:13 PM
Yeah, I think its pretty high also, didnt now if a different upper mainifold could be used or not. I was just wondering what to do with it since I have alot of money tied up in new parts on it, heck the EGR valve was $100!! I thought maybe I could recoup some of it on e-bay but was trying to decide weather to sell it all together or break it up piece by piece. mm

CrazyCat
August 21st, 2002, 11:53 PM
toss it on ebay as a whole package and I'm sure someone will bite.

dark7068
August 22nd, 2002, 01:25 AM
That's to bad you have lots tied up into it, or Iwould of said its not worth much, just send it my way and I'll take it off your hands. :):D:D

Try ebay as a whole (with reserve), if no bids, then part it out on ebay.

Rick

modifiedmark
August 22nd, 2002, 07:14 AM
Thats a good idea Rick. I tell you what if anyone needs or can use it I wont put it on e-bay for a week or so and they can make me an offer on it. The only thing is it will end up costing a few dollars to ship because it will take a good size box and will weigh a few lbs. If I end up listing it, what kind of a reserve would it be worth?
Its pretty much all there and everything should be good except like I said the injectors probably need cleaned or replaced. mm

jimk351c
August 22nd, 2002, 08:04 AM
Mark,
I always set my reserve at the rock bottom that I'd be willing to let an item go for. Sometimes you get it, sometimes you don't. Just depends if the right buyers is out there. I've had items that I never thought would even sell go for a ton over the reserve price. It's rolling the dice...