Tire sizes and Harmonic Balancer [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Tire sizes and Harmonic Balancer

KassonCougar
June 27th, 2001, 07:36 AM
I have a '69 XR7 Convertable, 351W, FMX. I'm looking to put on new tires and wheels and was wondering what size I can go with and still have a (somewhat) accurate speedometer. I am planning on using the Magnum 500 wheels (I have found both 15X7 and 14X7 wheels). I think I can go with 235/60R15 and stay pretty accurate, but will they fit in the fender wells and what about the front (how big is too big)? Also, I need to find a harmonic balancer (3 bolt pulley version) as the rubber is deteriorating on mine. Any ideas on where to find a rebuilt or used one in good shape?

Thanks,

KassonCougar
June 27th, 2001, 12:14 PM
I found a harmonic balancer from US Powertrain (888-759-0814). It's new, not reconditioned. Cost was $80 delivered, which is quite a bit cheaper than getting my old one rebuilt. Any suggestions on tires?????

fowlerjcat
June 27th, 2001, 01:21 PM
KassonCougar,

The Classic Cougar Network (TCCN) has this information on their site and I followed it. I am running 15x8 rims with 225-60-15s on the front and 245-60-15s on the rear. The 245s are 26.1 inches tall, which is a little taller than the stock e78-14s that came on my 69 standard. The 225s on the front are about as wide as you can go without rubbing. This is just my experience with tires and wheels on my Cougar.

John

KassonCougar
June 27th, 2001, 01:48 PM
Thanks FowlerJCat - did you lift the front at all to get the 225's under it or is it just fine stock? And by the way, when did TCCN start charging to register? I'm sure I had registered before and recieved a reply, but now it looks like the site has changed. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
-Brian

fowlerjcat
June 27th, 2001, 02:34 PM
Brian,

No, I didn't have to raise the front to accommodate the 225s. My suspension is stock. Everything is close but enough clearance. The wheels I have are 4.75" backspacing. I think that is normal for this year of Ford product but not totally sure. I got mine through America's Tire. The tires are B.F. Goodrich TAs.

I just signed up with TCCN in January of this year so I don't know when they started charging. It is well worth the money though. I have gleaned a lot of information from other Cougar enthusiasts as well as been able to view a lot of their cars through "Cat Snaps" in their archives. Much like this site, it really helps to be able to read discussions on various items that involve our Cougars and have others to ask for information we need.

John

Ray
June 27th, 2001, 10:38 PM
I think TCCN started the fee about a year ago.I have a few dampners here if you still need one.K?Catz ya;)

Scott
July 20th, 2001, 06:21 PM
I have 255 15's on the back of my car and 235 14's on the front and, have never rubbed even with 03 kids in the back and, two adults in the front. Any bigger though and there would be rubbing.