Headers?? [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Headers??

Chris Gohlich
June 9th, 2001, 06:08 PM
Hi there from the UK!!

I'm a limey owner with a problem.

I've got a 69 Cougar running a 351W with an FMX trans.

I want some headers but dealers over here only seem to stock ones that fit Mustangs with C4 trans.

Does anyone know if anyone (e.g. Hooker, Hedman etc) makes headers that will fit?

Grateful for any info.

Cheers

Chris

TheRktmn
June 9th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Hooker, Hedman, Thorley - list goes on. You can check them out online at http://www.summitracing.com or http://jegs.com. They are readily available for standard engines like the 351W. Of course if your Cat is right handed that may cause a problem....:D I don't know if any were made with right hand drive, were there? :confused:

TheRktmn
June 9th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Oops, meant to say that if you need part numbers for them I can supply them for you. One thing I have plenty of is parts catalogs! :)

Logan
June 10th, 2001, 10:26 AM
I have Hooker Comp #6901's on my 69 XR7, which has a 351W and FMX combo in it as well.

I didn't have to make ANY mods to put them on, and didn't have to use a drop bracket either.

KassonCougar
August 6th, 2001, 07:42 AM
Logan,
I have the same basic setup you had listed here, (although the difference may be mine is a convertable). I am trying to install the Hooker Comp 6901's on it now, and the drivers side header hits the back drivers side corner of the FMX's pan (it also hits the PS cylinder shaft). I'm assuming the Hooker PS bracket (P/N 10961) will fix the cylinder problem, but I really don't know what to do about the transmission clearance problem. The header will bolt up, but it is pressed up tight to the corner of the pan, and that can't be good.
Another little problem, I need a heater hose to intake manifold fitting (the curved pipe type). The old one is of course all corroded and is unusable. I found a different style that is a hex shaped with a cast tube coming out at a right angle, but it is slightly shorter than the curved one and hits on the intake manifold (I'm using a Edelbrock Performer intake). Anybody have a source for the curved tube type fitting?????
Oh well, as long as I'm asking questions, anybody have any recommendations for aftermarket air cleaners. With the Edelbrock intake and carb, the original air cleaner would fit (my preference), but the air cleaner hits the distributer (Ready to Run MSD pro-billet).
Thanks for the help,
-Brian

Logan
August 6th, 2001, 08:46 AM
KassonCougar...

My 6901's have 1/4" of clearance to the drivers side of the fmx pan. However, they did touch on the passenger side. Use a dremel or grinder to grind a 1/4" of clearance and you'll be fine.

As for the power steering ram, I've got at least an inch of clearance between my ram's boot and the bottom of the header, WITH the stock drop bracket. How are your motor mounts? Sure you don't have a busted/worn out mount?

If not, you CAN use the drop bracket, but a word of advice and a caveat. If you use the drop bracket, don't throw the old one away, you'll hate yourself later. Also, WELD in addition to bolt on the drop bracket. The longer bracket exponentially increases the stress on the attachment point. Lastly, the drop bracket changes the steering geometry, so don't be surprised when your steering feels funny.

Luckily, I didn't have to use the drop bracket, and a quick shot of the dremel's grinder took care of the fmx to header issue.

KassonCougar
August 6th, 2001, 11:14 AM
Logan,
I have lots (like you can stick your hand up between the header and the transmission) of room on the passenger side. Do you think the difference could be the convertible? I think there are different motor mounts between the convertibles and the rest (mine are now new since one was broken). Do you think it is possible to heat and bend the header tubes to pull it away (and maybe clear the steering ram also)? I take it you dremeled away at the transmission pan.
By the way, have you heard any rumors about someone taking over Stang-It, maybe buying out the company???
Thanks again,
-Brian

Logan
August 6th, 2001, 01:14 PM
I doubt you'd be able to heat bend the header tubes very well.

I actually took the dremel to the header flange...

As for stang-it, I haven't heard that the company itself is being bought, just some of the inventory, molds and dies...

modifiedmark
August 6th, 2001, 11:22 PM
Logan, are there any numbers stamped or any other identifying marks on you hookers? My headers were on my car when I got it but they sound like the ones you have as they do not require a drop bracket and the collectors are pretty close the the FMX's pan. There so close that I had to pull them apart as much as I could by hand and twist the pan to get it removed when I was doing my shift lever seal replacement. Just curious as it would be nice to know the origion of mine for future reference. mm

Logan
August 7th, 2001, 09:11 AM
I'll look tonight and see, I got mine from a swap meet, new, in the original box for $70, they're definately 6901's... I know there's a hooker badge riveted to one of the primaries on the driver's side at least...

KassonCougar
August 9th, 2001, 08:38 AM
Logan,
I was browsing back through some old threads, and noticed you are using a MSD distributor. We must be on somewhat on the same wavelength, it sounds like what I'm trying to do with my convertible, you have already done. I don't know how generous with your knowledge you are, so I'll tell you what I have done (and plan on doing) with mine, and see if I can pry some hints or other useful info from you.
It is a 69 XR7 convertible, 351W 2V with FMX & air. The plan for the car was to be a project for me and my son-who wanted to be a mechanic (if he couldn't be a race car driver). I had the car for about 5 years, and never got the chance to do much with it (other than purchase restoring items - carpet, weatherstrip, top etc.). Well, the son grew up and moved out and I finally decided to get going on the car. Since my mechanic (my son went to Vo-Tech, for automechanics) moved away, I decided that if the motor and tranny were going to get rebuilt, someone else was going to have to do it. I had the local NAPA shop rebuild the motor and a transmission shop rebuild the transmission. I picked out the cam, intake, carb and headers for the motor, and the NAPA guy (who is a big motorhead) suggested a MSD ready to run distributor. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer as is the carb (600 with electric choke). Hooker Comp headers.
Now with the MSD distributor, my factory air cleaner doesn't fit, does yours? Edelbrock has a Signature series, but I'm not sure the 14" will clear the distributor. Summit Racing has a 13" Ford Racing air cleaner that should work (even has the PCV hoe adapter). Any ideas on either of those? And what about height restrictions? I'd also like to know what size wheel and tires will fit under the fenders. I'm planning on going with the 15" Magnum 500 wheels, but, what is the max size tires you can get too with out hitting (especially up front).

Any other help you (or anybody else) can provide, and pitfalls to avoid, would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Logan
August 9th, 2001, 09:38 AM
I'm running the MSD Billet Distributor, which is the wide body dist... For an aircleaner, I'm running a repro of a HiPo 289 Chrome air cleaner... Any Mustang vendor sells em. It fits fine...

The MSD Pro-Billet is the same dimensions as a stock dist, but is more expensive than the billet. I love my MSD setup, it works awesome... I'm also running a blaster 2 coil, 8.5mm plug wires and a MSD 6AL ignition box...

As for wheel/tire combos, up front, you can safely go up to a 245/60/15 with no problems on a 7in rim...3.5-4.5 backspace is fine...

In the rear, I SQUISHED 295/50/15's under there, but you have you be deadon with your backspacing on the rim. For 295's you need a 8" rim with 4-4.5" backspacing. 275's in my opinion, are a cleaner fit.

Go see this link for pics of my cat and it's engine bay...

https://www.mercurycougar.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=430

The engine bay has since been cleaned up alot...

KassonCougar
August 9th, 2001, 03:13 PM
Logan,
That looks really nice... I wish mine was 1/2 that nice right now. It's tough waiting to even be able to drive it (since the weather has been so warm up here this year, it makes it even worse). Thanks for the information.