Wiring harness [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Wiring harness

70-eliminator
June 6th, 2001, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know if a 70 standard Cougar that did not have a tach would have the wiring in the harness for a tach?

Logan
June 6th, 2001, 06:32 PM
Doesn't matter. All you need to do is connect the red wire to your positive coil, and the black wire to any 'ol ground and the tach will work just fine...

Ray
June 7th, 2001, 11:03 AM
The std Cougar will not have the wires in.I have a 70 wire harnesss that does and also I have a few org tachs if you need anything let me know THX& catz ya later

Knucklebuster
June 7th, 2001, 11:10 AM
Ray, do you have '69 standard dash tachs? I owned on 69 that had an empty guage, and one that had a clock in the empty slot, but I vaguely remember reading that a tach was an option for that slot. Is my brain playing tricks on me, or did a standard Cougar tach exist as an option?

Ray
June 7th, 2001, 11:34 AM
The spot you are referring to was for the clock only as far as I know.The tach was part of the XR7 and Eliminator pkg.One client I have has put an after market tach in his std 70 Cougar where the clock would be and looks quite good.The tachs I have are the XR7 and E style.I converted one of my 69's to a 70 E/clone and changed over the wire harness in an afternoon.I have to guess that the std Cougar tach was a dealer option that went on column or similar area.I use me ear as a tach when driving.Kinda hard to look ahead and down at the same time.OK Catz ya