Shock Towers [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Shock Towers

TheRktmn
June 4th, 2001, 04:48 PM
Are the shock towers for a 69 Mustang the same for a 69 Cougar? I have seen new towers for Mustangs, but not for Cougars.

Logan
June 4th, 2001, 06:07 PM
ooooooooo Good question!

Anyone? I would think that they'd be the same, but I'm not sure...

Ray
June 4th, 2001, 08:20 PM
They are the same as Mustang however the Cougar ones have the added brace only seen on bigblock and Boss Mustangs.The Mustang community is always looking for our shock towers from 69/70 so beware .Also note that if you are thinking of using a Mustang frt clip the Cougar fenders are too long up frt for Mustang clip.I have a 70 fastback that I'm considering putting a Cougar clip on and then Cougar doors and 1/4s as well as the dash lower portion is same and would look real nice with an XR7 dash cluster.Anyone else got a 70 Cougar fastback?

TheRktmn
June 4th, 2001, 08:36 PM
Thanks Ray. The Paddock is advertising New Shock Towers with the brace for $99.00 each. Since I am replacing all other metal under the hood I wanted to do the towers as well. I was afraid that
towers would only fit after "some modifications". I'd like to see that fastback - the best of both worlds....

I H8 GM
June 5th, 2001, 09:59 PM
Two stories related to this topic.

First, when my buddy was restoring his 69 Mach 1, he called me to help decipher the strange VIN number he found when he pulled the fenders off. These codes don't show up in any of my Mustang books he told me. Of course they didn't, it was a 69 Cougar VIN. Seems somebody had killed a kitty to save a horse.

Secondly, many years ago I got a tip about a 70 Boss 302 Stang for sale. Drove out to the middle of nowhere, and of course it wasn't a real Boss. It did however have a XR7 dash!!! Made me do a double take. I always wondered if anybody else ever had the same idea.

Ray, will your creation be a Cougstang, or a Mustogar ??

Ray
June 5th, 2001, 11:10 PM
I think that would be the catchy name don't you?I have the car sickness real bad and am also considering building a 67 Fairlane sedan delivery out of a Ranchero/Wagon cross.Any requests?:cool:

Cougrrcj
June 6th, 2001, 03:08 PM
Under the skin, the 67-73 Cougar and Mustang are identical from the front of the chassis to the front rear leaf spring eye. From that point on back, the Cougar uses a longer frame rail. To make the point go even further, the Torino/Montego of 70-71 shares the same fron subframe assembly as a 71-73 Cougar/Mustang! So, If you want any under-the-skin parts for a Cougar, all you have to do is look up the appropriate Mustang pieces.

I once thought (but only thought) about grafting a 71-2 Mustang Mach 1 nose and doors onto a 71-73 Cougar. (Hadda use the 'Stang doors because of the mid-panel body line) NASA hood, 'fog lamps', and the urethane front bumper would look slick on a Cougar body shell. Oh, well...Cougtang/Mustgar on hold....

Then starting in 74, the Cougar and Torino shared the same full-frame platform. Then in 77 the Cougar, Torino and T-Bird shared the same chassis. This combination can make quite a few weird combinations. Take a Cougar nose on a Ranchero and you have a Cougaroo, a T-roo is the similar T-Bird nose on a Ranchero. Don't laugh, I have seen one Cougaroo and one T-roo back in the day...BTW, remember that there was once a <shudder> Cougar station wagon in the late 70s!