Ode to a Headliner... [Archive] - Classic Cougar Forums

: Ode to a Headliner...

Logan
May 26th, 2001, 05:38 PM
I'm not much of a poet, so I won't bother to try...

Having never installed a headliner in a 69 Coupe before, I figured, aw heck, it came with instructions, I can figure this out...

...and yes, after 4 hours of cursing, *****ing and convorting, it's in. ...and me with half an inch of rock hard glue coating every pore up to my elbows. I have relatively hairy arms. This is going to hurt. :(

The lesson of the day... is to always premark where the coat hanger hooks, shoulder belt mounts and window visor mounts are on the roof BEFORE gluing the headliner in place absolutely perfectly.

Oh and a good hairdryer is a frickin REQUIREMENT for THIS job...

Ugh. That was not fun.

krugar67
May 26th, 2001, 06:37 PM
I invented a few new words ripping my 67 XR7 dash out today.Now my back hurts and my neck is stiff.Always good to hear tips on winning the interior war,Logan.I'll be there soon enough and can use all the help I can get.

Is the hair drier for your arms?:)

Have a great Memorial Day weekend.

Logan
May 26th, 2001, 08:07 PM
Took me a good half hour to get the glue off... Ugh..

The hair dryer is to set up the glue quickly so you don't have to remain in some VERY unnatural positions for very long... :)

modifiedmark
May 26th, 2001, 09:10 PM
Your right Logan I wouldnt want to do the headliner job every day. I'm glad you got it done, how dose it look? It's worth the trouble isnt it? Your right about premarking, my brother warned me about that ahead of time when we done mine. Dont' worry the glue will wear off in about a week.

1fatcat
May 27th, 2001, 07:12 AM
oh the love we have for our cars, I too have had the glue in every port of the arms head and body,but I found it only takes two weeks for the glue to come off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but the headliners do look so nice......
did you take out the back window?

Logan
May 27th, 2001, 04:03 PM
modifiedmark: Looks great! Barely any creases at all, and once I put the headliner trim items back on, that'll cinch it up a little bit more. It looks professionally done, so I guess I can't complain.

fatcat: Fortunately, the car just came back from the body shop recently, so the rear window gasket is brand new. Easy enough to shove the excess headliner underneath.

Now, on to finishing off the weatherstripping and dash re-assembly.